All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cjoseph
join:2013-08-09

cjoseph

[Bill] Furious about erroneous modem rental fee

I've owned my own cable modem for a long time. For some reason, over the past few months, Comcast has repeatedly snuck it back into my bill. Each time, I received an email about a "new service order", and it shows an estimated bill with the modem rental fee. The first time, I called Comcast, and the CSR asked me to prove that I own the modem. I don't keep receipts once I confirm that the product is working fine. A few weeks later, it happens again. I contact Comcast, and once again, they ask me to provide the serial from my modem, which I just gave them weeks ago.

Now, when I check my customer profile online, I see that it no longer says customer owned modem. It has the MAC of my modem, but an incorrect serial number - probably of a Comcast modem. Interestingly enough, the new modem online matches mine - SB6121.

What the heck is the deal with these people?!

I started a free trial with Clear. If it works out - goodbye.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

My online info has never said customer owned or not, don't even see a space for it. I do keep receipts for many electronics or at least a scanned image on a computer with a backup for insurance if nothing else.
I think someone checked the wrong box at some point making them think it's a rental modem, the problem is that it takes someone from accounting to uncheck the box (so that newbie CSR's don't just "give away" company modems the first time somebody tries to scam them.
So if you call during the week with it as a billing problem, and patiently work your way up the line you'll get some who'll send a ticket to the right person who can actual change the DB.
Many of the first people you talk to claim they can do it, in good faith, but fail on the follow through.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
said by cjoseph:

Now, when I check my customer profile online, I see that it no longer says customer owned modem. It has the MAC of my modem, but an incorrect serial number - probably of a Comcast modem. Interestingly enough, the new modem online matches mine - SB6121.

What the heck is the deal with these people?!

I cannot comment on the customer profile if it actually does say "Customer Owned Modem" or not, as I've always rented.
However, I do want to point out that the Serial # listed will not be your actual serial number. If you look at it, and look at the digits of the MAC Address that is listed, they will match (again, just the digits).

Not sure why they do it that way, and I know I asked once about it in another thread. I think it has to do with Security, or maybe the fact that the MAC Address can also be used as the serial number, as it is a unique number for the device.

--Brian
RockOrange
join:2002-01-24
Chattanooga, TN

RockOrange to cjoseph

to cjoseph
I have also had problems with them charging me a modem rental fee. I have owned my own modem since I first added cable internet in 2001. I have received two notices recemtly that said a recent audit of my account showed that they had forgotten to charge me the rental fee, and effective immediately it would be added. I was able to call and have it removed, but expect them to try to add it again soon. On my customer profile, it does not say the modem is customer owned. It has all zeros for the modem serial number, and lists only the MAC address.
Expand your moderator at work

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: [Bill] Furious about erroneous modem rental fee

Click for full size
said by plencnerb:

I cannot comment on the customer profile if it actually does say "Customer Owned Modem" or not, as I've always rented.

It says rented or customer owned at the "Browse offers" link in your account management. Then you click the "View Your Current Services" drop down menu.
Foxy1
join:2010-04-10
Eugene, OR

Foxy1 to cjoseph

to cjoseph
I have always owned my own modem. As noted by plencnerb above, the Equipment section of my account online shows the MAC Address in the Serial Number and Mac Address. It does not state that it is customer owned. My monthly bill however does state "Owned Modem" and shows a $0 charge each month.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
Click for full size
My Comcast profile is so absolutely wrong it could be another person I'm viewing.

1) Account shows as TV connected ... I haven't had Comcast cableTV for 10 years. Why is cableTV being shown as connected?
2) Equipment shows a Motorola SB5100 modem that I have not had provisioned on my account for over a year.
3) My current modem is a self-purchased, customer owned (NOT Comcast Property) Motorola SB6121 which has been working flawlessly for over a year.
4) I do NOT have two pieces of equipment connected as indicated under "Your Equipment (2)"

I posted in the Comcast Direct forum about this a few days ago ... and no reply.

danger6
@comcast.net

danger6 to cjoseph

Anon

to cjoseph
I've also experienced this problem the last few months. I received the audit letter from Comcast that I haven't been paying a rental fee and will be charged $7/month going forward. I've never rented a modem and always owned my own ever since I moved to Comcast territory in 2003. I called them and they claimed they did not see the charge on my account and will make a note in my account that I own the modem.

I then received an email two weeks later confirming a service appointment to replace my modem with a comcast rental. I called to cancel the appointment and told customer service that I did not make the appointment. Customer server stated there is a rental charge on my account which she will reverse.

I received a 2nd audit letter a few days ago stating the same thing as the first. I called customer service once again and they stated I would not be charged and will receive no more letters.. I'll be keeping a close eye on my account.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to newview

Premium Member

to newview
I am a new customer who was connected on Thursday. The preorder information indicated a Comcast modem even though I told the sales rep I had my own. I called billing Tuesday before the install and "thought" it was corrected.

When the tech was finishing I asked him to verify that the account showed "customer supplied modem". He showed me his little portable tool with the box checked saying "customer modem".

Well I looked at my first bill, and there was the modem rental. Did a chat and got a call back from a rep who assigned a case number and asked that I fax a copy of the receipt. I also faxed a copy of the bottom of the retail box with the serial number and RF MAC.

We will see....

The Web portal is also showing TV service on my account even though I only have Internet.

It sounds like a lot of accounts are messed up to say the least.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

My account used to show a fake TV subscription for a few months and then it went away.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

said by pende_tim:

The Web portal is also showing TV service on my account even though I only have Internet.

said by Darknessfall:

My account used to show a fake TV subscription for a few months and then it went away.

I'm beginning to think these fake Comcast cableTV connections are a fraud perpetrated by Comcast in order to "pump up the numbers" of subscribers so as to mislead potential advertisers on their network. They are basically lying to advertisers as to the number of cableTV subscribers they have.

They charge an extra $15.00 a month if you do NOT subscribe to their cableTV ... so what's to prevent them from falsely showing that money as a cableTV subscription fee?

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to danger6

Premium Member

to danger6
FWIW, I was told a couple of years ago that whenever there is a "change" on one's account (upgrade/downgrade, etc) that the little box on their computer system defaults to Comcast owned modems. Also, that when calling to provision a modem the phone person has to specifically tick the box for customer owned.

Back then, my modem became Comcast's the next billing cycle after I had a tech visit. I was also promised to have the charges reversed but in the end, I gave up as I never kept the Circuit City receipt.

This is a pretty good revenue stream for Comcast - $$ each month for equipment the customer owns, lol.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

said by FureverFurry:

FWIW,

This is a pretty good revenue stream for Comcast - $$ each month for equipment the customer owns, lol.

Yes it is a good revenue stream and one that keeps giving for Comcast long onto the future: Remember you have to return Company Owned Modems when you leave Comcast. They can turn around and re-issue your modem and collect the rental fee from the next customer! LOL

danger6
@comcast.net

danger6 to FureverFurry

Anon

to FureverFurry
That could explain it.. I upgraded to blast about a month before I started receiving the letters. I purchased the modem from Amazon so I can reprint the invoice if ownership of the modem is contested.
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

1 edit

LocutusBorg to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
happens to me also

its a scam that they hope will go unnoticed. we need to file a class action fraud suit against them

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

I agree we need to get their attention on this problem and make it stop permanently. . It seem like a whole bunch of folks have the same issue.
RockOrange
join:2002-01-24
Chattanooga, TN

RockOrange to cjoseph

to cjoseph
There hasn't been a change in my account for the past 5 years. My first modem was provisioned by phone, but I provisioned my 2 successive modems through the "walled garden." This is simply Comcast trying to get more revenue. They hope that you will not notice the additional charge, especially if you have the bill paid by bank draft. I have been with Comcast and their predecessors since 1982. I think they are trying to tell me that it is time for a change.

flibby3655
MAGA
Premium Member
join:2004-12-19
Lompoc, CA
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

flibby3655 to LocutusBorg

Premium Member

to LocutusBorg
said by LocutusBorg:

we need to file a class action fraud suit against them

Only winners here are the lawyers. I've found going to the local office to be the best alternative.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
Just took a closer look at my bill on line. I am being charged the TV franchise fee for TV service I do not have. What the heck?

The Modem credit the CS rep promised is showing as pending and has not been applied to the balance due yet. My instinct tells me this is going to be a real mess.

I guess I will fax my paperwork showing proof of the modem being mine to them every 2 days until this is resolved, just in case they claim to have lost the paperwork.

I wonder if the marketing agreement Comcast and Verizon signed allowed Comcast to use the Verizon FIOS billing system, I hear that has like issues. LOL.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
Comcast tried to do this with me numerous times. I have always purchased my own modem. I've had to go to extraordinary lengths to prove it is mine and not theirs, and even had to get a lawyer friend involved. Never, EVER, destroy your purchase receipt for a cable modem, you could end up needing it even years later. I think Comcast does this on purpose because they know many people don't even look at the breakdown of their bill, they just pay the total. And especially those who "autopay". It is not a harmless error.

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Not that a class action suit helps anyone except the attorneys, but how do we get their attention so this madness stops.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

Johkal to fuziwuzi

MVM

to fuziwuzi
I agree to save your receipts for any gear you bought that also Comcast happens to lease. It is advisable to also copy them as over time the ink will fade to nothing.

If comparable, you can also choose gear that Comcast doesn't lease. Nothing to prove there.

word_up
@comcast.net

word_up to flibby3655

Anon

to flibby3655
said by flibby3655:

Only winners here are the lawyers.

That's a bogus argument and needs to be put to rest. The lawyers get a big chunk of the money because they're the ones who organize, oversee, and execute the case. DUH! Not sure why this is such a difficult thing to understand or what people's expectations are. Class action lawsuits are often opt-out, which means the affected individuals are automatically included and participation requires no effort on their part.

Just what exactly are people's expectations for their effort of opening a mailer and reading an opt-out class action letter?
said by flibby3655:

I've found going to the local office to be the best alternative.

The OP said he had already called them numerous times about this. You don't think that's enough? You think he should drive down to the "local office" (could easily be 30+ minutes away) where he will likely hear the exact same nonsense he heard over the phone? People have enough crap going on in their lives without having to try and stay on top of a billion dollar company's screwy billing practices.

unacceptable
@cogentco.com

unacceptable

Anon

Wow this is un-freaking-believable! This same EXACT issue has happened to me. I have always owned my own modem since signing up for high speed internet service back in 2004. I started off with a Motorola SB5100, and then subsequently switched over too a Zoom 5341J back in January of this year. I have NEVER been charged a modem lease fee. About 2 months ago, I noticed that they have magically tacked on a $7.00 modem lease fee. I have tried multiple times (thinking about the whole ordeal just boils my blood) to get this charge removed with little success. I spoke with their billing department last week, and the rep was able to credit me for the 2 months that I was charged and ASSURED me that the problem would be alleviated. Low and behold, I get the bill for August, and what do I see -- the same $7.00 charge for a modem rental. Again, I had to take time out of my day to dispute this charge. The person I ended up speaking with had no idea why the charge was still there or how to remove it. He confirmed that there were incident notes on my account logged for my previous call. He ended up "escalating" the issue to the next support tier, and I was told they'd reach out to me -- this was on Monday.

With all due respect...WTF.

bob54321
@abbott.com

bob54321

Anon

I am also having the same issue. I called and tried to get help. I spent >30 minutes on hold, got the run around, then was transferred to a very rude rep who said I had to call from home. Called again -- from home-- and got someone more reasonable who removed the charges. And, also, now on the August bill - it's back again. Now I am in chat and getting the same run around. My favorite part is when they ask me to FAX in a receipt. FAX it!

panth1
The Coyote
join:2000-12-11
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1 to cjoseph

to cjoseph
Same boat. Been fighting this on and off since the Adelphia days. They fix your bill only to return months or years later.

What ever data they are using to audit the system has bad data. Gabage in, garbage out.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Its not the data per say, Its the old freakin software they use. There software is 30 plus years old and DOS based. Add the fact that they have to put your modem into their inventory to get it to work and this is what the end result gets you.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
The problem has been around forever. I think it's incompetence, not maleficence. Customers can get this resolved by sending an email to this address: we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

pende_tim
Premium Member
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph
I was in this boat, however it looks like, at least for my current billing cycle, they have removed my modem rental fee.

I contacted Zoom when this first started and explained the problem. After some pictures of the Modem with the MAC showing, they sent me a letter ( the kind with a stamp and envelope ) stating the modem with MAC xxxxxxxx and Serial was purchased at retail and is my property.

Very nice customer service from Zoom, IMHO.

I will keep this letter very safe because, as others point out, who knows when the rental fee will reappear.