spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rfa5
join:2006-02-25
Massapequa, NY

rfa5

[Networking] Actiontec Rebooting

My Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router randomly reboots every so often on it's own. I contacted customer support and they were quick to send me a new router, but I see I am having the same problem. The router shuts down and then goes through the rebooting process. After a minute or so everything is fine again. No heavy usage here...have a Sonos bridge to stream music hooked to the router via ethernet as well as two computers, also hooked via ethernet. Have a few wireless devices too, but again it's nothing that is really "working" the router. Did all the usual reboots on the ONT etc... Any suggestions at what to look at? When it's up and running, everything appears to be fine...speed is what it's supposed to be etc. No problems with either the tv or the digital voice service. I've had the device about 6 years or so problem free.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ

Pureblood

Premium Member

[Networking] Re: Actiontec Rebooting

by any chance did you add in one of those Eco Power Strips?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to rfa5

to rfa5
Possible problems on the AC circuit the router is plugged into?
said by rfa5:

My Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router randomly reboots every so often on it's own..... I've had the device about 6 years or so problem free.

The Rev. I A/T hasn't been out for 6 years maybe you meant to type "service" rather than "device"?
TreeTops3
join:2008-11-23

TreeTops3 to rfa5

to rfa5
As mentioned above verify that you do not have a power issue. If the power is fine, is there any change the router is overheating?
You do not mention pressing the reset pinhole .. if you do reset it you will loose any custom settings.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to rfa5

Premium Member

to rfa5

Did you use the new wal-wart too or use the one from the old router?
rfa5
Massapequa, NY

rfa5 to Pureblood

to Pureblood
Power is fine! No power strip. Used the new wall wart that came with the new router. And yes, I guess I misspelled "service" and it was changed to "device" by auto correct. I have the service for about six years and this version of the router for about 1 year. It was just changed out last week and is still doing the same thing.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to rfa5

Premium Member

to rfa5
This just randomly started happening?? Can you give a better time frame, a day, a week, few weeks. Frequency of the occurrences, minutes, hours, days, times of the day.

Have you made changes to ANYTHING else that might be connected to the coax or ethernet network in your entire home??

I'm just pondering, noisy AC power, ground issues, pinched cables, ESD/static, etc....
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to rfa5

to rfa5
I was told that if you just cut the power to the router, it will possibly go through an additional reboot if you did NOT let the boot sequence finish the first time before resetting/powering down the router. So this could possibly be happening to you.. once that's compete it SHOULD be stable.. if not, it's worth looking at your settings and connected equipment.. make sure no cables are shorted and your power supply is good (voltage check). during the summer it's possible your power company can give you voltage in the 98-105 volts range instead of the normal 120 for a time-- a good UPS will regulate that voltage & boost it where it should be.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to rfa5

Premium Member

to rfa5
said by rfa5:

Power is fine! No power strip.

With limited details I just figured I throw that out there because I’ve seen issues with those Eco Power Strips previously. As a forum user here I/we have seen folks hook their devices up to switched outlets and post similar questions so we have to start somewhere to trouble shoot it. I’m going to assume you are NOT on a switched outlet.

I am not an ActionTec user (or fan) but what are the odds of having the replacement displaying the same issue? More than likely it is something to do with your power and not the router but feel free to call VZ and ask them to send you another replacement because the issue is unresolved. Good luck
rfa5
Massapequa, NY

rfa5 to K3SGM

to K3SGM
It's totally random and I'm paying attention to try to see if I'm doing certain things, or certain programs are running, but so far I cannot see any type of pattern here. I have 2 computers hooked to the router via ethernet so we are not even talking a wireless issue here. Out of the blue the router just shuts down...I look at it and the power light is red. Give it 10 seconds or so and the power light goes out (all the lights are out) and then it begins the reboot on it's own. Red power light to blinking green to solid green. The rest of the lights come on as they should and in about 3 or 4 minutes total time everything is running as it should. All this happens with no input from me. Nothing seems overly hot to the touch, power supply nor router.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
PorkRoll NJ

Pureblood to rfa5

Premium Member

to rfa5
Can you inspect the circuit boards on the computers for leaking or swelling capacitors?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by Pureblood:

Can you inspect the circuit boards on the computers for leaking or swelling capacitors?

That wouldn't affect the router...

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

said by Rattler:

said by Pureblood:

That wouldn't affect the router...

a bad nic might...

lbvagrant
@verizon.net

1 edit

lbvagrant to rfa5

Anon

to rfa5
same issue for about 2 weeks now
have contacted Verizon many times have gone through 2 routers and the og one I had...
have a new ONT now
still same issue...
reboots router when ever it feels like it
iv been running great for many years with a battery backup powering the router so no issues there...yes I checked for bad batt..no..not it
had a tech replace ONT and he felt sure it would fix...hour later flat line on the network.
got another tech coming out tomorrow, am going to try to have him look in the D-slam / switch house and see if its hardware on their end

have heard rumor of covad or UUNet doing something with the lines...?
don't know cant confirm

any info or leads to what might be going on would be helpful
as iv heard of this as being wide spread across country"im in socal" and some other isp's so is it just a Verizon issue or a hardware issue
is it some new hack tech?

helpful info:
Firmware Version: 40.20.7
Model Name: MI424WR-GEN3I
Hardware Version: I
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Physical Connection Type: Coax
Broadband Connection Type: DHCP
Zifnab
join:2008-03-30
Pittsburgh, PA

Zifnab

I know that Vz is trialing a self-heal function on the Rev I's specifically and only, but I'm not sure what areas currently are doing it. Basically if it detects that DNS lookup is failing for devices on the network, it will reboot itself to try to resolve the connectivity issue automatically.

Sounds like this is happening a lot more frequently than I would expect if that were actually the cause, though. I can't think of much else that would cause it, though. I haven't really run into the Rev I's having reboot issues like this otherwise.

lbvagrant
@verizon.net

lbvagrant

Anon

thnx for the quick info Zifnab

ok this started on an older router same model but I don't know what gen
already mailed it back...:(
all I can say is it was the silver stripe, 10/100 and one antenna and NOT the red stripe GiGabit two antenna new version
the new one as of 2 days ago IS the stats mentioned above "the red one"
would both fit under your assumption of this type of issue?
iv never heard of that reason for reboot so its something ill have to look into {again great info - love this site}

I'm curious and am looking for as much info as possible before tomorrow "8/15" when a tech gets here to "fix" my issue
if I have something for him to look at other then replace all my hardware...again... I might be able to get back to work, play and otherwise...:)
Zifnab
Pittsburgh, PA

Zifnab

The silver band would not be part of the trial as I understand it. The red band is the Rev I.

I believe you should be able to look at the router logs and see if there are any useful events in there. I'm not sure if it will be in the security log in the firewall section, or in the other log in the system monitoring section. I'm a little hazy on the precise location. If it's doing the self heal thing, that should show up, and if you see LAN-LOS events then you know that it's somehow a physical cabling/other issue causing it to reboot for some reason.

Beyond that, I can't think of a good reason for multiple routers to do the same thing....

lbvagrant
@verizon.net

lbvagrant

Anon

well I think you hit it on the head...
I looked into the dns issue and found other having issues with theirs and loss of connection

changed my dns servers to the default Verizon 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2
have not seen a drop since...
the old ones are still on the broadband connection cant see where to change them but on the lan side I was able to set and so far so good
seems the 71.252.0.12 and 68.237.161.12 dns address's are flawed somehow

will update after tomorrows visit and thnx again...
LBVagrant
lbvagrant

lbvagrant

Anon

well I might have spoke too soon...
had a restart of router
but I do see a lot of dns calls in the logs
at least 50 a second

Unable to change DSCP of icmp socket to value 0 for ping Socket operation on non-socket
RequestAddress=0x6c2290, requestDomainName=ctldl.windowsupdate.com, client_id=9293
RequestAddress=0x6c4980, requestDomainName=checkip.dyndns.org, client_id=9069
RequestAddress=0x6c4980, requestDomainName=godjlhqig.50ni, client_id=9065
RequestAddress=0x6c4980, requestDomainName=dns.msftncsi.com, client_id=9057

just to example a few of the hundreds...
hit Microsoft 15 times in one second...?

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 edit

bluepoint to Zifnab

to Zifnab
said by Zifnab:

I know that Vz is trialing a self-heal function on the Rev I's specifically and only, but I'm not sure what areas currently are doing it. Basically if it detects that DNS lookup is failing for devices on the network, it will reboot itself to try to resolve the connectivity issue automatically.

This is a bad idea if they are truly thinking of implementing the self healing router. Why would you like the router reboot if some of the clients are in the middle of downloading/uploading a huge file? If they think their DNS is not functioning most of the time, they should fix the DNS servers to make it reliable and not trying a work around through the router.
Zifnab
Pittsburgh, PA

Zifnab

It doesn't have to do with their DNS servers in the way you're thinking. They're somehow determining connectivity by the success/failure of DNS requests by equipment on the network. If connectivity is failing, the router reboots to attempt to repair that connection. From what I've seen of it so far, you wouldn't be in the middle of a download or something because you wouldn't have connectivity.

Sorry I don't know more specifics about it. I'm going to assume that it's a failure to resolve the DNS server itself rather than a 404 or some type of failure message being returned by the DNS servers that's triggering it, since one is a connectivity failure where the other is just a lookup failure.

lbvagrant
join:2013-08-15
Long Beach, CA

lbvagrant

said by Zifnab:

From what I've seen of it so far, you wouldn't be in the middle of a download or something because you wouldn't have connectivity.

well that's the issue ... i am in the middle of a download or a direct connection via PCAnywhere working remotely and then flat line...nothing....

I have three different depts. looking into this as we speak... still waiting for a tech and have reports of Verizon knowing the fix caused issues ..but with the tv box's not the routers.... im educating them on that one

will update as I know...crossing fingers

lbvagrant

bluepoint

4 edits

bluepoint to Zifnab

to Zifnab
said by Zifnab:

It doesn't have to do with their DNS servers in the way you're thinking. They're somehow determining connectivity by the success/failure of DNS requests by equipment on the network. If connectivity is failing, the router reboots to attempt to repair that connection. From what I've seen of it so far, you wouldn't be in the middle of a download or something because you wouldn't have connectivity.

Maybe, you are thinking subscribers only have one client at a time. There are many tablets, smartphones, laptops, ...etc. that are now normal in a household that anyone can trigger the bad DNS requests. While the father is doing some work downloading/uploading files or even streaming movie or watching VOD, the wife and children's gadgets requested bad requests from the DNS that causes the router to reboot, then what? Like what I said, it's better to leave the subscriber's router alone on subscriber's control instead of Verizon dipping their fingers in them look on the DNS servers to improve if it's the reason for this self healing router. It isn't going to be popular I tell you that.
If there is no connectivity, routers auto connect including Actiontec's when it detects a request from any client in the network, reboot is not needed. In a scenario where there is an outage out of the subscriber's control, so now because there is no connectivity, the router will be rebooting in a loop. There is no reason for Verizon to thinker with our network/router.

lbvagrant
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

lbvagrant

OK....

spent two hours with a tech here that saw what we are talking about with the logs and the rebooting...
he's going to forward to his superiors and hope for something...
talked with a online chat for 2 1/2 hours and got somewhere
we figured out it is dead dns servers, bad routes, and the new firmware all together...
so her, her supervisor his tech team and their district head all know about it. they know its multi people across country...looking at you rfa5
have forwarded this onto corporate via their instructions and have notes all over their system regarding such...
so now we wait for some bigwig to contact me and ask...what's going on now?...again crossing fingers...
but progress is being made!

update:
ok had corporate call this morn and confirm the "self heal test" but it was in new-Jersey only... he was confused as to why id be affected in calif
confirmed they're looking into the dns and routing issue...
so again...hurry up and wait...

lbvagrant
rfa5
Massapequa, NY

rfa5

Glad to see it's not only me! I'm not real well versed in routers so most of this chatter of what's going on is over my head! It seems to be totally random as I can't seem to trigger it. Yesterday I had 1 computer streaming from my Slingbox, one computer streaming music, 3 internet radios playing another laptop just surfing and 2 Nest thermostats that are hooked up via wifi all going at the same time just trying to "load down" the router and it played fine all day! I forgot to mention a Sonos bridge and player too. Yet today I had my Sonos playing by itself and there was a reboot! Perhaps one of these devices running in the background throws out a bad request and bam, the router reboots. Thanks for thinking of me lbvagrant:)

rfa5

bluepoint

bluepoint to lbvagrant

to lbvagrant
Did they explain why you're getting DNS requests in the logs similar to brachism See Profile? I am not seeing the logs here but then again it probably just appear when there is no connectivity?
»Actiontec suddenly logging DNS requests to syslog

lbvagrant
Long Beach, CA

lbvagrant to rfa5

to rfa5
just as a side note:
if you have another router or better yet a network switch "router without the dhcp server software to assign ip address"
you can keep internet going while the Actiontec router reboots...
got lucky last night and all day today with this test
I cannot connect back to the Verizon routers config page for almost 15 mins but...never lose internet connectivity
im waiting to hear how Verizon techs explain that one.

basically I ran all the plugs that went into the Verizon router from my computers into the switch I have then its one line into the Verizon routers port 1

allowing the internal network to stay connected to itself while the outside did whatever its doing
"my reason was for a security camera feed to my bedroom from living room security dvr and it kept dropping all night long and I couldn't see outside via camera"
this second switch fixed that

hope this helps anyone else reading all this and afraid to ask anything
lbvagrant

lbvagrant to bluepoint

to bluepoint
they're looking into that...
it sounds like all this they're hearing spose to be in jersey.
and from what iv seen so far its a continuous feed of requests, hundreds in a min
and now im seeing calls to request a lookup of my computers name in the dns...?
is that right?
RequestAddress=0x4834d8, requestDomainName=vagrant, client_id=43

saw 6 of these in calls in 2 seconds time

so im as lost as anyone else as to why, but I know what....
vztechguy
join:2013-08-17

vztechguy to rfa5

to rfa5
The actiontec routers are going to through a firmware update upon first connection. After that they should be fine. If the ONT was replaced already, next step is to check the coax; breaks, tears, low signal. If thats ok then I would have tier 1 rebuild the Data circuit (virtual) from scratch. Doesn't sound like a hardware issue.

lbvagrant
Long Beach, CA

lbvagrant

said by vztechguy:

The actiontec routers are going to through a firmware update upon first connection. After that they should be fine.

therein lies the question...what's causing the reboots almost every 2 hours?
this is the line that's got me wondering...
>>>Reboot issued from TR69
isn't that a remote control protocol and if so who's remotely rebooting us?
in tech terms is the ACS rebooting the CPE for some reason we don't know about?