Ool For Me
Premium Member
join:2002-11-18
Somers, NY

moseby to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69

Re: Multi-Room DVR questions

I also replaced the modem. But I did notice a difference.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to famattjr

Premium Member

to famattjr
An extra 30 bucks or more a month for multiple dvrs. Or just deal with a little lag. Money doesn't grow on trees. Like many have stated about not being able to rewind live tv, either pause the show for a few seconds or record it.

famattjr
@optonline.net

famattjr to jrehm

Anon

to jrehm
I would also stay away from Optimum multi room DVR at this time unless you really, really need the extra storage space or the multi room capability. I have the basic and I set up a friend's multi room so I can compare. You cannot rewind live programming, which is really a deal breaker for me. Also the system has a bad time lag for controls inputted from the remote, even channel changes take a few seconds, I thought the batteries were dead in the remote at first. Just not worth it, you'd be better off with multiple regular DVRs in your home.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Gess

to Gess
You are aware that It's Always Sunny is now on FXX ch 142?
It works fine on my Multi-room DVR

Gess
@optonline.net

Gess to limegrass69

Anon

to limegrass69
If you need to rewind you can always get a regular dvr box and keep your dvr plus. I believe they have a deal for new customers where they give out dvr box and multi room dvr now. I didnt think i would like it but it seems to work descent.

For some reason it wont record series its always sunny in philly
though.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to moseby

to moseby
Internet speed has no impact on the DVR service (other than if you have signal problems it could impact both your Internet and DVR services).

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to moseby

Premium Member

to moseby
I have ultra 101. Is still the same speed lol.

moseby
Ool For Me
Premium Member
join:2002-11-18
Somers, NY

moseby to MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

to MuDvAyNe
I notice that my dvr plus speed increased when I upgraded my internet speed to ultra50, could be wrong!!!

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
DVR plus picture quality on recordings is really good. Yes it is sluggish to respond but they are going to fix it I have been told...

FIOS picture quality on SD channels blows away Cablevision though. I've seen SD channels on FIOS and they look a lot better than the same channels on Cablevision.

Not that I watch them a lot but one example is FOX Movie Channel. It's horrendous and Cablevision really should add the HD feed ASAP!

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium Member
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A

actor90 to brn2rn2

Premium Member

to brn2rn2
Right now some programs look highly compressed and pixelated. Fast forwarding is a chore at this point. I think with time, things will improve, like the picture quality of the Multi-Room DVR programs and the responsiveness of the commands like fast forward.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to limegrass69

MVM

to limegrass69
No idea. I doubt that it would be a problem to order one, since I suspect ti would not be a complicated upgrade but it certainly would add to the cost. Remember there was no box with downloadable security before CV asked for one. Of course since that eliminated the need to have a cablecard module in the box, it was actually a cheaper design.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
Does a box with a RAM buffer exist?
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

2 edits

TheWiseGuy to frdrizzt

MVM

to frdrizzt
With the network DVR they would be Buffering the material on their premises, which would actually be them making a copy. While they do buffer it now, one of the things the court opinion discussed thoroughly was the amount of time any particular bit remained in the buffer and the court ruled that the buffer time was so short it was not considered making a copy.

They concluded
said by decision :

Given that the data reside in no buffer for more than 1.2 seconds before being automatically overwritten, and in the absence of compelling arguments to the contrary, we believe that the copyrighted works here are not “embodied” in the buffers for a period of more than transitory duration, and are therefore not “fixed” in the buffers.

So if they were to Buffer it or send it to the hard drive for any length of time before you told them to record,(their argument was you are doing the recording on their premises), they would be making the copy.

dm145 See Profile's point that a box in the home with enough RAM could buffer the material is, at a guess and I am not a lawyer, a legitimate one. The problem is that CV went with the network DVR for several reasons, one being that you could use it on all the boxes you already had and not need a new box, also that it would cost less without specialized equipment and they did not have to have a service call to install the new box. So while his suggestion probably would be OK from a legal perspective since the equipment would be in your home, it likely does not make a lot of sense from a financial perspective at this point. At some point if they were able to get boxes with the memory capacity at a price point they could accept and they were in wide spread usage, they probably would be able to allow you to rewind live TV.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to frdrizzt

to frdrizzt
They wanted to make it harder for Cablevision to implement dvr+ by requiring a one to one recording instead of using a master recording.

The buffer thing really has nothing to do with that
Forgetting about rewinding live tv, having a physical buffer on our end to provide a better service would have been nice.

I see of no other way to fix the lag
The engineer I spoke to a while back said they were working on algorithms to improve fast forwarding and resuming play
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
I believe the difference is that you are recording something in your own house and possess the recording, while with multi-room DVR Cablevision is recording it for you and possesses the recording. I don't know what makes that an important legal distinction, but I like other here recall reading that about how they won their case.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to RemyM

to RemyM
Please explain why it is not a legal issue on my sa8300?
I have a one hour buffer without requesting it?
And with FIOS you can flip back and forth between two channels and keep said buffer?
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM to dm145

to dm145
The buffer is legal issue with DVR+ because they would be recording something for you without you specifically requesting it which was the whole legal issue with the remote storage.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to dm145

MVM

to dm145
They still have millions of SA non DVR boxes deployed. So while they could buy more expensive boxes, it would get very expensive if a lot of people have the network DVR and needed to upgrade to the new box.

Given the hardware they have in the field, the only way to do it would violate copyright law.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

1 recommendation

dm145 to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
Samsung boxes have no disk drives or enough ram to buffer live tv
I don't think it is a legal issue since the SA boxes can rewind live tv up to an hour

I think cablevision should have deployed non dvr boxes with at least enough memory to handle 15 minutes of HD programming in a buffer
(Or enable USB port for flash drives to act as buffer)

This way we could rewind live tv a little and when viewing recorded shows having a buffer would eliminate most of the command lag

That would be a good compromise in my book

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to GeorgeBaily

Premium Member

to GeorgeBaily
The only problem I have with dvr plus is that the commands are a little slow like others have stated. I am sure in due time that will be fixed. Rewinding live tv like others have stated can just be done by pausing for a few seconds and resuming the program which is not that hard to do. The legal issue with rewinding live tv is true. I enjoy being able to record up to 10 programs at a time and still being able to watch a show. With a family of 4 it helps and also saves a lot of money compared to each person having a dvr box.

GeorgeBaily
@optonline.net

GeorgeBaily to jrehm

Anon

to jrehm
said by jrehm:

I'm sure there are some Optimum lemmings that will speak of how great it is and how great it works for them, but don't believe them

My household has had Mulit Room DVR service for about a year and have no complaints. We even upgraded the storage space a couple of months ago so the whole family's is happy. Wife, two kids, and I get to record what we want without any conflicts.

If there was anything wrong to report I'm not the guy who would hold back given my negative postings about the new channel guide.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to milan22

to milan22
Yeah, sounds like he has churners remorse
He could have done a little research first before switching

I have family members with FIOS and can state:
I see no difference in PQ
My internet tier is twice as fast for less money
Since 8/2 channel bonding was implemented I see no slow downs

Yes no live tv rewinding on samsung boxes but that is disclosed
Pressing pause is a viable work around for some

And the response time of Dvr+ commands have a lot of room for improvement
milan22
join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ

milan22 to jrehm

to jrehm
said by jrehm:

Unless you absolutely have a need to watch the same recorded program in another room or absolutely need to record more than a couple of programs at once on the same DVR stay away from Optimum's multi-room (DVR+). IT BLOWS!!!!

I'm sure there are some Optimum lemmings that will speak of how great it is and how great it works for them, but don't believe them. I complain quite often to Optimum about problems I'm having and they tell me that my complaints are common complaints that they are "working to resolve" with the system.

I was also told by the sales guy (should have known better than to believe his crap) that the package I was getting would give me the same thing I had with FiOS. NOT TRUE! In fact, pretty much nothing he told me was true with the exception that my bill would be less than FiOS. Well, that part was true, but once I found out what I had to do to truly get the same package as FiOS it's going to cost me the same, maybe slightly more for Optimum.

Sales guy told me that Optimum bandwidth is no longer shared. Yea, right. Told me the picture quality was as good as FiOS. Yea, right. Told me a lot of things. And, of course he was no where to be found after the install. Was more than eager to call back and respond to my emails before the Optimum truck left my driveway.

It's really a shame that Optimum didn't do better with DVR+ because it's a great idea that has been poorly implemented. I don't mind a system that has flaws that are being worked out as long as I'm not paying the same as I would for a system that has far fewer flaws.

Oh, and don't forget that you can't rewind live programming with DVR+, which is one of the biggest problems of all. I've heard there is a legal reason behind it. Yea, whatever.

6 Paragraphs and not once did you mention the specific problems that you are currently having with the DVR Plus service. So before you call people lemmings, why not try and list all your problems with DVR Plus and see if they are the same problems others are having too. I'm sure someone here could help out.

BTW had the service for about 3 months now. And except for a couple of very small hiccups, I've extremely happy with the service. What a treat to be able to record all the September TV show (premiers) never do I have to worry about recording more than 2 programs at once. Example this last Sunday I was recording 6 shows (while watching NFL)

JDolan
@optonline.net

-1 recommendation

JDolan to jrehm

Anon

to jrehm
I love Multi-Room Dvr and would recommend it
You sound a little bitter and your review lack credibility

PQ equal FIOS
OOL equal FIOS

Why did you switch from FiOS in the first place, to save a few buck?
To join the churning nation that hurts loyal customers?

Simply switch back to FIOS
jrehm
join:2002-04-28
Wappingers Falls, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

jrehm to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
Unless you absolutely have a need to watch the same recorded program in another room or absolutely need to record more than a couple of programs at once on the same DVR stay away from Optimum's multi-room (DVR+). IT BLOWS!!!!

I'm sure there are some Optimum lemmings that will speak of how great it is and how great it works for them, but don't believe them. I complain quite often to Optimum about problems I'm having and they tell me that my complaints are common complaints that they are "working to resolve" with the system.

I was also told by the sales guy (should have known better than to believe his crap) that the package I was getting would give me the same thing I had with FiOS. NOT TRUE! In fact, pretty much nothing he told me was true with the exception that my bill would be less than FiOS. Well, that part was true, but once I found out what I had to do to truly get the same package as FiOS it's going to cost me the same, maybe slightly more for Optimum.

Sales guy told me that Optimum bandwidth is no longer shared. Yea, right. Told me the picture quality was as good as FiOS. Yea, right. Told me a lot of things. And, of course he was no where to be found after the install. Was more than eager to call back and respond to my emails before the Optimum truck left my driveway.

It's really a shame that Optimum didn't do better with DVR+ because it's a great idea that has been poorly implemented. I don't mind a system that has flaws that are being worked out as long as I'm not paying the same as I would for a system that has far fewer flaws.

Oh, and don't forget that you can't rewind live programming with DVR+, which is one of the biggest problems of all. I've heard there is a legal reason behind it. Yea, whatever.
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22 to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
That's really good news. Probably one the best (not thought about) features in DVR Plus.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to milan22

MVM

to milan22
Unless the generators at the head end go out, they will still record if the power goes out.
milan22
Newark, NJ

milan22 to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
DVR Plus question:

After setting up some programs to be recorded (dvr plus/whole house) if say the power goes out at those times, will the programs still be recorded (at Cablevision/cloud)?

I ask this because I figure maybe they still need to read the signal off of your settop box.

Does anybody know the answer for sure? Has anybody 1st hand experience in power outage situations, where ALL programs were still recorded.

One of the reasons I ask this is because we are coming up on that time when NJ runs into freak weather situations & was just curious if the power went out for a couple of days, this feature would be quite beneficial. Provided of course, if power was not out at Cablevision's main headquarters.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
Yes, you can use either channel but make sure you select HD rooms. If you select SD rooms then it will always record in SD no matter what channel you select.
dm145
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to brn2rn2

to brn2rn2
Yes