Search similar:

uniqs
Lars625
join:2013-08-14
Lincoln, NE

1 edit

Lars625

[Internet] Advice on Modem Purchase for Extreme Package (Lincoln

I am getting ready to move to Lincoln and will be using TWC and their 30MBs (Extreme) service. I've looked over the list of "approved" modems and been reading reviews, to be honest I might as well be reading movie reviews as the signal to noise ratio on these reviews are ridiculous. I would love a simple objective way to make a selection. So I'll try and take some of the variables out of the equation to make that easier.

I will not have TV or Phone, solely Internet.
This will be available to the tech at install.
Price point is not my main concern.
I am NOT tech savvy so I am depending a little on the responses where Channels and such are concerned.
It will ultimately be hooked to a Wireless Router for ALL devices in the house, which will be 3 PCs and a plethora of wireless phones, pads, and pods (family of 6)

So far the standouts in reading forums seem to be:

Motorola SB6141
Zoom 5341J

Any objective help would be much appreciated. If there are criteria I have not mentioned please speak up and I will do my best to address them.
If there are better ones on the TWC list that I have overlooked feel free to note them as well.

Again thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

Re: [Internet] Advice on Modem Purchase for Extreme Package (Lin

Buy sb6141 from newegg and signup for shoprunner trial you will get free 2day ship.
Lars625
join:2013-08-14
Lincoln, NE

Lars625

Also I am seeing that there have been issues with TWC not updating Firmware (or software depending on which review you are reading) on the 6141.
Is this a deal breaker for this? I was originally leaning toward this one but now I'm waffling.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by Lars625:

Also I am seeing that there have been issues with TWC not updating Firmware (or software depending on which review you are reading) on the 6141.
Is this a deal breaker for this? I was originally leaning toward this one but now I'm waffling.

From what I read here on forums people have been getting updates you should find it somewhere here in TWC section.
Weaselboy
Premium Member
join:2003-08-02

Weaselboy to Lars625

Premium Member

to Lars625
said by Lars625:

I use my own SB6141 with TWC and they recently updated the firmware to a newer version than what it shipped with.

Now on version SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH
jh2010
join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY

jh2010 to Lars625

to Lars625
I have used an SB6141 for over a year on the 30/5 plan, in NYC, with no issues.

Changing to FIOS at the end of the month(because I couldn't get it in my old location. Available in new location). Triple play with our own TIVOs saves a bundle on TWC + Verizon POTS line.

J

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria to patt2k

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

Buy sb6141 from newegg and signup for shoprunner trial you will get free 2day ship.

TW'ers $71.00 a year for the rental. NewEgg/Amazon price of around $80 ---- means ROI is right at 14 months. Makes this pretty much = a no brainer

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to Lars625

Premium Member

to Lars625
I always recommended the 6141, however, what is with all the open box/brown/white box deals for them lately?

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to Lars625

Premium Member

to Lars625
A relative of mine uses a SB6180 D3 modem.. with TWC / Earthlink.
It works without any problems, it is not on the approved list but also costs less $$. - About $50 on amazon. Save about $30+ vs buying a SB6141. Just tell TWC you are using the SB6141 and they will activate it. It does 8 channel bonding.