All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

hellohello5
join:2013-06-28
Detroit, MI

hellohello5 to ladino

to ladino

Re: Choosing routers and switches for enterprise.

ladino, thank you for your fast reply. Your questions have narrowed down my question.

One of your questions that I would focus on for now would be, 'What is the thru-put of the hardware?'

How could I determine which router I would need - what would the metric / formula be?

If I had x users at main campus - x users at off site - x users at small office. How could I translate number of users in the best hardware selection.

Starting small - if I had to select a router for one of our small offices. Employees being 20 to 30.

Would I select something like the Cisco 800 Series ISR, 1900 Series ISR, Cisco 2900 Series ISR, or something completely different.

For the sake of this discussion, my company only purchases Cisco equipment.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Also consider how much are they willing to pay for features that can provide more potential uptime.

for instance do you want/need dual powersupplies, or fan trays that can be swapped without powering it off.

these can be premium features that might or might not be worth it.

for instance say a 3945e vs 2 2951's, with the 3945e you get dual powersupplies and its possible to change the fan tray while powered on, with the 2951 you could have 2 complete routers and do HSRP (or some variant) on the wan and use a routing protocol on the lan (or even HSRP on both lan and wan)

so then in the case of the 3945e you get redundant features and more throughput, with the 2951's you could have a whole other unit for failover.