how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone

Re: 24 by 8 channel bonding modem for atpia

Of course, but you also have to consider what the MSO might want to do relatively soon vs having to wait years to do.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Planning and deploying wide-scale bandwidth expansions to a plant don't happen overnight, either.

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
I never claimed it does, but it is at least possible to do so. Carriers want options. Some might choose to do things in the near term and others might want to push things out way into the future. The Canadian carriers in general are more aggressive about cable network upgrades versus the US carriers.

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14
reply to 34764170
wouldn't GPON be a better investment for any area that requires any significant upgrades?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by eeeaddict:

wouldn't GPON be a better investment for any area that requires any significant upgrades?

Replacing any sort of existing coax with fibre is an undertaking of epic proportions. Even so, the cable companies in Ontario have more RFoG out there than Bell does GPON. Throwing GPON onto the same fibre as RFoG isn't all too big of a deal for the cable companies if that was the route they wanted to go, but right now they really don't need to.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to BTC Kevin
Old thread but...

said by BTC Kevin:

But until Rogers drops the Analog TV stations to open up some digital channel space, ain't going to happen.

Rogers is indeed dropping some analog channels and moving them to digital. According to my latest bill, 2 will be dropped on October 1st and 5 more on October 21st.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Fraoch:

Rogers is indeed dropping some analog channels and moving them to digital. According to my latest bill, 2 will be dropped on October 1st and 5 more on October 21st.

Cogeco in Hamilton and Halton Region have no analog - period. They are 100% digital systems.

Most of Cogeco's systems have been 80% digital for the last few years as it is, with only 2 through 13 or 2 through 28 being analog.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Fraoch
Rogers has dropped analog channels in a lot if not most areas quite awhile ago.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by 34764170:

Rogers has dropped analog channels in a lot if not most areas quite awhile ago.

Every last one? Not even 2 through 12 analog? I'd like to know what systems those are. I'm curious.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
I still get channels 2-45 analog. Come October, it will be 2-40.

OT: although Rogers states I can get a "free digital adapter", when I enter my cable number account on their site it states I'm "ineligible"?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to MJB
Rogers has a 24x8 combo already being used by customers.

We're currently waiting on a decision for 2013-80, which would confirm that Rogers is non-compliant with the cable modem decision (»crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2004/dt20 ··· 4-37.htm)
quote:
77. Accordingly, the Commission confirms its preliminary views that:

*no second-level testing is required for a cable modem previously found to be compatible with the cable carrier's network or that is the same model as that used by the cable carrier for its customers; and
*modems submitted to a cable carrier for second-level testing must be DOCSIS-certified.
ie, there's no reason at all not to allow it on TPIA. If the CRTC confirms 2004-37 is still in play (which it should), then it needs to rule Rogers non-compliant, and immediately allow the Rogers Hitron & the new Rogers 24x8 to be used on TPIA.

This would give TPIA time to get their own pure modem through Rogers' 2nd level cable modem testing - if required.. THAT is also being decided with 2013-80.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
Some, not all. AFAIK the focus was on improving the upstream channel configuration first. But they will eventually get rid of all analog all together.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

OT: although Rogers states I can get a "free digital adapter", when I enter my cable number account on their site it states I'm "ineligible"?

I'm surprised you guys have that much analog left over as it is.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

Some, not all. AFAIK the focus was on improving the upstream channel configuration first. But they will eventually get rid of all analog all together.

One would reasonable assume that those two projects could work in tandem.

Etobicoke, ON
They need to remove the channels before they can do that or am I misunderstanding what it is you meant by that comment?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
If they're anything like Cogeco territory, they've already been duplicating the analog channels in digital for years. All they need to do is turn off the analog so that it can be eventually retasked for something else, be it television QAMs or DOCSIS. There's no reason it has to be one or another.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
There should not be. It is way overdue. Next step is completing the roll out of a full IPTV based environment and start eliminating digital cable.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
Yes, that is the case and yes they should have turned out the lights so to to speak awhile ago.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

There should not be. It is way overdue. Next step is completing the roll out of a full IPTV based environment and start eliminating digital cable.

Cogeco already uses a shitload of SDV. It's not perfect, but it's a start. I believe Cablevision down in the US is more gung-ho about IPTV-over-DOCSIS.

Etobicoke, ON
Rogers does as well, but IPTV is better for them in a number of different aspects. They announced their plans I think it was 2 years ago and they seem to be more aggressive than any other North American MSO moving in this direction.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

There's no reason it has to be one or another.

To clarify I meant turning off the channels for them to use the spectrum for the upstream channels. Yes they could turn off the rest of the analog service all together and don't need to wait to do that vs doing the upstream reconfiguration.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Upstream channels are another matter entirely. You're not going to see upstream moving out of the T band and into VHF and FM until DOCSIS 3.1 is out.

Etobicoke, ON
It is but it doesn't change the fact that they had to get rid of some of the analog channels so that we could have the gains we're receiving now. I'm talking about gains now not the gains that will come from D3.1; plus D3.1 won't come for another 3 years.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
They need to free up that bandwidth before they can even start planning for 3.1, anyway.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to Fraoch
said by Fraoch:

If you have a digital box, and only one outlet(on billing), then yes you are ineligible. If you have have one outlet(on billing) with no digital box/hd/pvr then you are eligible for one outlet.

If you have one outlet on billing and 4 TV's connected and you want to have 3 outlets added to billing. You have to pay to have somebody come out to see if the existing outlets you have are good and then add the outlets & adaptors, or install new outlets & install the adaptors.

Or it's a glitch, call in.
--
Hello

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Rogers still charges for additional outlets? Seriously?