spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

benoitgphoto

join:2013-08-13
Saint-Jerome, QC

Frequent disconnection of Fibe Intervet and TV

Hi...I'm a new Fibe customer for 3 weeks. Once in a while (I'm not so sure exactly of the frequency, I'm actually validating that info), I am loosing the TV signals and the Internet at the same time. A reboot of the Sagecom modem fixes the issue. Here is my installation :

1) I have a Apple Time Capsule connected to the Sagemcom modem in Bridge mode
2) I also have another Airport Base station to extend the wireless network.
3) The wireless function of the Sagecom is disabled and the Time Capsule/Airport are used for WiFi
4) The PPPoe credentials are in the Sagecom modem
5) All devices on my network have a fixed IP address in the Sagemcom and UPnP is disabled
6) I have 6 devices on my network (1 wired and 5 wireless)and they are not all active at the same time
7) A tech came home to replace the white box but I still have the issue.
8) Yesterday, I enabled DMZ on the Sagemcom for my router IP address. Not sure if it's gonna help...we'll see.

After a few calls to Bell CS, I've been refered to level 2 support. The tech told me that this installation tends to create a lot of multicast in the Sagemcom modem and the modem is not performing enough to deal with that and Bell does not support that type of installation. I'm not so sure what exactly that means...

Also, I see that the DHCP lease is 3 days in the Sagecom modem (4320 minutes). I'm wondering if I'm not loosing the signal when there is a DHCP lease, that's what I'm actually validating.

Does somebody have any idea on my problem or already saw that in the past ? Is there a solution to that ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
A lot of thing happened since I posted this so I'm bumping the post with a recap.

1. The ONT have been replaced
2. The Sagemcom have been replaced
3. They told me the Time Capsule was causing multicast so the issue. The Time Capsule is unplugged and the issues still occuring.
4. Tech came back and changed my connection to a different port and/or splitter in the central panel on the street.
5. After that, issue is still occuring.
6. Disconnections use to happen between 6:30PM and 9:00 PM most of the time even though I had one in the afternoon.
7. Disconnections happen most of the time every day with only 1 time where I can remember that I did not have one for 1 day only.
8. Also, if my memory serves me well, when Bell came to do all the installation, services worked fine for a few days and the issue started a few days after.

After a more detailed check, when I loose the signals, I loose all 3 services (phone, Internet and TV) at the same time.

The only thing I'm seeing is a brownouts or power fade but I just can't believe I'm experiencing that every day.

I posted in the Bell Direct forum.

Anybody ever experienced this ? Any idea ?

btech805

join:2013-08-01
Canada
kudos:12
Are there street lights near your house or a hydro transformer within 1 or 2 properties? See if you can match the time it cuts out to when the street lamps come on or when the people start coming home from work and power consumption increases. It could be you are picking up induction from hydro

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
Yes there is a transformer on my property. I'll mention that to the support but the drops off occur at different time. I hope this is not the issue as this forces Bell to put an X on a lot of potential customers and me on Fibe TV and Internet.

Thanks for the answer...it is greatly appreciated.

jappy

join:2011-10-23
Quebec, QC
reply to benoitgphoto
Apple time capsule and airport base station are router ?

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
Not for the moment. They suspected that but I disconnected them and the issue still occurs.

jappy

join:2011-10-23
Quebec, QC
reply to benoitgphoto
get the apple time capsule to act as router
configure pppoe on it

the sagemcom go to bridge mode when you put router on port one

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
Thanks!!

btech805

Canada
reply to benoitgphoto
If there's a transformer on your property, do you have aerial or buried lines? And are you able to see when your services go out if you can stand near the transformer and hear it? Sounds like either the bell lune isn't properly bonded and grounded or the hydro services aren't properly grounded

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
Well...I just can't predict when it is gonna cut but when it happens, I can go out and check. Wiring is aerial. How can it be fixed?

Thanks for your help.
Ben

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
Another thing is coming to my mind. I do have an alarm system linked to the central. Usually, they are supposed to see when the phone line is coming back up in case of an interruption. I checked with them and even though they see arming and disarming events, they do not see anything about phone line interruptions or phone line coming back up. And when I got Fibe services, all tests have been done with the alarm company to make sure alarm system was taking the priority on the phone line.

btech805

Canada
2 things then:

1. I had a case a few days ago the customer was losing services but the alarm never lost contact which sounds like it could be your alarm in this case. If the alarm company isn't losing signal from your house but you are losing services then it is definitely the alarm system or the wiring from the alarm. Confirm with them that they aren't losing signal and if they aren't then get them out there asap. If there are gaps in when they're able to communicate with your house then im thinking it's a grounding issue which brings us to #2

2. Call bell, have the tech test the line for grounding problems and either change the aerial drop back to the house if that is picking up induction, or move to a buried line away from the hydro drop line to the house.

First thing would be to call the alarm company, and see how what they have to say.

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC

1 edit
Hi...thanks for the info. I'll recheck with the alarm company when I'll have another drop off. BTW, I did not have any cuts yesterday which does not happen very often.

A Bell tech is scheduled for friday morning throught resolution department. They are supposed to check the wiring and line. I'll mention him possible grounding issues.

Do you happen to work in Montreal area by any chance ?
Thanks
Benoiit

btech805

Canada
No im in Ottawa unfortunately

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
reply to btech805
Hi...just a couple of questions to make sure I'm following you correctly

1) In case of your customer that was loosing services but the alarm never lost contact, what was the cause of lost services ? Did it have anything to do with the alarm system or it was a separate issue ?

2) How can I test with the alarm company ? Can I just unplug the fiber optic cable ?

Thanks
Ben

btech805

Canada
1. The alarm system was the issue in my case, it was seizing the line as it is supposed to but there was an issue with the system and it wasnt releasing the line once tests were completed.

2. You can test by calling the company and ask if they're receiving consistent signal from your house, or if there are drops in when they're able to access it. Mind you the easiest way to tell if there's a problem with the system is normally the keypad will 'beep' constantly if there is no line detected.

When the tech comes Friday see if he can bypass your alarm for the time being and leave it unplugged (if you are comfortable with this) and have tour equipment plugged in without going through the alarm and see for a few days if you lose your service with the alarm not present.

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
said by btech805:

1. The alarm system was the issue in my case, it was seizing the line as it is supposed to but there was an issue with the system and it wasnt releasing the linethnce tests were completed.

Ok...I do not think this is the issue here as the cuts happens randomly and there is no coincidence with with any activity of the alarm system. But it bugs me that I loose the phone and the alarm central does not see it.

2. You can test by calling the company and ask if they're receiving consistent signal from your house, or if there are drops in when they're able to access it. Mind you the easiest way to tell if there's a problem with the system is normally the keypad will 'beep' constantly if there is no line detected.

This brings me a question : let's say as an hypothesis, there is a power fade which cause the ONT to go on the UPS. At the moment of the power fade, I should loose the TV and the Internet but the system is giving priority to the phone line. In that case, is there a lost of phone for a short time (let's say a minute or so) before going on the UPS ?

When the tech comes Friday see if he can bypass your alarm for the time being and leave it unplugged (if you are comfortable with this) and have tour equipment plugged in without going through the alarm and see for a few days if you lose your service with the alarm not present.

This is a good idea. However, will I be able to replug the alarm ?

btech805

Canada
If the alarm is taking priority, you would lose all services until the alarm releases the line.

If you can get the tech to bypass the alarm have him put in a simple way for you to reconnect it (if he seems like a nice guy/gal, as we really aren't supposed to do this...) such as putting a jack or device with the phone line connected to and another with the alarm wired into where it would be as simple as you plugging a phone cord from one jack to the other to reactivate the alarm, or on the other hand if youve gone a few days without losing service once they've bypassed the alarm, you're going to have to call the alarm company anyways and have them come service the system anyways and they can reconnect it then...

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
Thanks for the information...it's greatly appreciated.

hogtownhog

join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON
reply to benoitgphoto
So.

Because you're an FTTH customer, the alarm is not causing your internet and TV issues. Nor is it a metallic noise issue. Also, since you're losing all of your services at once, the problem is most likely one of the following:
1. Low light intensity going in to the ONT
2. Defective ONT (unlikely since replaced already)
3. ONT incorrectly programmed (SLID)

Fixes:
1. Find the lossy fibre fibre segment and replace/repair it
2. Replace ONT
3. Flush SLID from foreign ONT or change splitter for your own service

That being said, tinkering too much with routing and static IP addresses in the modem can wreak havoc on your TV service, so be careful.

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
if the SLID was incorrectly programmed, eh wouldn't have service at all. the WAN light would be orange, and he wouldn't have dialtone.

btech805

Canada
reply to hogtownhog
How is the alarm not an issue since they're ftth? The alarm is still placed on the line and before all inside equipment.

hogtownhog

join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON
reply to benoitgphoto
said by taraf:

if the SLID was incorrectly programmed, eh wouldn't have service at all. the WAN light would be orange, and he wouldn't have dialtone.

A second ONT, on the same splitter, can steal the whole service if it has the same SLID programmed. It's first come, first serve though, so if you're in service you'd have to first go out of service and once you do you won't get it back until the theif in turn goes out of service. A bit far-fetched in this scenario I'll admit.
said by btech805:

How is the alarm not an issue since they're ftth? The alarm is still placed on the line and before all inside equipment.

The modem is connected to the ONT with a patch cord. No dial tone, no POTS-splitter.

btech805

Canada
I know there is no dial tone or pots splitter, the alarm has to still be connected to the ONT in order to send signal to his company unless he also has a cable alarm company which wouldn't make much sense, and the alarm needs to be placed in line before their services. So its either as you say low light coming into the ONT, a grounding issue or their alarm equipment. But he already said the alarm hasn't had a trouble reported so im leaning that way. One way or another the ONT has to be plugged into the alarm to communicate with their company and not everyone has the modem in the basement plugged directly into the ont either. We have no pictures or their set up or an explanation of how its ran. A tech was there today and we'll see what happened...

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC

1 edit
Hi...

After some checks with Bell tech and the alarm company, the alarm system seems to be plugged correctly and working as it should.

Bell tech came and revised what was done so far and the only thing that was not done is to change Fibre Optic cable from the CSP. So he assigned another one to me. He also cleaned up some connectors in the CSP and inside the white box outsine my home. He also checked the drop cable to my home and everything seemed normal on this side.

As of today, the last interruption I had was on tuesday afternoon. Usually, I get at least one per day. Resolution team (level 2) has my case since tuesday night. Afer discussion with the guy over the phone today, he told me that they have done some maintenance and other stuff on the network involving my connection. Not sure what they have done or if it's why I have 't got any signal drops since tuesday. I'm also in contact with someone at Bell throught the Bell Direct forum and that person was suspecting something wrong with the Fibre optic cable. We will see how it goes in the next few days.

I'll report back. Thanks everyone for your input, this is greatly appreciated.
Ben

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to btech805
said by btech805:

On FTTH the ONT has 2 RJ11 ports which is for dial tone only and it has 4 RJ45 ports, only port 1 is active which is connected to the Sagemcom.
--
Opinions expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect those of my employers or any other BCE company or division.

btech805

Canada
I know there's a dedicated port for the sagecom my point being if there alarm had a back feeding short as it could be screwing around with the ont, turns out my guess was wrong though as everything seems to be working now. I jumped to the alarm as he said he was losing all 3 srrvices (including dial tone) but his alarm was never reporting a trouble, and the dial tone for the alarm and her phones would be coming from the rj11 ports. Since the alarm wasnt losing contact I figured it wasn't the light, the connections or the ONT and the last culprit would be customer's equipment back feeding and screwing up the ONT for their other services.

Glad it seems to be sorted out though

benoitgphoto

Saint-Jerome, QC
reply to benoitgphoto
Update...Connection is rock solid for 7 days now (even though tech came home on last friday). I'll update in a few days.