spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zefie
join:2007-07-18
Hudson, NY

zefie

Profit

Its nothing more than a profit grab. I'd rather have no cap, with the caveat that once in a while my internet will not be the full speed promised, than have caps. I wonder, if they surveyed their customer base, how many would agree? Why not ask your customers "would you rather have slowdowns, or be limited to how much you can use a month?" .. simply because they don't care. They are placing value in something that has no value. The wire and fiber has value, the data traveling through it does not.

Why isn't it like satellite? If satellite internet providers, who are servicing multiple states with the same bird in space, can manage a fair usage policy that allows a bonus at night, why can't a local cable provider, or a local cellular tower, that only services a small area?

With 4G, we don't get a bonus at night. When I use my 4G at 2am while everyone else is likely in bed, why does it still cost me the same as if I use it when 100+ others are on the network? It should be unlimited off-peak, or at the very least, only count half towards your cap. If I 'whore' the tower at 2am, who am I hurting? The other guy who might have the same idea? So what? When more users start accessing the service, and it starts dropping the quality of the service below a certain threshold, then you can limit our throughput. No need to limit our total transfer. Have a special reserve or priority system for emergency management services, so they are guaranteed access. No one loses in this instance, not even the provider. They just don't profit as much as they could with these scams. Same with cable.

Nothing about caps is for the greater good of the people, only the greater good of the company's bank account.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Profit

said by zefie:

Its nothing more than a profit grab..

If no one goes over the cap how much profit do they make?
zefie
Hudson, NY

zefie

If everyone goes over, how much more does it cost them?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

you are suggesting a scenario that is not remotely close to ever happening.
zefie
Hudson, NY

zefie

The likelihood doesn't matter. If it does not cost them more, but costs me more, its called profit.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

First of all off for profit companies trying to make profit in a country whose economy is based on capitalism? Oh my!

Second if you don't go over the cap it's not costing you more. Not sure which part of that you're not getting yet.