All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
potato6
join:2012-12-13

potato6

Strange Modem Log Issue

When I have frequent problems I view my logs and try to get an idea of how often I have T4 timeouts (disconnects) and T3 timeouts ('pauses' usually with heavy packet loss). Lately my modem has been overwriting the most recent entry with the newest. In other words, it has only been keeping the very latest log entry.

A couple of days ago I performed a factory reset and reboot to see if that would clear it up. It still only maintains the most recent entry (one line).

I assumed this was a problem with my modem and contacted Motorola support this morning. 'Barbara' told me that my ISP sets the log policy on their end. Is this right? That seems a little weird to me. Even more weird if it is true and Mediacom has been 'deleting' my log entries.

Should I wait a day and try to get a different Moto support rep tomorrow?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

That does sound a bit strange. I know that we do establish SNMP to allow the monitoring and management of devices, but the data logs pulled aren't configured on our end. Signal data, etc. is of course pulled from us, but the logs themselves I believe are built internally.
particleman7
join:2013-03-13

particleman7 to potato6

to potato6
My modem Motorola SBV6220Does the same thing.
potato6

1 edit

potato6

30 minutes later ...

potato6

1 edit

potato6

Even more strange ... my logs started working again later that afternoon (Aug 12, 2013) ...

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

That is strange.
potato6

potato6

Now it's back to overwriting the last entry...

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Are you having issues with the internet? Is the modem rebooting?
potato6

potato6

The modem isn't rebooting as often as it has been in the past, but there is still high packet loss. Also every 5-30 minutes there is a brief "pause" in service (20 seconds or so) that coincides with a new T3 timeout in the logs. I check every time I experience one of these 'pauses' (I don't know how else to describe it).

I am about to post in that thread to keep that info in the same thread.

»Over a year and no resolution in 36460

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

That will be alright. We can work with it there.