Search similar:

uniqs
Expand your moderator at work
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog

Re: [Internet] When Will I get Bell Internet In My Area?

said by hogtownhog:

Cellular networks are quite fast if you're living in the right area. You can readily get 15/15 Mb/s over LTE.

But it also costs 3 arms and 2 legs for service.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to geokilla

to geokilla
So what I meant by numbers is chances are there are 2 brown boxes in your neighborhood, these are each numbered by the cable that distributes from there, the one going to your house will have one number and the one going to the nursing home will be numbered differently.

The last part of my post was that the home may also by on the same cable as you but theyve paid bell to have the slams hooked up in the IT room of the home and that would be why they get it because the slams are in the home rather than the box.

Easy and simple way to find out why they get it and you dont, is to pm me your number (or any number of someone geographically close to you, same street, etc.) And to 411 a number in the home and I can tell right away if they're on the same cable you are
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Well is there anything I can do to help get rid of this monopoly? Maybe an industry manager contact or something?

said by yyzlhr:

Rogers providing phone service is completely irrelevant. They do not offer POTS service like Bell, their home phone service operates over the same coax cables that were already in place.

But don't they have to upgrade the coaxial cables like what they did to their DSL cables? I remember back then, Bell told me I can get 2mbps download from them. Now it's increased to 6mbps.

Good for you... Wish I could get 5 mbps..... instead I got 2 sim cards of Turbo hub..... and the bills to go with it.... since my with works online connecting to assorted hospitals through VPN, I would prefer better.... but it would be a great start.

Anyways, you aren't doing too bad by my standards!

R
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Some developments like townhouse complexes and condos may strike exclusivity agreements with one provider during the preconstruction phase.

Now that your area is built, it's probably not financially viable for Bell to lay infrastructure in your area. The only thing you can do is to pay Bell for bringing service to your area, which won't be cheap.

How do I do that? Pay bell to bring DSL to my area?

I am currently a turbo hub user, who has no plans to shut down his turbo hub (backup service & travel use), who really wants the fastest DSL, and/or a business connection (for connecting to assorted VPN's).

R
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Usually there will be a brown box within a 1 mile radius of you, that will have 4 yellow numbers on it (ex 123-4), somewhere within 1.5kms of the nursing home (or right on their property) there will be another brown box with 4 orher yellow numbers on it, if there is no other box with different numbers for the nursing home then they are on the same cable as you but theyve paid for high speed slams (7330s) to be installed in their basement it room

Well that would be a huge and long walk trying to find a brown box... And even then, all I know is that there's a brown box with numbers. I don't understand the other part of your post regarding the numbers...

CANADIANSOUP
join:2011-06-27
Mississauga, ON

CANADIANSOUP to geokilla

to geokilla
I live in Meadowvale "Mississauga" L5N

37 yr+ old Neighborhood. Closet CO is Streetsville which is within 3.4 kms.
But billions miles of copper between my house and CO.

Mostly likely will get FTTH or FTTN when I'm 65
Currently 44yrs old
btech805
Canada

btech805 to geokilla

to geokilla
Usually there will be a brown box within a 1 mile radius of you, that will have 4 yellow numbers on it (ex 123-4), somewhere within 1.5kms of the nursing home (or right on their property) there will be another brown box with 4 orher yellow numbers on it, if there is no other box with different numbers for the nursing home then they are on the same cable as you but theyve paid for high speed slams (7330s) to be installed in their basement it room
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Ie even though the nursing home is right beside you, its on a different cable and there fore a different crossbox.

Is there a way to check the cable without digging holes in the ground? And if you can, is there a way to identify it?
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to btech805

to btech805
Probably a function of the better speeds.

Since I got my new phone (HSPA+ network), my data usage has gone through the roof. I'm on Wind, so no big deal, but I can easily use many times more data than I used to on my old BlackBerry (BIS can't account for such a large change)
btech805
Canada

btech805 to geokilla

to geokilla
Not a clue but my data usage went way up. Maybe it's me using more data because I can load pages quicker, idk
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Lte will also blow your data usage in a hurry, at least from what ive noticed on my cells, I have a 5gb data plan and never used more than 2 gb/month before I got an lte phone and now its a consistent 4gb so I turned off the lte and just use hspa+

Why would LTE cause more data usage...? Mine's been the same.
btech805
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805 to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
Lte will also blow your data usage in a hurry, at least from what ive noticed on my cells, I have a 5gb data plan and never used more than 2 gb/month before I got an lte phone and now its a consistent 4gb so I turned off the lte and just use hspa+
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

HeadSpinning to DKS

to DKS
LTE isn't a great option. I ended up turning off LTE on my iPhone 5 to force it to HSPA+ because coverage was so spotty.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
said by hogtownhog:

said by DKS:

Many of us do just fine with the 5056/800 profile. Wireless cellular is slower.

Cellular networks are quite fast if you're living in the right area. You can readily get 15/15 Mb/s over LTE.

ROTFL! You don't live in rural Ontario, do you. Speed can go from 9 meg down to well less than 1 meg. Black holes? Lots of them. LTE is not universal beyond the GTA, either. It is slowly being lit, but there are still huge gaps. Bell still sells WiMax in certain counties out here.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to geokilla

to geokilla
Ie even though the nursing home is right beside you, its on a different cable and there fore a different crossbox.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
said by hogtownhog:

Do you know exactly how your house is fed? If your house is fed straight from the CO you're stuck with whatever you have at the moment. At least until pair bonding is rolled out for internet customers. The nursing home might also be fed straight from the CO, but it will have a basement where they can have a stinger or a 7330 installed.

In English please?
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog to what07

to what07
said by DKS:

said by what07:

I don't understand this logic either. In my case 2 nursing homes have been upgraded. So why can't my house be the same when I'm less then 200 meters away from them. 6mbps isn't cutting it for 3 people in a single house hold.

Do you know exactly how your house is fed? If your house is fed straight from the CO you're stuck with whatever you have at the moment. At least until pair bonding is rolled out for internet customers. The nursing home might also be fed straight from the CO, but it will have a basement where they can have a stinger or a 7330 installed.
what07
join:2013-07-18
Toronto, ON

what07 to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by LazMan:

To the OP: As has been mentioned, you're unlikely to see a remote slam added, if your complex is in bed with Rogers... The business case/RoI just wouldn't be there.

Which is what I don't understand. Down the street approximately 300M away from my house and townhouse complex, those houses get what I'd like to call modern Internet speeds. Not some crappy 6mbps download. Having 6mbps download is like having no Internet in your house. 10 years ago, 6mbps was more than enough when all you did was browse on Netscape and stuff. But now with streaming and all this downloading...

I don't understand this logic either. In my case 2 nursing homes have been upgraded. So why can't my house be the same when I'm less then 200 meters away from them. 6mbps isn't cutting it for 3 people in a single house hold.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

HeadSpinning to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Which is what I don't understand. Down the street approximately 300M away from my house and townhouse complex, those houses get what I'd like to call modern Internet speeds. Not some crappy 6mbps download. Having 6mbps download is like having no Internet in your house. 10 years ago, 6mbps was more than enough when all you did was browse on Netscape and stuff. But now with streaming and all this downloading...

I have 5 Meg at home. I'm able to browse the web and watch Netflix. It'd be nice to have faster, but there isn't anything that I want to do but can't with only 5 Meg.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to geokilla

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by LazMan:

To the OP: As has been mentioned, you're unlikely to see a remote slam added, if your complex is in bed with Rogers... The business case/RoI just wouldn't be there.

geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

i live in a single house with my dad... i don't have time to wait for my dl's to increase and decrease in speed... annoying
MJB33

MJB33 to what07

to what07
the public is to dumb to understand how the internet works, the technologies used, and the state it is in right now. with all the censorship, copyright bills.... taxes.. etc.. etc.. they just want internet for news and email.... we downloaders are ******!!!
what07
join:2013-07-18
Toronto, ON

what07 to LazMan

to LazMan
Not to sound rude or anything, but whats wrong with saying he would like ftth?

I would like it as well, kinda tired of 5/1 shared by 4 people not gonna lie. :P

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to AnonMJB

Premium Member

to AnonMJB
said by AnonMJB :

Still waiting for ftth... Wishing it would come to my neighborhood...

And within a relatively short timeframe (5-10 years) you will almost certainly have FTTH.

You still have yet to explain why you need it; though.

AnonMJB
@acndigital.net

AnonMJB to sbrook

Anon

to sbrook
Enjoying max 10mbit upload... Read the book called captive audience: the telecom industry and monopoly power in the new gilded age...

Still waiting for ftth... Wishing it would come to my neighborhood...

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook to DKS

Mod

to DKS
The industry uses quite old cables and they work well, whether for cable TV or telephony. As long as they aren't disturbed and leak moisture inside etc.

What both industries upgrade is the main feeds from the head ends to the nodes which have gone from coax with distribution amps to fibre. All other equipment that has been upgraded is the frequency sensitive equipment of faulty things like connectors, and the change from RG-59 to RG-6 cable for drops as required.

Telco last mile cabling is rarely a problem itself ... it's usually connections and lightning arrestors etc that suffer the problems and they're replaced as required.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MJB33

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

copper since it was installed.. only when the customer notices that their phone and internet don't work when the modem is power on and the lines are perfect inside the house....

Copper technology is incredibly stable and versatile and it has been around a lot longer than anyone here has been alive. It has limitations, which are constantly being expanded. Please stop acting like a spoilt child, just because you can't have what you want, right now.

rogers will install fiber once when they build the neighborhood..... then they will never upgrade ever... the same with both companies... can't get better than that..

Again, you know little of what you speak. Rogers has completely rewired their system in many cities outside of Toronto and invested millions in upgrading infrastructure. Just because it isn't located where YOU are doesn't mean that it hasn't been happening.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to MJB33

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

when bell has made millions of useless money given to corporate scumbags then they will upgrade.... meaning they will never do that... copper since it was installed.. only when the customer notices that their phone and internet don't work when the modem is power on and the lines are perfect inside the house.... rogers will install fiber once when they build the neighborhood..... then they will never upgrade ever... the same with both companies... can't get better than that..

Well old coaxial lines can't support 150/10 can it? I mean the house is at least 40 years old after all.. Surely they must have done some upgrades?