how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Straitbraves

join:2013-08-12
Cartersville, GA

Check Your Comcast Bill- Modem Rental Fees

Check your Comcast bill if you own your own modem. I have several coworkers including myself that are being charged rental fees for modems we own. Try calling Comcast and you will go through a hoop of redirects and we will call you backs. I personally have been waiting for 3 days and not one call back. Comcast is telling all of us (Coworkers and myself) that they did an audit and they own the modems. They have said they will investigate, they have said they will have to disable the modem until they can determine who owns it. So far we keep no one has received anything more than a run around.

Post on their forums also if you see the issue.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Inte···/1782472

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
If you have your original, itemized receipt for the purchase it shouldn't be a problem proving it's yours.

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA
said by DC DSL:

If you have your original, itemized receipt for the purchase it shouldn't be a problem proving it's yours.

and if you don't it's Comcasts?

I doubt I have my original receipt for my modem.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Make them produce the install paperwork with the model and serial number of the unit. It must also bear your signature, acknowledging their having installed, and your agreeing to pay to replace their equipment if it's damaged, destroyed, or lost. They always make you sign when they've been there, and they put down those details so there's no switcheroo action.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

LocutusBorg
Premium
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA
reply to Straitbraves
i go through that every other month for the last 15 months. i moved in with my own modem and i keep getting charged for a modem that "they say was installed". It take 2 days to get it sorted out EVERY OTHER MONTH. this time i was told its fixed , just like the last 8 times.

If i get charged again im filing fraud charges against Comcrap and will stick it up their ass so far that ill get free cable for life

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DC DSL
I don't believe I've EVER signed anything when they've been here.

I'm OCD when it comes to boxes and receipts for electronics and other big purchases. I have a closet full of original boxes with the receipts in or attached.
--
Knirps for moisture.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
I had to sign every time they came out to fix problems with reception or the STB. I dumped them back in 2009 so I don't know what their practices are these days...though several folks I know in Maryland were even asked for ID when their boxes had to be replaced.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
reply to Straitbraves
I turned in my modem as I had purchased my own. Comcast then started charging me for TWO modems.

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
reply to Straitbraves
Well after this has happened so many times to so many other people and it keeps happening, one has to ask, are they really making this as a mistake or are they really trying to screw people over?

Comcast has had more than enough time to resolve this and still has not done so. I can only wonder why they haven't bothered.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

RockOrange

join:2002-01-24
Chattanooga, TN
reply to Straitbraves
LOL. Well I posted in the other thread about this but this one is even better. The same thing has been happening to me. They NEVER even came to my house to install internet because I purchased a modem and picked up a self-install kit in 2001. There is no way I signed for a modem. They ran a new drop to the house in 2005, but it wasn't because of a service call on my part. The first time that I called about the modem rental they tried to sell me digital voice. At that time, I figured that was the reason they added the fee. When I received the same notice a couple of months later I realized that wasn't the case.

naseqp

join:2003-11-02
Fernandina Beach, FL
reply to Straitbraves
Just turned my rental in because newegg had a great deal on an Asus router/sb6121. Dude at local office assured me my rental charges would stop.
we'll see.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

said by naseqp:

Just turned my rental in because newegg had a great deal on an Asus router/sb6121. Dude at local office assured me my rental charges would stop.
we'll see.

Did you receive a receipt from them indicating the return?
--

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to RockOrange
said by RockOrange:

They NEVER even came to my house to install internet because I purchased a modem and picked up a self-install kit in 2001. There is no way I signed for a modem.

If you don't have your receipt for the purchase, then demand they provide the paperwork that proves they provided you the modem. Make clear to them that if they cannot produce proof (with your signature) that you have a modem from them, any fees charged must be refunded (retroactively) or you will escalate the matter, with a letter from them apologizing for the error. Hang on to anything you receive in writing.
--

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Straitbraves
I just sent a message to Tom about this customer experience. Don't know if it will do any good, but at least I feel better.

Tom Karinshak
Senior Vice President of Customer Experience
»www.comcast.com/customers/feedba···ult.cspx
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

holocron
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Straitbraves
Yes, I rented a modem initially, because I did a switch to Comcast HSI and wanted to get it up and running ASAP.

I then looked around and bought my own modem. Once I put it into service, I returned the rental to my local office.

Just received my bill a couple days ago and had the modem rental feel on it for the next period and did not have the pro-rated credit for the partial previous month rental.

Got online and did a chat with an agent. Supposedly fixed.

I haven't yet logged in to see if my account was "fixed."

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Straitbraves
Had the same problem when I bought my own modem after being told that our local Comcast only used refurbished modems...i.e. it was impossible for me to get a new one having gone through 3 in as many years. 6 months later I found I was still charged for the rental. Seems like the problem is pretty widespread to be just a lot of accidents?

naseqp

Fernandina Beach, FL
reply to Straitbraves
Well, the guy screwed it up.
I was worried when I saw him typing away for what seemed like forever.

First - I lost my promo discount so my bill went up 14.95
Second - The 7.00 fee is still there!

How do you mess up something so simple?
Yes, I have a receipt for turning it in, spent 15 minutes on hold and hung up.
The time and energy this takes is just ridiculous.
Bad Comcast...bad, Bad, BAD!

HexCalamity

join:2005-03-16
Salem, OR
reply to Straitbraves
Reminds me of when I went in to trade my docsis 1.0 modem for a 2.0 when they did those speed upgrades years ago. "Oh no, this one works just fine! I have one at home and it gets the high speeds." Uh, yeah no it doesn't maam. You're own ads and letters state you need 2.0 modem to get the new speeds. This one is a 1.0 modem, I want a new 2.0 one.

I'll have to check my bills now to see if they're trying this with me. I swapped to my own modem earlier this year.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Straitbraves
This happens a lot. I think it is done on purpose because a lot of people never bother to check their bill, they either just pay the bottom line or even "autopay". Comcast cynically depends upon that carelessness as yet another profit item.

I had to travel to their office 6 times over 6 months to prove the modem was mine. Each time they would copy my receipt and tell me the problem was fixed, only to have it show up again the next month.

Never, EVER, throw away a receipt for any hardware that Comcast might provide. It is only a matter of time until they try to screw you.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Straitbraves
I think I will file a complaint with the Delaware Public Utility Commission if the bogus charge is not removed from my bill by 21 August 2013 as that is when they promised me the issue would be resolved.
--

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL
reply to Straitbraves
They did the same thing to me after I bought my own. Took 2 or 3 billing cycles to get it sorted out. The first time I called the girl I talked to said she had taken it off after a few brief minutes so I thought coo, it's fixed. Next bill what do you know it's still there. The next time I called it took the guy much longer, and he had to get a supervisor to approve the removal and credit. Both times I had mentioned I had the return receipt and gave them the date. So if you call up and it takes only a minute to "fix it", it really isn't fixed.

naseqp

Fernandina Beach, FL
reply to Straitbraves
Had a good conversation with Comcast rep "Dee" on Monday. She took mac address of modem consulted with her "techs" while I held. Gave her the ticket number where I turned my old one in to the local office.

Came back on, said she has it fixed and issued a 25.00 credit for my troubles. Gave it 48 hours, checked my account, same charges are there but there is a 25.00 credit "pending".

We'll see how this pans out.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

I just sent a message to Tom about this customer experience. Don't know if it will do any good, but at least I feel better.

Tom Karinshak
Senior Vice President of Customer Experience
»www.comcast.com/customers/feedba···ult.cspx

Well I received a reply from Tom's office today. The person who handled my feedback said they had a similar problem with billing, LOL, verified the modem was removed and it looks like they tossed a credit on my account for my troubles.

Let's hope this is the end of it!
--

FloridaGuy3

join:2013-08-22
reply to Cthen
They are trying to screw people over. In fact they tell people that you can't buy your own modem.

I think if people report them to the proper regulatory agency maybe this fraud will stop. They are flat out lying to people.

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL
What proper regulatory agency that they don't already own would that be?

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by rmdir:

What proper regulatory agency that they don't already own would that be?

The board of public utilities would be a good place to start.
--

naseqp

Fernandina Beach, FL
reply to Straitbraves
Have to give Dee two thumbz up!
She got it all done.
A 7.00 credit
credit to adjust my internet charge increase.
A 25.00 credit for my troubles.

At the time I also had her move me to a Blast package with basic cable (I'm cutting Dish loose next month) and essentially "cord cutting" but the internet service is less when you 'bundle" with basic.

All in all I'm a happy camper for the next 12 months anyway.
Basic cable for local and a few channels with 50meg service.
I'm adding a Roku 3 soon.
Thank you again Dee.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to rmdir
They aint regulated

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Straitbraves
Some audit !! It almost looks as if Comcast just slapped the modem rental fees on any HSI account that didn't have the fee, lol. Very clever of them: who keeps receipts for more than a few months?

I was told once that if there's a change to an account (add/remove) services, the little "box" on the computer screen that is SUPPOSED to be ticked to show "customer owned" gets unticked. And the phone agents are supposed to (ha) tick that box when we call in with the MAC addy. Key words - supposed to. And tech visits: they no longer issue paper receipts for swapped equipment.

This is a pretty darned good form of unearned income: $7/month x how many customers x how many months ?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to DC DSL
said by DC DSL:

Except it's a real pain in the ass to keep driving over to the Comcast office, receipt in hand, to prove you own the modem you have purchased years ago because Comcast is too incompetent to keep inventory ... not to mention the expense incurred by the customer, gas, time, etc. Comcast has done this to me three times already in 8 years.