All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bobTeatow
join:2003-01-17
Lake Worth, FL

bobTeatow

[Speed] Docsis 3.0 in Danbury-Bethel CT?

Click for full size
CM100 status report
Click for full size
My Docsis 2 modem speedtest showing 33Mbps down / 10Mbps up. Any point in upgrading the modem in my service area? I'm currently a "Blast!" customer, IIRC the advertised rate is 50Mbps...

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

If it is 50 Mbps in your area you will never receive all of it with only a DOCSIS 2 modem.. 30-35 if you're lucky.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to bobTeatow

Premium Member

to bobTeatow
Docsis 3 is available in Bethel according to this.
»Bethel, CT

bobTeatow
Lake Worth, FL

bobTeatow

Thanks. I'll try to pick up a Docsis 3 modem on ebay and give it a shot. Seems prices have come down. Some models, below $40... I'm not expecting a lot... but we'll see.
bobTeatow

bobTeatow to EG

to EG
Right, point was to ask if Docsis 3.0 is really deployed in my area and what rates are people getting?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Don't buy a modem on Ebay/Amazon while not buying directly from Amazon. There's always someone complaining about how Comcast won't let the modem on the network because it was stolen such and such. Buy from retailers such as Best Buy.

Actual rates for Blast are about 57ish Download/11-12ish upload from what I saw.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to bobTeatow

Premium Member

to bobTeatow
Don't buy a modem on eBay, it's a total crap shot with the chances of getting a stolen modem grater than a legitimate one.
I have heard some bad thing about Amazon also, but I have bought half a dozen modems from them over the years and never had any problems.
If you want to be really safe, go to BestBuy.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

...I have heard some bad thing about Amazon also, but I have bought half a dozen modems from them over the years and never had any problems....

I bought two modems through Amazon, no problems whatsoever, and a good price as well. I did make sure that Amazon was the actual seller, and not some other entity that was using Amazon's third-party marketspace storefront.

bobTeatow
Lake Worth, FL

bobTeatow

Good point. I've not been burned. But as a precaution I've asked the seller to go on record that it is his to sell and not stolen or on lease from a cable company. I believe Ebay/Paypal will refund and charge back in cases of misrepresentation or fraud.
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

said by bobTeatow:

Good point. I've not been burned. But as a precaution I've asked the seller to go on record that it is his to sell and not stolen or on lease from a cable company. I believe Ebay/Paypal will refund and charge back in cases of misrepresentation or fraud.

Even if its not stolen it may still be registered to the sellers or someone else's account. Many members here have had old modems still registered to their accounts even though they have not been used in years. Comcast will not activate a modem if its MAC address is associated with another account.

Buying a cable modem from a private sell should be avoided. Only purchase a brand new modem (never registered) from a reputable retailer.

joe40
join:2005-11-26
Danbury, CT

1 recommendation

joe40 to bobTeatow

to bobTeatow
in Danbury we have Docsis 3
I have 8 downstream channels and 2 up
speed hit 65 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up with blast service

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk to bobTeatow

to bobTeatow
Instead of going through all that trouble just head over to Best buy and pick one up. Just say'in to save you time and aggravation.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to bobTeatow

Premium Member

to bobTeatow
said by bobTeatow:

Don't even waste your time going that route. Get yourself one of these: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· ola+6141

Or one of these: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· om+5341j

Either of these modems are 8x4 and will most certainly give you every drop of your Blast service. I have the Motorola 6141 and get 55-65/11 off of it.

Best Buy price matches as I saw when I got to the store. And my 100 dollar modem was 46.29 when I walked out with it 15 minutes later.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

said by bobTeatow:

Don't even waste your time going that route. Get yourself one of these: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· ola+6141

Either of these modems are 8x4 and will most certainly give you every drop of your Blast service. I have the Motorola 6141 and get 55-65/11 off of it.

Best Buy price matches as I saw when I got to the store. And my 100 dollar modem was 46.29 when I walked out with it 15 minutes later.

The DPC3008 is a little cheaper directly from Amazon .

»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· 5&sr=8-1

I haven't had a problem with it except that it runs a little hot. Also, it's so light that I can't lay this modem vertically without it flipping over from the coax cable.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

said by Chris 313:

said by bobTeatow:

The DPC3008 is a little cheaper directly from Amazon .

»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· 5&sr=8-1

I haven't had a problem with it except that it runs a little hot. Also, it's so light that I can't lay this modem vertically without it flipping over from the coax cable.

By now, any modem that does 8x4 or better is pretty good. Interesting link you put out.

bobTeatow
Lake Worth, FL

bobTeatow

Followup: Docsis 3.0 in Bethel-Danbury!

Got a DPC3000(Cisco) "used" from a prime dealer on Amazon for $40!
Seemed to light up and lock on to the cable signal so went ahead and activated with a call to Comcast. Voila! They accepted and now I'm getting 4x2 Docsis 3.0 service (modem is capable of 4x4)
bobTeatow

bobTeatow

60+/10+ service with Docssis 3.0

Click for full size
bobTeatow

bobTeatow

4x2 Docsis 3.0 bonding with DPC3000 in Bethel-Danbury CT

Click for full size
4 chnls down, 2 up