join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb to cjoseph

Premium Member

to cjoseph

Re: [Bill] Furious about erroneous modem rental fee

said by cjoseph:

Now, when I check my customer profile online, I see that it no longer says customer owned modem. It has the MAC of my modem, but an incorrect serial number - probably of a Comcast modem. Interestingly enough, the new modem online matches mine - SB6121.

What the heck is the deal with these people?!

I cannot comment on the customer profile if it actually does say "Customer Owned Modem" or not, as I've always rented.
However, I do want to point out that the Serial # listed will not be your actual serial number. If you look at it, and look at the digits of the MAC Address that is listed, they will match (again, just the digits).

Not sure why they do it that way, and I know I asked once about it in another thread. I think it has to do with Security, or maybe the fact that the MAC Address can also be used as the serial number, as it is a unique number for the device.

--Brian

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by plencnerb:

I cannot comment on the customer profile if it actually does say "Customer Owned Modem" or not, as I've always rented.

It says rented or customer owned at the "Browse offers" link in your account management. Then you click the "View Your Current Services" drop down menu.