All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

Is that seriously what a FIOS install looks like?

I've never actually seen one of these installations first hand. Was beginning to wonder if it actually existed, or just urban legand.

Is all that non-sense really what it takes?

That picture looks like a:
ONT
Battery backup
AC power adapter
FIOS Coax router (whatever they call this device)
Router power supply
Coax splitter

And I can only imagine that many people don't have two free outlets, so now they need an outlet strip.

That's five separate components! You'd think all of that would be built into one, compact box, with one power cord!

Guess that's one more reason Verizon can't figure out why it costs them so much per install!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

Re: Is that seriously what a FIOS install looks like?

said by AnonMe :

And I can only imagine that many people don't have two free outlets, so now they need an outlet strip.

It requires a dedicated "Telephone use only" outlet, one time only all professional setup .

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to AnonMe

to AnonMe
Your assertion is absolutely ridiculous.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by PapaMidnight:

Your assertion is absolutely ridiculous.

Perhaps for multiple unit buildings but I was commenting on the photo and was referring to single unit premises. Let me guess a socket on a light switch is OK down there?

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

My BBU shares an outlet with my garage door opener. No "telephone use only" outlet.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by Thespis:

My BBU shares an outlet with my garage door opener. No "telephone use only" outlet.

I know there are substandard installations out there, I wouldn't brag if I didn't want mine done right and as fail safe as possible.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

Your "standards" and a proper installation are two different things. Verizon does not require a "dedicated phone outlet", whatever that is.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to AnonMe

to AnonMe
Verizon wanted to use moca exclusively but then a patent dispute arose. Eventually MOCA 2.0 will resolve much of this problem. Ethernet and DSL over phone line is too range bound for high rise buildings. They must use coax or install fiber all the way to each unit for installation of an ONT. Verizon probably underestimated how much money it would cost to wire NYC PROPERLY.. and if they did never had any intention of 100% deployment.

Nevertheless, there is a simple solution for not getting access to do the construction. Skip the building (rather than do a half-ass install) and divert those resources to upgrading outside plant so that customers can get faster speeds (south brooklyn & LI suburbs for example). Cablecos like Cablevision aren't waiting to offer faster speeds and Verizon will be caught behind unable to offer similar speeds with a FTTP solution. Quite a PR problem brewing... could be as big as DSL under the old RBOC days..

The future is voice/internet lines... Video & cable tv are the value added propositions as many people will stream/download video in the future.