uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

1 edit

Lubuntu 13.04 Flash Player

For the life of me, I cannot get flash working on this newly installed Lubuntu computer. I've installed lubuntu-restricted-extras: Browser freezes, or crashed when it encounters flash. I used Synaptic to remove, and reinstall flash. Now the Firefox doesn't freeze or crash, but video still doesn't play. Chromium has a message "Could not load Shockwave Fla..." Then I get a browser crash message.

I though it might be due to my other video issue, but I think I have that resolved.

»Lubuntu 13.04 Proprietary drivers

It shows installed, how do i go about troubleshooting the browser plugin.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

I removed Firefox, and Chromium. I then installed Google Chrome. I get the same messages on Chrome. Flash does not work. I don't understand what's going on here. Isn't flash supposed to be baked into Chrome?
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

piper
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY
reply to Rexter

All I do is add

contrib non-free

to sources then

apt-get update && apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

to keep it up to date do

update-flashplugin-nonfree -iv

--
debian sid | apt-get into it
proudly anti-micro$oft using aptosid / siduction

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

wouldn't simply sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras do the trick?

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

said by Rexter:

wouldn't simply sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras do the trick?

Yeah, that one has always worked for me in Ubuntu.. should work also in the other ones as far as I know.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

So being that it doesn't work in this case. how do I go about troubleshooting?

piper
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Buffalo, NY

Isn't ubuntu "supposed" to be "based" on debian ?

My post above works on everything "debian" or debian based, unless ubuntu doesn't get updates or dist-upgrades from debian sources or doesn't sync with debian at all. sad

Maybe try the ubuntu forums, good luck

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

said by piper:

Isn't ubuntu "supposed" to be "based" on debian ?

It is. The flashplugin-nonfree works 99% of the time. It works on every machine I have running Ubuntu (which is something short of 30.)

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

So being that it doesn't work in this case. how do I go about troubleshooting?

I would uninstall flash throught ap-get and try a manual install. »www.upubuntu.com/2012/06/how-to-···lly.html

Edit: You should be able to download flash from »fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fl···4.tar.gz or »get.adobe.com/flashplayer/comple···)_64-bit

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Maxo

Yea, I've never had so much trouble with it either. It doesn't give me anything to go off of it's installed, but the browsers are not seeing it.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Maxo

I'll try it, and report back.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Maxo

Manual install causes Firefox to crash as well. Would the crash data be helpful?

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

said by Rexter:

Manual install causes Firefox to crash as well. Would the crash data be helpful?

It is worth posting.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

I'm taking a break from this. I'm installing Linux Mint 13 XFCE. My understanding is flash is installed be default. We'll see if it works.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Maxo

OK, just not getting anywhere! Linux Mint would not install, The install window would disappear during the slide show, the cursor would show the spiny wheel forever. Xubuntu 12.04 installed, but flash doesn't work there either. If you go to a page that uses flash, Firefox doesn't actually crash, but you get a crash notice in the task bar saying Firefox crashed. How do you get to the crash DATA details in a log somewhere? I can't copy/past the date in the window.
--

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Rexter

Doesn't Chrome have flash built in? I'll try installing Google Chrome.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

said by Rexter:

Doesn't Chrome have flash built in? I'll try installing Google Chrome.

Yes.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

How do you get to the crash DATA details in a log somewhere? I can't copy/past the date in the window.

I'm not sure.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to Maxo

Chrome presents a message, "Could not load flash plugin." Flash must be conflicting with a driver some how.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

said by Rexter:

Chrome presents a message, "Could not load flash plugin." Flash must be conflicting with a driver some how.

And now you know why everyone hates flash.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Rexter

Interesting... Flash works in Mint here, even the live cd. If you see the screen blank for a few seconds, and assumed it crashed wait a minute.

fedorauser

@frontiernet.net
reply to Maxo

A brand new install of Fedora was easy to make flash working too. I downloaded the rpm from the adobe website, and that was it.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to BlitzenZeus

Very strange, yes. Mint 13 xfce works as a life CD. Maybe that's where I need to focus my efforts. Perhaps you guys can help me get it installed. During the install process, the install window disapears right about the end, and the mouse cursor turned into the spiny wheel forever. I've left if for more that 5 hours, and it was still spinning. What might be the problem?
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Mint 13? Mint 15 has been out, but it sounds like it found something it didn't like, otherwise the installer was corrupted.
»www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

15 is only supported for 9 months, and can't be upgraded. 13 is LTS. There appears to be a bug in the installer, a lot of people have seen this freezing. the solution involves killing a certian process whenever it hangs. It happened 3 times for me. I was successfull at getting it installed. Flash Player worked perfectly until I did the system updates. Now no flash again. I'm going to try to completely remove foash, and reinstall it. On the adobe site it looks l like you should be able to download an ubuntu version, but the browser askes me to choose an externl application to handel the download. Would I use gdebi for this, and how do I find it?
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

I'll try to see if I can get flash working from a fresh install on 13, but no promises on a timeline as I might have to deal with other issues first.

The apt from the website didn't work for me either as it assumes you use a direct ubuntu distro, I had to install it via apt.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Rexter

sudo dpkg -i flash.deb

Of course, replace flash.deb with whatever the file is named.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

2 edits
reply to Rexter

Click for full size
What I did.... after having to deal with my screen flickering constantly which was excessively annoying.

synaptic
Installed adobe-flashplugin
removed mint-flashplayer-11
I also removed the virtualbox-guest-utils it's not a vm install

Edit: I also have to say with the changes I can't consider it a LTS, they changed how the setting applets are laid out in a central location, and it feels like they don't care about maintaining it, which is kind of sad. I had to dig to find the mouse settings the all applications, and if you expand that back to all settings you see a second system settings panel. It was the same for the display properties, no longer available from the panel other settings.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Ok so I reinstalled the system again. Flash is working but there are 439MB of updates available. Any idea how to sort out what update is going to kill flash?
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

I didn't have that problem on my Mint 15 install, and this 13 is up to date also so I can only guess you won't have problems in the immediate future, but we all know how that goes sometimes.