how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

New Rogers Gateway

Rogers is now promoting a new Advanced Wi-Fi Modem. It is yet another gateway. They are renting for $12.00 per month and selling for $249.95. It is another Hitron. Would love to hear any comments from people who have tried this one!

»www.newswire.ca/en/story/1208629···i-fi-yet

»www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
said by Hooter:

They are renting for $12.00 per month .....

That's friggin' ridiculous. $12 a month. Just to RENT a Gateway. That's almost $15 with tax or $180 a year. Rogers and their cash grabbing scams. It's enough to make you want to puke.

Can you imagine what your internet bill for Express 25/2 80 GB would look like AFTER the Aug 24 price gouge? It would be OVER $70 A MONTH taxes in including the $12 rental fee!!!!!! OVER $70 A MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!................

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
It is interesting to see the history of modem rentals from Rogers! First they were free, then $4 per month, increasing to $7-8 per month and now $12 per month! You're right elitefx - it is ridiculous!

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Hooter
Unfortunately Hitron at least so far does not have just a modem utilizing the Puma 6 chipset. At least for the customers that do want the built in wireless support that they now have an option which supports the 5GHz band. I am betting with Rogers rolling out a modem supporting more than 8 downstream channels that they will roll out a new speed tier sometime in the future, probably not that far out.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to elitefx
Nothing is stopping you from purchasing the modem to not incur the monthly rental fee.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Hooter
You did notice the price of the equipment is not the same?

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
What about customers who would simply like a good, stand alone, D3 modem? Of course I can purchase, but you would have to understand any customer being hesitant to purchase another possible POS modem at a cost of $250! Of course the price of the equipment is not the same! Rogers keeps raising the price for inferior equipment. It is not too hard to understand!

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
I think the issue here (aside from Rogers escalating rental fees) is that it doesn't matter the vendor, make ,model or capabilities of ANY Rogers hardware because ONE FIRMWARE FLASH FROM ROGERS and the thing will be reduced to a nearly inoperable malfunctioning ruin.

Rogers has proven time and again that they know less than nothing about firmware. Purchasing (the smart move) is out of the question knowing your Brand New privately owned unit will be targetted for an update/bricking by Rogers.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Hooter
Go complain to Hitron.

Are you really living under a rock? You haven't noticed as this equipment improves in feature set/speed/wireless capabilities that the price goes up? This isn't rocket science and this has nothing to do with the CPE vendor or Rogers.

It seems to be hard for you to understand.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Rogers has proven time and again that they know less than nothing about firmware. Purchasing is out of the question when your privately owned unit will be targetted for an update/bricking by Rogers.

You're such a drama queen.

elitefx

London, ON
said by 34764170:

You're such a drama queen.

Maybe so but you know I'm right......

Etobicoke, ON
Where are all these users complaining of literally bricked modems? I want to see all these posts.

elitefx

London, ON
said by 34764170:

Where are all these users complaining of literally bricked modems? I want to see all these posts.

Buried in the Rogers forum albeit I think the majority were about the Rogers PVR?? last year but there was discussion about the various Rogers issued Hitron modems and firmware updates. We've been down this path many times. The best minds here (not mine LOL) all took a shot at it.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to 34764170
Not hard for me to understand that Rogers is providing inferior modems with poor wifi range and suffering dropped connections but raising the prices with every new POS modem they provide. Why would I complain to Hitron? It is Rogers that chooses the equipment they provide and it is Rogers that I pay for service. There is better equipment available but Rogers chooses not to provide it. I understand it very well Brad, but obviously some of us do not!

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to Hooter
Right...so without even getting remotely close to the new modem and let alone actually using it, people have already made up their mind that its a POS....

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Hooter
LOL. You're too funny, but in a sad way.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to technocar2
I have not made up my my mind at all. I am genuinely interested in comments about this modem. The bottom line though is that the current D3 modems all have issues and every new modem comes with a higher price. At $12 per month to rent, or $250 to purchase, I would hope that this modem is really damn good! With Roger's history of providing inferior equipment, it is a little hard not to be just a little bit skeptical! Your own comment in this thread (»[Extreme] Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem suppo) also indicates that you too are not completely happy with the current equipment from Rogers. I keep hoping for something good, but it does get a little disheartening!

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to 34764170
You are not funny at all! Too bad you cannot address the issues though instead of making snide comments!

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Hooter
said by Hooter:

Why would I complain to Hitron?

They can't buy a modem the vendor doesn't produce.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
Hitron is not the only vendor! Motorola D3 modems get great reviews.

Etobicoke, ON
It is when Rogers chooses to deal with that vendor. You haven't noticed Rogers doesn't provide Motorola modems? That also isn't a modem utilizing the Puma 6 chipset.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Hooter
You're with Rogers and you are hoping they'll do something good? As in actually truly caring about their customers.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
OK! You got me there Brad. I never have much hope for Rogers based on their past performance. I cannot help be interested though when they introduce a new product.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to Hooter
Never have I said I was unhappy with the hitron modem. In fact I've said in bridge mode its excellent, only reason I got rid of it was to save on rental fees and my preference to stand alone modem and thus I got the SB6141.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Hooter
I will say its a piece of junk, and I don't need to use it. All consumer grade routers are. I don't care what firmware, from what company, or vendor, you are running. They are the most underpowered garbage you can buy, if you do anything more than the most basic of routing. You might as well just buy a unmanaged switch and save a few dollars. The specs are always over stated, and are usually for a few users. (2)

I have yet to test one router that has URL blocking, access blocking, parental control, media streaming, QOS, OpenVpn (30-50Mbps++ capabilities) great firewall, fully working iptables, ip by wan routing, etc, all working. Most sh1t the bed if you try to get into anything the specs say it has, with any real amount of bandwidth or processor requirements.

Best thing I ever did was build my own, use free software. The only thing I regret, is I didn't do it sooner.

Why Rogers won't give customers a simple modem is beyond me. I don't care how much media hype the Rogers losers sling, most wireless access points have issues with signal, which is why, in many homes, you need more than one.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Hooter
»www.hitrontech.com/en/cable_detail.php?id=64
Date sheet »www.hitrontech.com/doc/product/6···heet.pdf
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Hooter
why aren't more rogers customers complaining/reporting problems w/their service and/or hardware? most tek savvy/heavy bandwidth users left rogers along time ago, most of the ones that are left are light to moderate users that don't know their service/hardware is having any problems.
eg., my own brother pays over $200 +tx for tv/internet, doesn't stream anything except for some youtube clips, uses internet for browsing and email on a ipad and sometimes a laptop, if his service was ever slowed down he would probably never notice it, its customers like him that give rogers a sh*t load of money and as a result makes rogers charge for things the way they do because they know they can get suckers to pay

Hooter

Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to JCohen
Thanks for this JCohen.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Hooter
Great ... it says DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS compliant and EuroDOCSIS 3.0 Certified

What does THAT mean ? Pre-release for DOCSIS/North America? Why not Certified here? Does it bode that we're going to face potential compatibility issues until they finally certify it?

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
said by sbrook:

Great ... it says DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS compliant and EuroDOCSIS 3.0 Certified

What does THAT mean ? Pre-release for DOCSIS/North America? Why not Certified here? Does it bode that we're going to face potential compatibility issues until they finally certify it?

Why does it say on the last page "Data rate up to 120 Mbps with 4 upstream channel bonding"... typo?
--
Hello