spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LostSierras

@sbcglobal.net

modem lock

My Wildblue connection stopped working several weeks ago at my remote cabin. Power cycling the modem resulted in the modem appearing to range and negotiate ( 3 blinks on downlink, random uplink blinks ) and then it appeared to download new firmware ( 4 blinks on downlink ) but it never achieves modem lock ( solid downlink ) and then it cycles through the whole process of 1 blink then 2, then the uplink starts blinking, then the downlink blinks 3 times and uplink randomly blinks, but never reaches a solid downlink LED. The dish is apparently peaked as confirmed with the push test.

My question is does the fact that I am negotiating and downloaded new firmware mean that my TRIA ( and modem for that matter) is good? I also heard that there was some network maintenance on WB's part that caused people to lose their connection and at least 1 tech support person thought that this might be the issue and WB could fix it remotely, but that hasn't happened.

The next WB person told me they think I need to change the proxy connection on my computer using their wpad.dat file, but does that have anything to do with not achieving modem lock?

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
Your TRIA is probably okay, but not necessarily your modem.

You can not reload the wpad.dat file until your modem successfully connects with the gateway. It is not preventing your modem from connecting.

Because you did not mention it, I think I had better. Did you power cycle your modem after it received the firmware update?
--
Wildblue Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

LostSierras

@sbcglobal.net
Yes- dozens of power cycles always with the same result; it looks like it is going to work, but never achieves modem lock and just repeats the whole process over and over.

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL
You don't say where your cabin is located, but sounds like you may have had some severe weather pass over the area and winds may have moved your dish, or lightning may have damaged your Tria or modem...and sometimes moisture gets into one of the coax connectors...

You can call customer service and ask them to look at your installation from their side of the satellite..sometimes they can spot the problem, else you may have to bite the bullet and schedule a service call..

The way you describe your system I take it you are a Legacy customer, Value/Select or Pro Pak plan...??

It always helps if you provide the location of the installation, and your spot beam number so other customers on your same beam can offer their observations..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

LostSierras

@sbcglobal.net
The cabin is in Northern California, Beam 021. I have been a WB Value Pak customer since 2005.

I replaced the coax connectors at the dish as the copper looked a bit tarnished; no change. I then moved the modem to within about 20 feet of the dish with short 3 Ghz rated RG-6 cables to make sure my ~100ft run from the pole mount to the cabin wasn't the problem; no change.

I verified that the dish is peaked by pushing-pulling in 4 directions and confirmed that the highest reading on my Aspen Eagle SM-22 meter is achieved at the resting position. I have done this with and without my APA inline (filter position 3) with no difference. I do not have attenuators so those have not been used during any of my dish alignment confirmation.

A cabin a few hundred yards away also has WB and I noticed that his skew is set to 90 degrees. I have tried mine at both 90 and at the work order specified 101.8, and then also at the meter peak position of about 99 degrees; no change. How important is skew to the signal? I assume I should use the highest meter setting? Other than his skew, the azimuth and elevation appear to be the same as mine.

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL
Skew is not the problem, although many installers swear by it..I'm one of those that have no skew...mine is set at 90 degrees and I've always had above average speeds and reliability.

Sounds like you've narrowed your problem down to a failed/or failing, Tria or modem..CS may be able to see the problem from their side of the satellite...but you're probably looking at a service call to fix your problem..

Good luck..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
reply to LostSierras
Skew should have been set by the installer when the terminal was put in.

The boresight gain is the same regardless of skew setting. So it the antenna is peaked properly skew will not have any effect on the Tx or Rx levels.

The skew setting does effect the orientation of off-axis emissions from the antenna.

So what setting skew does do is to properly align the widest dimension of the antenna with the geostationary orbital arc. The antenna beam is narrower where the antenna is wider and this both presents the least amount of interference to adjacent satellites in the uplink direction as well as providing the most rejection of interference from them in the downlink direction.

LostSierras

@sbcglobal.net
Viasatguy-

Great explanation on the effect of skew, thanks.

Do you have any thoughts on what may be my problem? The outfit that installed my equipment back in 2005 no longer services my area, so I am having a really hard time getting help.

Regards
T

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
Sorry, no idea,

But you might try the WildBlueWorld forum. The mods there are pretty helpful: »www.wildblueworld.com/forum/forum.php