hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

[Exede] Usage issue

Well, in July I got an email that I was at 75% usage, and a few days later, I got an email telling me I was FAP'ed. Thats all fine and dandy, but the problem is that we were on VACATION during this time.

So, I called my NRTC Coop support line, which gets answered in less than TWO rings which is pretty cool. The tech looks at my Tria and modem numbers and sees that some Tria numbers were way out of whack. He said that its either a bad aiming or more likely a bad Tria. I did not know that usage is measured at the NOC, and if there are constant retry's and resends of data, it ALL adds up. Gives me a case number and says a service tech will be in touch.

Guess what? The NEXT day, a service tech from the Coop calls and wants to come right away and look at my system. It was SATURDAY! I couldn't accomodate him, so the guys says Monday would work too. Long story short, this guy had the AUDACITY to show up at the EXACT time that he promised! The nerve of them!!!!!!!!

Long story short, my dish was way out of alignment probably due to ground heaving, etc over time. He re-aims my dish, and is gone in less than 40 minutes. Speed tests show 18M down, 2.5-3M up on the 10G package. Usage seems to have dropped a ton in the few short days since.

How dare a company answer the phone in under 2 rings, make a decent diagnosis, has a tech that wants to come on a Saturday, shows up on time, and fixes the problem in less than 1 hour!!!! (Sarcasm) I thank yself EVERY DAY for getting my service from a local NRTC Coop who truly knows how to take care of customers. Oh.....by the way, NO CHARGE for the service call. Impressive.

HDMan
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

Exede Zac

join:2013-03-06
Davenport, IA
kudos:1
hdman,

Thanks very much for the sarcastic, yet positive feedback! I enjoyed reading this post and to know that our NRTC Partner was very responsive and on top of the situation was excellent to see!
We do strive to do the best we can for every customer whenever an issue arises and I'm very glad they quickly narrowed down the issue and resolved it in a timely fashion that worked around your schedule.

Keep informing us of the great work and of course, any issues that arise as we are here to help! Thanks!
--
Exede Zac
Exede Internet Social Media Escalations

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to hdman
I am glad hdman got his dish realigned, but let's look at this situation. Is Viasat really suggesting a misaligned dish could eat away data???? Please. If that is the case, you have a serious problem with how your meter is tracking data (and I can only imagine how many dishes out there are not peaked at optimum). That would mean all the usage was being ate up while the dish was trying to maintain communication with the satellite. I have read postings from Exede's own forum that data used to maintain connection is NOT counted.

Think about what you are saying here.

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL
Keep in mind that a mis-aligned dish results in many valid data packets having to be resent because of errors in transmission...that is the reason a mis-aligned dish causes excess usage...not the modem's attempt to maintain lock to the satellite..that is not counted as usage...

With as many thunderstorms we get here locally, and as many times the modem has to loop to regain satellite lock I've never seen it counted as usage..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to hdman
If you read the original post you might note they were "on vacation". Hence no user data was being sent to create "excess usage". Besides, I am sure you have read Viasat post on their forum that data is "supposedly" counted between the ethernet port and the modem, not between the modem and the satellite.

Honestly, I don't think the misaligned dish contributed to her usage problems. I think there is still a problem from time to time with the Exede usage meter.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
Oldsat, first of all I'm not a HER, I'm a HIM. Second of all, I never once said that while I was away there wasn't something in my home that is online. I have a few items that are online all the time, and while they do use some data, they have been there since day one. Second of all, we all know that Excede has been having meter issues, and they recently acknowledged one at the end of July, which was exactly during this time.

The point of my post was this:
1. Your dish bein gout of alignment CAN and DOES effect your data usage, period, end of discussion on that point. What about the other 3 weeks I was there, using my normal amount of data that was being perhaps doubled and tripled due to retrys.
2. I continue to be amazed by those people who continue to bash the service, which is HIGHLY contigent on a proper installation. There are many BAD installers out there. I have not seen this ever, mainly because I always work through my local NRTC Coop. I can't stress enough that if people have one available, that should be their FIRST choice for service. These companies have brick and mortar in the local community, and hire locally, and care about the service they provide. I can't say the same for many of the generic Dish/Direct installers who happen to also try to install bi-directional services. They are NOT the same. I'm not saying they are all bad, just that I would trust my local coop over anybody, first an foremost.

I sure hope this ends the confusion.....

HDMan....(M-A-N)
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to hdman
I respectively disagree that a misaligned dish was the cause of your usage spike. Here is how an Exede moderator stated data is being counted...

»www.wildblueworld.com/forum/show···ng/page2

So if what Exede Nick is true...how did your usage spike again?

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL
said by OldSatUser:

I respectively disagree that a misaligned dish was the cause of your usage spike. Here is how an Exede moderator stated data is being counted...

»www.wildblueworld.com/forum/show···ng/page2

So if what Exede Nick is true...how did your usage spike again?

Well, you're looking at very old information...

I agree that there was a problem at one time with modem-looping problems causing usage to spike for some customers...but that problem was corrected with later modem firmware and can no longer be used as an excuse for excessive usage by the customer.

A mis-aligned dish still causes excessive usage for customers simply because too many packets have to be resent because of transmission errors...

To blame excessive usage problems on the system is ignoring the real problem now....
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

Abyss1992

join:2012-08-18
Walton, WV
reply to hdman
I'v said it once and I"ll say it again. The usage meters are not needed.
--
Broadband Companys worst nightmare

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to hdman
I guess you are right Bama. That information is all of three months old!!! Very old indeed...

I also don't know how you "know" the latest firmware "fixed" all these metering issues and it is all the customers' fault now, but hey, time will tell.

I guess MR. Hdman will see if HE gets hit with any unexplained usage in the future now that HIS dish is properly aligned.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
I really don't think that anybody is saying that there aren't issues with the meter, and I also agree with Abyss that usage meters are not needed in MOST cases. However, there are still abusers who will gobble up bandwidth, and with sat based service, there is certainly a limited amount of bandwidth to go around.

However, please understand, that when you are not aligned properly, your causing the NOC to retransmit packets over and over and over until your system gets all the packets in order, and can present the data to you or get a file that you are downloading to complete. Also understand that the data is metered AT THE NOC, not the modem. So if the NOC has to resend packets over and over, that counts against your usage. I am talking about DOWNLOAD usage here, but remember, it all adds up to the magical 10G and pow, you're FAPped.

Have a day!

HDMan
--

Abyss1992

join:2012-08-18
Walton, WV
I'v had Exede-12 for about a year and a half now and during the first few months I went over 50GB a month regularly. That being said the bird has 126GB of bandwidth available a day. and with my maximum DL speed of 2.5MB/s I could get that in about 36 hours but by that time the usage would reset. During the LNFZ in one month I downloaded a total of 312GB but this is because all of my heavy browsing and downloading was restricted to that one time. If it was spaced out through the weeks than it would not have been so high.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to hdman
Care to provide us an update hdman.

»www.wildblueworld.com/forum/show···ot-right

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
Appleton, WI
Sure....its not good. I keep getting fapped....
No clue why, and I'm getting a tad pissed about it.
--

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to hdman
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get resolution. I would stay after the mods on the Viasat Exede forum and demand answers. I have yet to know anybody that has got a good explaination for these meter inaccuracies above the standard replies of "virus", "cloud service", "unsecured router"...Exede seems to be the most stolen internet service in the country..."teens using the service unknowingly", "up to 24 hours for the meter to update", etc.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to hdman
I was thinking the NRTC provided by the day usage in like a spreadsheet like layout
Am I remembering right?

Most NRTC installation & support is pretty good
Many local Dealers offer quality personal service too

Giving your order to a toll free number from a google search and likely a subcontractor will be your installer - flip a coin....

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
said by Liberty:

I was thinking the NRTC provided by the day usage in like a spreadsheet like layout

They dropped that format...just a summation result

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
reply to Liberty
You are remembering right Liberty. Unfortunately that was with Wildblue Legacy from at least 2006 until I would say sometime in 2011. Then they "modified" the meter and actually removed the functionality for the daily usage report. I really miss that old meter!