uniqs
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Setting up IRC

I can't seem to DCC on IRC even having port 5000-5006 open, any ideas?

EA6200

Software Version 1535941/1 firmware version: 1.1.40.1515643

(the software it came with)

-Rob

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Those ports you setup in IRC must also be forwarded in the router to the PC running IRC client. That PC must be using a fixed IP address not DHCP.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

1 edit

Rob_

Premium Member

Click for full size
Here's a picture of the setup page, In media prioritization, I have this PC setup for the outgoing DCC ports, not working.

-Rob

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI

MVM

Hi Rob,

First, be aware I have no EA series router. Just an old timer noting the disconnect you're experiencing.

Port forwarding is not related to Media Prioritization and DCC needs incoming, not outgoing ports.

The new breed of Linksys routers, including "EA" series, has changed the interface so dramatically, old timers like myself aren't even sure what they're doing with all that "fluff".

But I looked at an old standby site: »ui.linksys.com/
Here, many router models are listed and their interfaces presented as a mock-up. There is no EA-6200 but the EA-6300 looks very much like your post. So...

I found port forwarding buried in this mess as follows:
Security -> Apps and Gaming -> Port Range Forwarding

I'm at least a decade out of using IRC for DCC but wrote up a general guide waaaay back then:
»LinkSys Routers and mIRC

There's also much discussion here:
»getting mirc to dcc

IRC is a very ancient protocol by today's standards. These guides, over 10 years old, are still valid in all the concepts. Sorry they're not very up to date. IRC is still very active but mostly just geeks these days - so there's not much call for getting IRC / DCC working in a 2013 router.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Nice write up Bill

and Yes it was a decade ago when IRC was used, not much on it these days. Maybe it is starting back up with all the troubles in news groups and index sites lately.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI

MVM

Heyas! Thanks. About IRC... Yeah... Hackers and Crackers and Geeks, oh my... It's the protocol choice of botnets, too.

Actually... I'm active in Leo Laporte's IRC "chatroom" at »twit.tv using XChat on Linux but never setup DCC.

BTW, I got those old posts from: »/faq/3741 but the links are broken.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Thanks, will have to seek that out, am not too happy with this new interface.

-Rob