Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

1 recommendation

Gizy

Premium Member

[request] IM Download/Archive

With all the site changes going on, this might be a good time to suggest an old request.

Can we have a way to download IM's, preferably by user (conversation)? Ideas:
1) Select a conversation and be able to save a file of some type to a local drive.
2) Select a conversation and have the entire conversation load to one page, regardless of how many messages there are. At least then you could print the page to PDF, save it as an html file, or save it to something like Evernote. (I prefer this method.)

I have years worth of conversations that I'd like to be able to save somehow, but not by going through 300 screens to do it. If you need to limit the messages on a screen, make the limit 500 (or more) and have a page 2, 3, 4, etc...that you can jump to and get the additional messages.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

Re: IM Download/Archive

do you have a particular format you expect to be able to download it in?

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Midwest

Gizy

Premium Member

I don't because I would personally like to have the messages load to one page (or multiples of 500 messages). Then I can save them myself with the formatting in tact.

A TXT or CSV file would work to just archive them, as long as people understood they were without formatting. (Yes, I realize that may just open a can of worms).