Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rsaturns

join:2004-12-06
Beaverton, OR

[FiOS] Packet Loss / Latency - Beaverton, OR

Hello,

I’ve recently started noticing random latency spikes to full traffic drops that don’t last more than 30 minutes in the Beaverton, OR area. I’m provisioned with direct Ethernet and have checked all cabling, my FW etc. and even with a system directly connected to the ONT I see the loss. Trouble is of course being that it’s random it makes narrowing it down a challenge. Anyone else seeing this?
--
»tripplehelix.net

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Post some traceroutes while it's happening?

rsaturns

Beaverton, OR

Next time I experience it I'll try to grab some. Any particular site better than another to trace to?
--
»tripplehelix.net

rsaturns

Beaverton, OR
reply to rsaturns

Click for full size
So here is some of the loss I'm seeing, this is an active trace route to www.dslreports.com. It appears to be at the peering point between Frontier and Global Crossing, which of course makes this the worse kind of network issue to troubleshoot. I'm going to start a trace route to a different path that doesn't utilize Global Crossing to see if it is the edge of the frontier network out.

Also I should note I'm doing this a synthetic HTTP ping versus ICMP as HTTP is typically what I see just die.

--
»tripplehelix.net

rsaturns

Beaverton, OR
reply to rsaturns

Here's another traceroute from the latency tonight. I basically can barely load pages.

C:\Users\tifra>tracert youtube.com

Tracing route to youtube.com [173.194.46.6]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 tracert netflix.com

Tracing route to netflix.com [69.53.236.17]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 --
»tripplehelix.net

zebibyte

join:2006-04-25
Fairview, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to rsaturns

It's possible you're seeing the same thing I am, late night loss/latency.

»[FiOS] Portland area Latency/Loss?

It looks like your traceroute pic above doesn't indicate a Frontier problem, but rather issues within Global Crossing

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to rsaturns

The traceroute doesn't really show it well, but this one is our problem too. It is separate, but somewhat related issue to the one reported in zebibyte's thread. That issue affects traffic only originating from Seattle, but affects everyone in Portland.... where as this one affects traffic from everywhere, but only for certain parts of Portland. We actually stumbled across this one while working on an unrelated project a few days ago and having one of those "hmmm... now that doesn't look right" moments, and finally nailed down the root cause this morning. Long story short, law of unintended consequences, we broke this ourselves while solving some other traffic issues over a year ago, it just didn't show up as a problem until the past couple weeks. We have a fix working its way through Engineering now.
--
Transparency Disclosure and Disclaimer: I am a Frontier employee posting in my own personal capacity. The opinions and positions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Frontier.

rsaturns

Beaverton, OR

To which I can only respond with YAY! Would you mind posting back when the engineering group has implemented the change? Also if you need any other trace routes / packet captures I'm happy to provide. So far all it's done is force me to upgrade my internal infrastructure at home.
--
»tripplehelix.net

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Will do.

But I guess this is one way to convince the wife/gf to let you buy some new network gear. "No, honey... they said the only way we can fix the Netflix problem it is to order that new 802.11ac router from Newegg I've been telling you about...."
--
Transparency Disclosure and Disclaimer: I am a Frontier employee posting in my own personal capacity. The opinions and positions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Frontier.

rsaturns

Beaverton, OR

Ha if only it was that cheap. So far it's been a lightweight AP and controller, and a new PoE ProCurve Switch. Granted part of this is to bolster up my CCNP lab.
--
»tripplehelix.net