Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

Ultra TV Wireless Media Players

I currently have 2 of the original coax connected ones and am looking at adding a 3rd media player.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the new wireless media players? I know that the Ultra TV gateway's wi-fi is far from the best so do people experience frequent connection issues with these? Will using one create a noticeable impact on wi-fi network traffic to our laptops?
--

notyettt

@wideopenwest.com
They dont have wireless media players, they are all connected using coax.

stet
Volitar Prime

Utica, MI
Not according to WOW's support. I called asking about the cost of adding a 3rd media player as well as the cost of having a line run since the location where we want it doesn't currently have one. I was told it is $9/month and that they don't have to run a coax drop anymore since they are now wireless. He even offered me the option of upgrading my other 2 media players to the new wireless ones too which I may consider accepting if they work as well as the coax connected ones (I have my doubts which is why I asked here). It would let me easily move a TV to a different wall in the room it is in which is something my wife has been bugging me to do.

One thing I didn't ask and kick myself for not doing so is if I would have to also upgrade my gateway or not. This could be the deciding factor since we have a lot of shows recorded on it now that we don't want to lose at this time.
--

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

1 edit
reply to stet
Are you sure you have WOW cable? I thought only AT&T has wireless cable boxes.

And it's $10 a month per box, not $9.

Nevermind that.. Just checked their website and it's now $9 a box after the first two. Looks like they lowered the price.

And I just checked their website for anything about wireless media players and it's not there.

stet
Volitar Prime

Utica, MI
Oh I'm quite sure that I have WOW. I was also one of the first to get Ultra TV when it rolled out last year. The equipment that I have is from the original "early adopter" roll out that took place based on waiting lists (generated from here) before Ultra TV was even mentioned on their site.

So, since my equipment is as old as it can get for Ultra TV it didn't surprise me to hear from a CSR that there would be newer versions already. The CSR I spoke to refused to quote me a price on adding another cable drop stating that it won't be needed due to these new wireless media players. And like I said above, he kept pushing the idea of replacing the 2 that I have with the new ones though never mentioned any need to replace the gateway (something I don't want to do).

I also looked around their site to find any info on them but couldn't find anything which is why I asked here.

Unfortunately I haven't committed on getting a 3rd one yet as we still need to actually purchase the 3rd TV (may happen this upcoming week depending on sales). The call was really just to see what WOW's costs would be for the third box and we decided that we can live with the extra $9/month.
--

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to stet
Well that just sucks

I went ahead and pulled coax to every room in my house already. Also pulled three cat5e data to every room as well but that's an added bonus. I was pulling for future TV's for when my son and future kid(s) get old enough and want a TV in their rooms.

Ever went into your attic when it's 90F+ degrees out? I think I lost 5 pounds in 30 minutes while I drilled holes into my wall beams lol.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
reply to stet
said by stet:

I currently have 2 of the original coax connected ones and am looking at adding a 3rd media player.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the new wireless media players? I know that the Ultra TV gateway's wi-fi is far from the best so do people experience frequent connection issues with these? Will using one create a noticeable impact on wi-fi network traffic to our laptops?

There are no such thing as wireless media players at this time. All media players run over coax.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to stet
I can only imagine how utterly miserable the performance would be if they did exist, at least paired with the current Gateway and it's inadequate wireless range.

So far I like just about everything about the UTV, at least in relation to WOW's alternative DVR option, but the WiFi range on the gateway is worse than any stand alone router I have ever used in the past 10+ years, including the craptastic Microsoft MN-500 I had in 2002 or so. I live in a 1300 square foot ranch with thin walls (the 2x4 studs are sideways) and the gateway's wireless doesn't reach but maybe a third of the house.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
If a firmware update could double or triple the power output of the gateway wireless, it would solve almost everything. At least my old linksys router paired with dd-wrt firmware could overclock the power output for extra range.

I bought a cheap monoprice PoE AP for $35 and it outperforms the wireless on the gateway in every way. Imagine if I spent $100+ on a good one that was made for business use?

stet
Volitar Prime

Utica, MI
reply to stet
Well, I called again now to actually schedule having a 3rd line run for a 3rd media player. I was once again told that they don't have to run a line since the media players are wireless. I asked if she was sure since the 2 that I currently have are not wireless and she said that they can replace them with new ones while they are there. I'm scheduled for them to bring them over and set them up next Friday (the 23rd) so we'll see what they bring.

I once again forgot to ask if they have to replace the gateway, I really hope not since we have a lot of shows recorded on it that we still need to catch up on.
--

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to stet
lol three media players on the wireless that is built into the gateway... have fun with shows cutting in and out and not using wireless for anything else.

I still believe only AT&T has wireless receivers... unless it's so new that wow_dan doesn't even know about them yet.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
said by Body Count:

I still believe only AT&T has wireless receivers... unless it's so new that wow_dan doesn't even know about them yet.

The manufacturer doesn't even make wireless versions of the media players currently, so I can say with certainty that we do not have any wireless media players at this time.