spc
Search similar:

uniqs
FitChicago
join:2010-12-31
Chicago, IL

FitChicago

[CATV] Al Jazeera America

Earlier this year, Current TV was sold to the Al Jazeera Media Network who is gutting Current TV and installing its own brand of news programming. On 20 August 2013, Al Jazeera America will launch as an entirely new network focused almost exclusively on U.S. domestic news.

Several prominent news personalities — John Seigenthaler from NBC; David Shuster from MSNBC; and Joie Chen, Ali Velshi and Soledad O'Brien from CNN — have joined the Al Jazeera America roster. Former ABC News executive Kate O'Brian has been named president of the network and will head the editorial operation.

Will RCN seamlessly transition Current TV to Al Jazeera America on 20 August? (As Current was only available in SD, is there any possibility on adding an HD version of Al Jazeera America?

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

I'll be interested to see how RCN handles this, as well.

Here in DC, we have a pair of independent, non-commercial over-the-air stations, WNVC-DT and WNVT-DT, that broadcast a dozen standard-definition international sub-channels between them. For example, some of the networks they broadcast are NHK World, France 24, Ethiopian Television, China Central TV, etc, etc. RCN carries ten of these channels, I think. But a few years ago, one of these channels switched from BVN, a network from The Netherlands, to Al Jazeera English. RCN abruptly deleted this channel from the lineup, and in multiple inquiries as to why they refused to carry Al Jazeera English (a separate channel from Al Jazeera America, mind you), RCN would not offer an explanation whatsoever. So I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see Current TV disappear from the lineup on 20 August. We shall see what happens.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

Pacomartin

I am not aware that RCN Lehigh Valley or RCN Philadelphia carry Current TV. Maybe it is broadcast as part of another channel.

The Department of State has the following comment on their website:
U.S.-QATAR RELATIONS
The United States established diplomatic relations with Qatar in 1972 following its independence from the United Kingdom. Bilateral relations are strong, with the United States and Qatar coordinating closely on regional diplomatic initiatives and cooperating to increase security in the Persian Gulf. The two countries have a defense pact, and Qatar hosts CENTCOM Forward Headquarters. Qatar has supported North Atlantic Treaty Organization and U.S. military operations in the region. Hundreds of Qataris study in the United States, and several U.S. universities have branch campuses in Qatar.

Certainly no obvious reason to black out their news organization.
JamiLeeD
join:2004-01-03
Silver Spring, MD

JamiLeeD to FitChicago

to FitChicago
Regarding al-Jazeera English, back in July 2009, I wrote to MHz and asked them. They said:
Thanks for your email and support of the MHz Networks mission.

For clarification, RCN has elected to not carry MHz Networks 5 (channel 34) as of July 1. As a local educational broadcaster, all of our multicast channels are provided to RCN, just as they are to all the other service providers in the metro region.

MHz has not had any role, technical or otherwise, in the channel not being available to RCN subscribers.
As I posted over two years ago, RCN's reply was:
I do apologize for the trouble that you have had with your cable services. As of July 1, 2009 Megahertz Network has taken BVN, Channel 34, off of the air. In order to contact the proper people about this the following information is:

* Phone - 703-770-7100
* Web - www.mhznetworks.org
The other day I sent a message to RCN's Facebook account asking about al-Jazeera America. The reply:
I have sent your question over to my channel procurement team. Once, I get a response, I will give you a definitive answer.
I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by JamiLeeD:

As of July 1, 2009 Megahertz Network has taken BVN, Channel 34, off of the air.

Interesting. Blame the other guy on both ends

From their website:
»www.mhznetworks.org/abou ··· h-mhz-dc
* Due to channel reconfiguration related to the digital transition, channel numbers for the new MHz Networks 12-channel line-up have yet to be defined. MHz Networks channels 1-8 are currently distributed on RCN cable and Verizon FiOS.

While there is a table indicating which four channels are removed for RCN and FIOS, they are not the same four channels. RCN is not showing Al-Jazeera English, Arirang TV (Korean), VTV America (Vietnamese and other languages), and MHz Worldview (English language). FIOS has four different channels excluded.

Nobody is fessing up to any deliberate censuring.

Please post more information as this topic is very fascinating.
FitChicago
Chicago, IL

FitChicago to machpost

to machpost
Current TV is broadcast on channel 326 in all RCN markets (Except the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley markets where Current TV is not offered).

On 20 August 2013 Current TV becomes Al Jazeera America ( »america.aljazeera.com/ ) which has the potential to be a top-notch news outlet where actual journalism will be at the forefront.

Let me rephrase my question:
In the markets that RCN broadcasts Current TV on 20 August will subscribers receive Al Jazeer America???
FitChicago

FitChicago

UPDATE:
According to the Al Jazeera America site's channel finder RCN here in Chicago will air the network on channel 326: »america.aljazeera.com/co ··· 613.html

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to FitChicago

to FitChicago
said by FitChicago:

Current TV is broadcast on channel 326 in all RCN markets (Except the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley markets where Current TV is not offered).

I hope they add it to the Philadelphia and LV markets as well.
JamiLeeD
join:2004-01-03
Silver Spring, MD

JamiLeeD to Pacomartin

to Pacomartin
It's why I pretty much gave up on the topic until the sale of Current/creation of aJA happened. As I recall, it was originally announced that aJE was going to be on RCN (according to MHz), but then launch day occurred and nothing came of it. Which is why I'll believe that we get al-Jazeera America when I see it.

CW83
@rcn.com

CW83

Anon

Al-Jazeera America will run on channel 326, beginning at 3:00pm on August 20. Enjoy!
FitChicago
Chicago, IL

FitChicago

I'm begging RCN to offer an HD broadcast of Al Jazeera America in addition to the SD broadcast on 326.

Their incredible graphics packages and sets look blah in SD...

grapkoski
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC

grapkoski to FitChicago

Premium Member

to FitChicago
Hopefully, one day soon... I completely agree.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to FitChicago

to FitChicago
There is no HD package yet to offer, but I suspect it will be coming soon.