Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to madeitog

Premium Member

to madeitog

Re: [DSL] Frontier How does these stats look?

The blue/white just a spare pair. Normally spare pairs are just wrapped around the cable to keep them out of the way but have them available if you have a problem with one of the other spares. The green/red are for line 1 and the yellow/black are for line 2. But my under stand is you only have on active circuit. I don't know where the blue/white pair is clipped, but there is absolutely no reason to have them connected. You can put them back they way you found them.

I am also not certain which type DSL filter you have. If it is the plug in type with two jacks, one marked telephone or phone and the other DSL or modem. Make sure it is connected that way. Make sure your telephone is connected to it. The modem side is straight through, it does not need a filter. The filter is to isolate the analog device, the telephone, from interfering with the DSL. If you still have issues try a new filter.

Check your jacks in the house and make sure there are no reversals. The red wire to jack red wire or red terminal, green to the jack green wire or green terminal. Take a look at this.

»ask-the-electrician.com/ ··· elephone wiring diagram-08.JPG

How that helps. If not I suggest that you call Frontier.
madeitog
join:2013-08-10
Romney, WV

madeitog

Also, i have one dead jack? I don't if it unhooked or what but it doesn't work idk if this means anything or not

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Not sure, may be a bad jack or may indicate a problem with the line inside your house. Are you our on Jersey Mountain Road?
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

No:/ Kirby, and i took off the jack and the wires looked good? mayb that jack is causing a problem with the other lines? like im just going off my mine like if a outlet for electricity is broke it won't transfer electric throughout the house pass that outlet? idk im just guessing, if i fix that outlet maybe that will fix the issue idk?
madeitog

madeitog to Hank

to Hank
How would i know, every other jack works expect that one? and its close to the sink? anyone i just out the wires together instead of getting a new jack? because most likely that jack keeps getting water and thats why its broken?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

I am not familiar with Kirby, is that to the west of town after you cross the bridge over the South Branch?

If it a try and see if that resolves your problem.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

Grassy lick? almost at the end of grassy lick road. its going up through Romney towards Augusta right after the bowling alley, its a right before the dual lanes. So i could possibly just wire them wires together behind it, to see if that fixes it?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

If that is a junction where to cables come together and they are corroded that may be the cause of your problem. If it is only one cable just disconnect them and let them float. If there are two cables connected to that jack then ago ahead and disconnect them, make sure the wires are clean and connect the matching colors to each other. Either way place tape or a wire nut over the wire or wires to prevent them from making contact with each other. See if the resolves your problem. If so then you can look at a permanent fix.

OK, I know where Grassy Lick is.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

their are 4 wires, the green yellow red and black? and also, did i wire it right at the NID? like in the pictures expect the blue and white of course i took off like you said? but other then that do the wires look right? Before I wired it myself this is how they had it? RED screw- Red and yellow wire? and Green screw. green and black wire? why did they have it that way?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Yes, you wired it correct. I have no idea why they make the connections that way. Not all of the installation "technicians" in our area are equal and sometimes they differently.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

okay, the jack wires had hour on the back of it? just cut them off and put them back in the hole?
madeitog

madeitog

four not hour*
madeitog

madeitog

four wires*
madeitog

madeitog

See my margin gets better when my DL speed goes up? why?

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1344 192
Margin (dB) 13.8 26.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 68.2 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.1 12.2
FEC Errors 0 145
HEC Errors 1538 159
CRC Errors 5798 0

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Your speed is set on the Frontier end, it should be constant. Can you post the stats with the modem connected directly to the jack at the NID?
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

correct but whats wierd? but DL changes dailly sometimes hourly? and okay give me just a moment? but why does my DL change daily? itll be at like 892 then 1022 then higher and lower?
madeitog

madeitog

ATM, im talkign to frontier and they my acc is set to 3mbs? like how!

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank to madeitog

Premium Member

to madeitog
What does you telephone sound like. Do you hear anything other than the dial tone when to pick it up to make a telephone call? Do you have noise or lost words when your talking on it?
Your speed should not be changing. Beginning to sound like an issue that Frontier needs to look into.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

Well, first day he came out he said im too far out, then i called and complained because my neighbor and even like 2 more people have it so he came out again and he found a coil in the line, cable truck came out and bam my modem finally connected? and give me one second not really noticing any static if thats what your asking? but let me make sure? any other troubleshooting steps?
madeitog

madeitog to Hank

to Hank
just tried it and like when a press a number and the dial tone goes away i can hear like idk, like something moving, idk how to explain it

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B

Hank

Premium Member

If you can plug the telephone in at the NID and you still hear that noise then the problem is on Frontiers side. If it is clean at the NID then the problem is the wiring in your house.
But before you do that turn your modem off and see if you still hear that noise.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

don't hear it when modem off? NID is clear also?
madeitog

madeitog to Hank

to Hank
also found another dead outlet? theirs 2 right next to each other but one works the other one doesnt?

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank to madeitog

Premium Member

to madeitog
Install the filter in the jack that you are using for the telephone. Then connect the telephone to it. If it has dual jacks make sure it is in the one marked telephone. If you currently have a filter on the telephone then you need to replace it.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

well i replaced it with another filter same noise? so what going on here i found 2 jacks like new same as the wires? 2 jacks are dead but i could of swore that one jacked worked yesterday when i plugged the modem into and tried it their?
madeitog

madeitog to Hank

to Hank
on top off all of it my modem disconnected randomly and now look at my stats
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1152 192
Margin (dB) 8.1 26.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 66.1 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.9 12.3
FEC Errors 0 2
HEC Errors 1126 4
CRC Errors 2118 0

Hank
Premium Member
Burlington, WV

Hank to madeitog

Premium Member

to madeitog
I sent you an IM.
madeitog
Romney, WV

madeitog

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1152 192
Margin (dB) 7.9 26.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 65.8 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.0 12.3
FEC Errors 0 1
HEC Errors 149 1
CRC Errors 467 0
madeitog

madeitog

direclty connected to the NID, so that means its on frontier side
madeitog

madeitog to Hank

to Hank
also i forgot to say, on the NID that not connected to my house, but on the pole he cut them wires and did that? connected the 2 blue's and stuff so that's not effecting anything did he?