spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Penny Wells

join:2013-08-12

Suggestion for build a video wall

Hello, I want to build a video wall with 6 screen. What do I need? A video wall controller?
Hope more suggestions!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
So you have six monitors you want to use is that it?

If that is the case you need a way to mount them and connect them to a signal source. An AMD (ATI) Eyefinity card should be able to handle that many outputs.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14129274

What exactly do you want to do with this thing?

If you have multiple projectors you could probably work something out there too in order to cover a greater area projected on a wall.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Penny Wells
I love it when someone posts a hard question with absolutely NO information to help us know what to say.

Penny, if you're not a drive by poster, you need to tell us much more so we have some idea how to help you.

What size screens?

What use, if commercial, what type?

What computer, make, model, revision?

What budget?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Penny Wells

join:2013-08-12
reply to Penny Wells
I already have 6 monitors, and my boss wants to connect them for playing videos in our activity.
We are also considering to buy 3 more monitors, then we will have 9.
I want to make sure what kind of applications I need, and then I will talk with my boss about choosing what we want to buy based on budget, functions,etc.
Thanks.

s_becker

join:2013-04-05

1 edit
reply to Penny Wells
Octavean See Profile already posted a link to a Readon supporting up to 6 displays. AMD also provides FirePro for up to 8 displays:
»www.amd.com/us/products/workstat···emv.aspx

Here is a link to a matrox for 8 displays:
»www.matrox.com/graphics/en/produ···pciex16/

If you need even more, I would suggest two AMD video cards, whether it's Readon or a FirePro. Eyefinity should work with two of this cards. Keep in mind that you need a software like Eyefinity do display the video over all screens, which is what you want if I understand correctly.

Hope this helps a bit.

---
edit: Replaced the german link to the AMD site with the us link.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to Penny Wells
Are you looking at different output to each monitor, or combining the monitors as one large display?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Penny Wells
There are different ways to mount a display,....

Mount directly to a wall would typically require a different mounting system then mounting to a desk using a clamp on system or even a desktop stand.

So how do you want to mount them?

The intended use is important because the GPU processing must be adequate enough to provide the experience you're looking for. Adding monitors increases the resolution and the necessity for more graphical computational power.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Penny Wells
You didn't name the make and model computer that will be used, but that is just needed to find out if it has a PCI Express x16 slot, or if it has more than one. If not, the solutions available will be fewer. It's really important to provide enough background information, because offering specific answers necessitates specific questions.

Also, not that I'd know any difference myself, but what software?

Will each screen have an independent image? If so, you're gonna need some processing power, and some RAM, is that correct guys? Would an i3 system be adequate in such a case? Would 8 GB RAM be enough? If the answer is no, the OP needs to be aware of that.

Furthermore, the computer's power supply might need PEG connectors to power the video card(s) (PCI Express Graphics power connectors). PEG connectors come in 6 pin and 8 pin, and some cards use 2 of them (higher end products).

So, you see, we need information.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Penny Wells
What size monitor?

»www.naplestech.com/shopcart/lcd_···p990.asp

this might do bu it might not
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Jim T

join:2013-08-15
reply to Penny Wells
Not sure, but for your reference:
»www.advantech.com/video-solution/

They have series of video wall related products. The video wall controller may be a choice.