how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WTF_COGECO

@cgocable.net

[INTERNET] 4.5 GB daily usage while modem unplugged

Hi all,

Both my parents and I have cogeco internet. They told me a couple days ago that they received an e-mail indicating they should upgrade their internet package to avoid bandwidth usage charges. After looking into it for them, they've been going over their 175 GB limit for 3 months now (prior to this, never even came close). They don't stream movies or download, so there's no way it's them. So, I went to investigate. Re-setup their Wi-Fi with a new password, made sure it was WPA2 with AES, turned of QoS (slight vulnerabilities), etc etc... They planned on being gone this weekend, so on Friday afternoon (around 12pm-1pm), we UNPLUGGED the cable modem. Today (Sunday), I checked their internet usage for yesterday (an entire day of it being unplugged), and they have 4.3 GB down and 300 MB up being recorded as internet usage.

What gives? Is this a common scam Cogeco uses? I have told them to call as soon as they can to get the last three months of $50 overages refunded.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

Sounds like you now have your WiFi locked down. Make sure no one is tapping into your land lines. Something is way off here. Even Cogeco's usage meter wouldn't be that far off. Some one is stealing your Internet my friend. It all started, as you said, 3 months ago.

WTF_COGECO

@cgocable.net

As far as I know, the only way to tap into our "land line" when the modem is physically unplugged is to have another modem with the same MAC address. Or am I wrong? (Cogeco internet usage is based on modem MAC address)

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by WTF_COGECO :

As far as I know, the only way to tap into our "land line" when the modem is physically unplugged is to have another modem with the same MAC address. Or am I wrong? (Cogeco internet usage is based on modem MAC address)

Yea, it's called "Modem MAC Address Cloning". At some point the OP has had the modem online I'm sure. »volpefirm.com/docsis-security-i-···cloning/

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to WTF_COGECO

The usage you are seeing may be from before the modem was turned off.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

from Friday at 1pm until Sunday?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to WTF_COGECO

It is known that Cogeco charges people when modem is not plugged in. If you look through the threads here it is quite common. It also happened to my ex with her Cogeco, away for a week, unplugged modem, 20 GB of usage or something like that. It could be MAC cloning...who knows, so might be good for the parents to exchange the modem.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to WTF_COGECO

said by WTF_COGECO :

Is this a common scam Cogeco uses?

It is a problem. Bloody shame too. Not that common, but crap like this has been reported by others.

said by WTF_COGECO :

I have told them to call as soon as they can to get the last three months of $50 overages refunded.

It is very unlikely they will get a refund from level 1 support. They will almost assuredly need to escalate it, with some support from a technically inclined person, and they'll need to stand their ground with resolve if Cogeco pushes back - as has happened with others.

Consider having the modem swapped out.

Consider moving them to an independent ISP like Start or Teksavvy and they can also save some money to go along with the piece of mind.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by dillyhammer:

Consider moving them to an independent ISP like Start or Teksavvy

What modems do they use and are they responsible for provisioning them?

rogersmogers

@start.ca

said by urbanriot:

said by dillyhammer:

Consider moving them to an independent ISP like Start or Teksavvy

What modems do they use and are they responsible for provisioning them?

DCM476 and no cogeco does all the provisioning.

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

It is known that Cogeco charges people when modem is not plugged in. It could be MAC cloning...who knows, so might be good for the parents to exchange the modem.

Agreed, get the modem replaced. The usage meter gets it's information directly from the cable modem itself (reports usage nightly) and the ONLY way for a completely unplugged modem to show usage on the meter is when the MAC address has been cloned and someone else (ANYWHERE in the world) is leeching internet service. The usage links to the MAC address...so only thing the end user can do is get the modem swapped out.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

I dealt with this secondhand.

Call and escalate, writing to the office of the executive also helps. From my understanding the cloned modem has to be on a different node than you for this cloning to work, but it has to be Cogeco's network obviously.

So when you unplug in Hamilton, someone in Niagara has a clone running. You stand by your statements, threaten media if needed, and you will get it handled.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius