uniqs
share rss forum feed

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Fios download/upload How To Improve

Hey there guys if this was discussed already ignore it or MOD close it.

I am on 75/35 plan I was getting mad when from sites I was not able to pull up my full speeds (yes from US) servers.
Since I already have a VPN something came to my mind and said why not try to download and upload via VPN.

Example: Before VPN using IDM internet download manager I could pull up 600 KB/s from a certain site.
Example: After VPN I was pulling up close to 11.00 MB/s with IDM (using vpn connected to New York Server)

Uploading: via filezilla I was uploading 2 files at around 350 mb size.
Both files : used about 250 KB/s upload speed.

After using VPN: both were uploading to same server same files at 2.0 MB/s each!

I mean I love Verizon but I shouldn't be needing VPN to actually use my bandwidth..

Well I hope this helps anyone

let me know if you have same simptoms with downloading/uploading. ~~patt

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
Click for full size
Click for full size
I see issues transferring files from a co-worker's Fiber connection to work. The connections cap off at 20Mbps or less regardless of anything we do to make it go higher. Some nights, like tonight it's stuck in the 6-7Mbps range like you're describing.

Some traceroutes to one of the affected servers would be nice to see, in order to get an idea of where the data is going to.

As an example, here's Verizon's own speed test from work. Yay for the East Coast network!

Tonice2007
Premium
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to patt2k
Well, I'm not on Verizon's FiOS network, so I can't really comment on what can be done on their network to improve performance, but most likely nothing can be done (unless your willing to spend massive amount of money to "rebuild" their network).

Simply explained the internet is a bunch of computers connected to each other, so that they can communicate information, so you can think of the computers as cities and the "connected" part as methods of getting to the cities (such as highway, train, air, etc.) so if you experience a slow down in the "network" (as you are describing) that means that your method of transportation is very "clogged" or has a high amount of traffic, that the "method of transportation" can not "handle" or is inefficient. Now one way to solve this issue, is to use another "method of transportation" (as in your case you use VPN) to solve the issue of "not being efficient" else wise, you can have the "method of transportation" upgraded to handle the "work-load" so that traffic can travel more efficiently.

In Verizon's case, with them being a Tier-1 provider they most likely will not ever upgrade their network, because their too greedy to do so (very simple case, they stopped expanding FiOS and the CEO of Verizon at the time "retired"). So your best bet is to use VPN so that you can achieve maximum efficiency.

Also, I do have the same issues that your experiencing but I'm on Verizon "dated" xDSL network, which for the love of god, I would switch to a different provider if there was any other form of internet (Wireless, Fiber, Cable, xDSL, etc.) that was better.

Reason for edit: Fix some ease of reading issues and grammatical issues.

Mudiver

join:2011-07-26
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to patt2k
Consider your router, each port splits your broadband, your wi-fi also uses broadband, when you log into to your VPN it may bypass and exclude your other ports, and block them from splitting your broadband, it may also put you on a faster server, like google servers are faster and safer than others. A better router would not split your broadband but for free you get, well free stuff, and no manual. You should call Verizon broadband support, they don't care if you are using a VPN, if you do not get what you need ask to be escalated to the second tier, or simply keep calling until you find a tech that will help. A good tech will log into your PC and look at the routers settings. If you go to tier three supports it will cost 15 dollars a month. The internet techs are very liberal, they are just like we are, if you want to download a torrent they don't give a rats ass. This may be the phone number for their second tier support, 8885531555, I really don't know, I have it in my phone but I broke it on Saturday, yea the paid support is excellent but it can boil down to simply who answers the phone when you call, and who is willing, willing but slow, fast or faster at solving the issue. I bet it's the VPN setting in the router getting you the true speeds, Verizon techs want you to be happy so call me. The Tech guys are cool, its the Verizon Corp that wants to suck the life out of you. Verizon Techs set up my 3rd party totally free VOIP phone, (which works great) and they were happy to do it, and no I didn't have to pay third tier support. But that is what third tier support is there for, third-party support. Good luck, be happy, it helps to be happy. You can buy your own router and just use the Verizon Router as a cable modem. The fastest way to do that is to call third tier support slow way is to find out how to do it here on DSL reports, and it is here.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Mudiver:

Consider your router, each port splits your broadband, your wi-fi also uses broadband, when you log into to your VPN it may bypass and exclude your other ports, and block them from splitting your broadband, it may also put you on a faster server, like google servers are faster and safer than others. A better router would not split your broadband but for free you get, well free stuff, and no manual. You should call Verizon broadband support, they don't care if you are using a VPN, if you do not get what you need ask to be escalated to the second tier, or simply keep calling until you find a tech that will help. A good tech will log into your PC and look at the routers settings. If you go to tier three supports it will cost 15 dollars a month. The internet techs are very liberal, they are just like we are, if you want to download a torrent they don't give a rats ass. This may be the phone number for their second tier support, 8885531555, I really don't know, I have it in my phone but I broke it on Saturday, yea the paid support is excellent but it can boil down to simply who answers the phone when you call, and who is willing, willing but slow, fast or faster at solving the issue. I bet it's the VPN setting in the router getting you the true speeds, Verizon techs want you to be happy so call me. The Tech guys are cool, its the Verizon Corp that wants to suck the life out of you. Verizon Techs set up my 3rd party totally free VOIP phone, (which works great) and they were happy to do it, and no I didn't have to pay third tier support. But that is what third tier support is there for, third-party support. Good luck, be happy, it helps to be happy. You can buy your own router and just use the Verizon Router as a cable modem. The fastest way to do that is to call third tier support slow way is to find out how to do it here on DSL reports, and it is here.

Oh I am using my own router asus rt-ac66u with DD-WRT firmware.
I found out by accident that using VPN will boost my upload speed when uploading to many servers and as well as some downloads but not all downloads.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to patt2k
said by patt2k:

I am on 75/35 plan I was getting mad when from sites I was not able to pull up my full speeds (yes from US) servers.
Since I already have a VPN something came to my mind and said why not try to download and upload via VPN.

(..snip..)

I mean I love Verizon but I shouldn't be needing VPN to actually use my bandwidth..

Could be a function of Verizon reaching the VPN servers through a different path/peer than downloading directly.

For example, if you download directly from the FTP server, you may be reaching that server via Verizon's peering with Cogent-- which is known to be saturated. (that's the cause behind poor Netflix performance recently)

However, you might be reaching the VPN server through Verizon's peering with Level3, bypassing the VZ-Cogent peering links.

Without seeing traceroutes in BOTH directions (you to server, and server to you) we can only make assumptions.

mgamer20o0

join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA
said by rebus9:

said by patt2k:

(..snip..)

Could be a function of Verizon reaching the VPN servers through a different path/peer than downloading directly.

For example, if you download directly from the FTP server, you may be reaching that server via Verizon's peering with Cogent-- which is known to be saturated. (that's the cause behind poor Netflix performance recently)

However, you might be reaching the VPN server through Verizon's peering with Level3, bypassing the VZ-Cogent peering links.

Without seeing traceroutes in BOTH directions (you to server, and server to you) we can only make assumptions.

this is exactly whats happening in my case. anytime i do anything going though cogent its like i am back on dsl. easy to say this or that isp not delivering the speed but it isnt always the case.