spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MattS
@cgocable.net

MattS

Anon

[INTERNET] My room mate downloaded a terrabyte :(

Oh the joys of having a room mate...So I looked at my internet usage for July and from the 28th to the 31st she, with the help of torrents, downloaded 850 gb. 500 gb alone in one day! Our limit is 150 gb on the Turbo 20 plan. I'm seeing that it's 1.50 per gb with a maximum of $50. Is that cap still enforced or is that waived due to the amount of GBs?

I'm really worried because the account is in my name and it would royally screw me if she's charged per gb. Any help would be fantastic, thanks!!

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by MattS :

Oh the joys of having a room mate...So I looked at my internet usage for July and from the 28th to the 31st she, with the help of torrents, downloaded 850 gb. 500 gb alone in one day! Our limit is 150 gb on the Turbo 20 plan. I'm seeing that it's 1.50 per gb with a maximum of $50. Is that cap still enforced or is that waived due to the amount of GBs?

I'm really worried because the account is in my name and it would royally screw me if she's charged per gb. Any help would be fantastic, thanks!!

Unless you have some form of written contract spelling out that you will split the bill, you are probably on the hook for the entire amount.
Grappler
join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON

Grappler to MattS

to MattS
Get a new roomate.

You are on the hook as far as Cogeco is concerned, as for your friend paying you back you will have to settle with her. That said it would appear the most you are charged will be $50.00 extra.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to MattS

Anon

to MattS
said by MattS :

Get a new ISP that has better prices for more usage.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Why not make a rule, tell your roommate no torrents allowed on your connection, if she wants to use them, get a seedbox.
I'm sure if she can download she can figure out how to use a seedbox and stop that BS on your network.

Depending on which one she picks it's a very little added on the cost for her monthly.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to MattS

Premium Member

to MattS
said by MattS :

It's to a maximum of $50. Any extra above the $50 would not be charged.

imanogre
join:2005-11-29
Smyrna, GA

imanogre to MattS

to MattS
I would change the firmware on your router to TomatoUSB and block all ports except dns,ftp,www

MattS
@cgocable.net

MattS

Anon

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. We've never come close to hitting our monthly target.

As for the $50 she's more than willing to cover it, she knows she messed up. She went through a bad break up and downloaded every episode of Breaking Bad, True Blood and It's Always Sunny. By complete coincidence she's moving out at the end of the month.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

I'd suggest the next roommate you have, you should have an internet agreement, and not allow torrents on your lan.
The cost of a seedbox is minor and stops that crap from running on your net connection.

MattS
@cgocable.net

MattS

Anon

Good call! I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to download that amount and not think it would effect the bill but here we are...

Shrugs
@videotron.ca

Shrugs

Anon

I would not bother telling people what they can or can't download, or what applications or protocols they can or can't use, as some people above are telling you. It's plain stupid and just leads to more headaches.

Your main concern here is the bill at the end of the month.

Just charge 50$ more a month of internet access and tell them to download and do whatever they want. That's it.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Well, considering downloading torrents puts him directly at risk, even if he wasn't the downloader, I'd not want to take the chance.

Next month you hear, she moved out, paid the $50 and he gets a letter from studio XYZ looking for $5k and they drag his ass into court.

No thanks.

Shrugs
@videotron.ca

Shrugs

Anon

Then he can rat her out. That's that.
There are just so many scenarios to everything. Not worth the hassle.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Doesn't stop him from having his ass dragged into court to rat her out.
Expand your moderator at work
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Nitra

to Nitra

Re: [INTERNET] My room mate downloaded a terrabyte :(

said by Nitra:

Doesn't stop him from having his ass dragged into court to rat her out.

And when you ask the plaintiff to prove that an IP Address = a Person, the case will likely get tossed - if it even makes it that far.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

cancel big telecom move to atpia like teksavvy... unless your locked with cogeco with some type of agreement.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to MattS

Premium Member

to MattS
Start offers better caps and an unlimited option from 2-6AM.
Hamilton1
join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

Hamilton1 to MattS

to MattS
You should be thankful your not on the Ultimate 30 or 60 as "ANYTHING" over our usage is $1.00 per gig wilth no cap at all. So in your case with ultimate 30 you would've gotten 275gb's for your usage and then you would've had to pay $575 dollars for the extra usage. 275 + 575 = 850gb's worth of usage.

This is one of the things that scares the crap out of me for picking ultimate 30. If someone was able to clone my Mac address they could easy rack up to $1000 in a day worth of usage and I'd be hard pressed to defend myself and say it wasn't me.

I think Cogeco needs to put back on the $50 Max usage on all there accounts so that there is no way a customer will ever run into the above scenario.

ender78
join:2002-10-17
Mississauga, ON

ender78

Its laughable that even $50 would be required. Bell charges $10 extra for unlimited if you have three services and $30 if you only have one.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Hamilton1

Premium Member

to Hamilton1
said by Hamilton1:

This is one of the things that scares the crap out of me for picking ultimate 30. If someone was able to clone my Mac address they could easy rack up to $1000 in a day worth of usage and I'd be hard pressed to defend myself and say it wasn't me.

Others have already suffered that fate. Several threads here, if you dig down. You'd have to escalate your complaint to upper management, manager of customer service out in Burlington. You'll get nowhere with first line CSRs or even their supervisors. At a minimum, you should have router logs showing the usage you are claiming to be accurate. That may not sit well with Cogeco, but they wouldn't be viewed as any less accurate in a courtroom, particularly when evidence is shown that accounts accrue usage with the modems powered off, and some even accrue usage over and above what is physically possible on the connection.

Cogeco's "world class" metering model is fscked, and everyone knows it. Even Cogeco.

Why Cogeco does so well in the usage over-billing arena is because people either don't spot it (autopay, don't read bills), don't know what it is, and/or just put up with it and pay. Cogeco relies on this stuff. It's big bucks. Millions.

Mike