how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wonko93

join:2013-08-12
Surrey, BC

[BC] Shaw alternatives?

Since moving from Richmond to Surrey, I've had terrible performance with Shaw. I subscribe to their broadband 100Mbit service. In Richmond, I guess I was spoiled. I consistently got 85+ Mbit, no matter what time of day. Now, I can get 85+ Mbit if I happen to be home on a week day morning, but evenings and weekends when I'm actually home, performance drops drastically, to around 3Mbit.

I know a 100Mbit subscription doesn't guarantee a constant 100Mbit service, but 3Mbit is ridiculous!

I've emailed back and forth with Shaw and they acknowledge that it is likely a congestion issue (densely packed townhouse complex). However, they still want to send a tech out to see if they can find anything. The problem is, I can't be home during the day, so scheduling will be tricky and even if they do come out, chances are they'll be too early to witness the problem first hand.

I know Teksavvy use Shaw for the last mile, so I assume any congestion issues with Shaw will also affect Teksavvy. Are there any alternatives that can provide a 100Mbit or greater service in Surrey that don't use Shaw infrastructure?

Thanks,

Pete

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
MLPP with Teksavvy, or the other 3rd party DSL companies

I think Lightspeed has Telus' 50 plans, Teksavvy doesn't yet, so that combined with MLPP could get you 100 mbps

Unless you want to pay for commerial service, Terago and the like...

Would suggest and recomend Novus, but you would know if they are available where you are lol
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
I had two Lightspeed ADSL accounts one at home and one at work. I still have the one at work and cancelled the one at home as I got their cable internet. The ADSL was WAY more stable, I kept it as backup but eventually canceled it as the cable was unlimited DL/UL. The cable connections has huge speed issues at different times of the day (Bird Land area) and has gone down several times because of issues on SHAW's side.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
I got a quote from Lightspeed for my home a few weeks ago, was quoted, in my opinion, a high rate rate for internet, $270/month for 50/10 and 350GB transfer, $500 in startup costs
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
Hmm my initial set up was no where near that. I bought the modem and don't remember any install fees. Pretty much first month and modem fee. I'll have to see if I still have the first invoice.