Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX

Re: GoPro vs others ... help decide ...

I have a Contour Roam HD and I like it. It has a more streamline fit and it has quite a few accessories available for it. Amongst other things it has an Idiot proof on/off switch and can be submerged in water up to 3 ft deep.
This is the one I got back in 2011 »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1
The only thing I don't like about it is the rechargeable battery, it cannot be easily replaced by the end user. The new models have replaceable batteries.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by natedj:

I have a Contour Roam HD and I like it. It has a more streamline fit and it has quite a few accessories available for it. Amongst other things it has an Idiot proof on/off switch and can be submerged in water up to 3 ft deep.
The only thing I don't like about it is the rechargeable battery, it cannot be easily replaced by the end user. The new models have replaceable batteries.

Three feet is hardly comparable to GoPro's 300ft under.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

said by Hayward0:
But how much extra is that and why bother if you're not a scuba diver?
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey

The stock housing is good down to more than any normal person might ever go. They do sell a "dive housing" that is meant for deeper depths and actual scuba diving.

I have an H3 Black and it is AMAZING!! The images/video that come from this thing are nothing short of spectacular.
There is no comparison to the Contour as far as accessories go, and the GoPro accessories are not that expensive. The most expensive thing anybody might go for is the LCD back for $80. Even then, the iPhone/iPad app does the same thing and so much more, and is free. WiFi is built into the camera, it's not a card or accessory. You can preview everything and EVERY function of the camera is adjustable from the app.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

Hayward0

Premium Member

Everyone keeps saying iPhone App, There is an Android GoPro app as well. In fact there are a number of them beyond the basic control/dispaly one.
Hayward0

1 recommendation

Hayward0 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
said by Sweet Witch:

said by Hayward0:
But how much extra is that and why bother if you're not a scuba diver?

Many people snorkel deeper than three ft and remember that 3ft is a MAX

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Everyone keeps saying iPhone App, There is an Android GoPro app as well. In fact there are a number of them beyond the basic control/dispaly one.

Comes in three flavors.
»gopro.com/software-app/gopro-app
Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey to Hayward0

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Sorry. Knee jerk reaction on my part. Don't be offended.
In today's world we can all pretty much assume that any app like this is available on several platforms.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX to Hayward0

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by natedj:

GoPro is 0 feet when it's naked

not even water resistant ... never mind water proof

so if it suddenly starts raining ... or u wanna take it for a dip ... u better have it all the time in that huge housing ... I decided to go for Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition »www.amazon.com/Polaroid- ··· id+XS100

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Speedy Petey

Premium Member

to Speedy Petey
said by Speedy Petey:

said by Hayward0:

Sorry. Knee jerk reaction on my part. Don't be offended.
In today's world we can all pretty much assume that any app like this is available on several platforms.

Well actually it was initially iPhone only, but they quickly wised up and realized there are 10x+ more android devices out there than Apple. Just like the PC world.

And in fact a number of official GoPro beyond basic Android apps and several third party now.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

GoPro is 0 feet when it's naked

not even water resistant ... never mind water proof

so if it suddenly starts raining ... or u wanna take it for a dip ... u better have it all the time in that huge housing ...

The housing is not HUGE just large enough to contain the tiny camera. And no reason to take it out of it if you are regularly going to be around water, especially with the wireless remote.
Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey to Hayward0

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

Well actually it was initially iPhone only, but they quickly wised up and realized there are 10x+ more android devices out there than Apple.

Not to get into a side debate, but this is SO incredibly not true. Right now it's pretty near even sales wise, with a slight edge to Android. World wide Android has a significant edge, but by NO means is it 10X+.
And just know, I am by no means an Android hater like all the Apple haters out there.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

I agree with Speedy Petey. Let's NOT turn this into an Android/iOS debate. Personally I could care less about the number of devices or number of apps for a device I don't own. What's important is that there are apps available. I've already decided on which phone I want to use but I haven't made up my mind about the GoPro.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

My GoPro goes everywhere with me.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ampQuiQ0

If you have any questions about it, just ask.