spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

koan00

@metrocast.net

50 Mbit service fluke?

I have tried multiple speed test servers this morning, and the results are the same:

Something wrong with speedtest.net or are they testing new service levels?

koan00

@metrocast.net
Still going this morning too:

Evenings are another story.. getting about 30 Mbits then.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Interesting, will have to test tonight.

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
reply to koan00
I am in Nashville tonight and they have upped our speeds while I was on vacation a few times in the past so maybe it is true let me know

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
reply to koan00
Must be a VA thing, I'm not getting that in CT. But I'm not complaining, I get rock solid 36 down, 2.5 up.

koan00

@metrocast.net
I am actually in Southern Maryland. The closest test servers are VA though..

NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH
reply to koan00
Those are some pretty impressive tests! Did any of you have to power cycle your modems?

koan00

@metrocast.net
I did not reboot my modem. In fact I was kind of hesitant to reboot it for fear I might lose the new speeds. I did just reboot it last nigh, and the speeds are still here:

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
reply to koan00
Perhaps something to do with Comcast buying Metrocast MD?

koan00

@metrocast.net
They have not so far as we know (official). BTW, the link you posted in the other thread is from 2006, and it's a different county (Calvert, not St. Marys).

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
Ah, you're right! I hadn't noticed that.

Maybe nothing official, but it does seem coincidental that these speeds are showing up...

NetworkNH

join:2009-08-10
Northwood, NH
reply to koan00
Oh ok, I understand. I'd be a little hesitant as well. That's awesome though that the increase didn't disappear upon rebooting. I agree with nelamvr6, definitely seems coincidental with a possible buyout from Comcast. It would nice to see some of their speed tiers!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Exactly. Having some choice in tiers and getting some bundle savings would be great. I hated dropping Directv and would love to have some cost savings back.

jcantara

join:2009-01-25
Tilton, NH

3 edits
reply to koan00
I hate to say it, but I'd welcome a total buyout by Comcast. With Metrocast, I'm paying for 35Mbps and absolutely getting that 35Mbps on a regular basis. But I'm also paying $75 a month for it.

If I were with Comcast, I could pay $115 a month for 105Mbps, and even if they were only giving me HALF of that rated speed, it's just about the same value*. Plus, odds are that even on a bad day, you're going to get higher than half of the rated speed.

And hell, this doesn't even take into account the down right unacceptably horrible 2Mbps upstream speed that Metrocast has even on their premium package. Even Comcast's low tier offers 4Mbps upload speeds. The $115 package has upload speeds a full 10 times higher, at 20Mbps.

*Bonus Math Proof:
35Mbps at $75 = $2.14 per Mbps.
50% of 105 at $115 = $2.19 per Mbps.

quantumred

join:2010-01-05
East Lyme, CT
said by jcantara:

And hell, this doesn't even take into account the down right unacceptably horrible 2Mbps upstream speed that Metrocast has even on their premium package. Even Comcast's low tier offers 4Mbps upload speeds. The $115 package has upload speeds a full 10 times higher, at 20Mbps.

I was thinking the same. I've exchanged speed tests with a few friends, and Metrocast's upload rate is by far the most anemic compared with Charter, Comcast, Verizon, etc.

Robtomo

join:2013-02-25
Shavertown, PA
What was the outcome of speed increase? Were the lines bought by Comcast or is Metrocast increasing speeds?

koan00

@metrocast.net
I have no idea. At this time the speed is still there...even up to 80 Mbps at times. I have to test on a real download though. They may always just be testing with short speed boost like comcasts powerboost.