how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Muni Fiber is Bad

Just like Time Warner/Comcast/Verizon/Frontier ALL other ISPs keep saying.

100/100 for $35 a month...

MURICA

join:2013-01-03

It IS bad.

XMission has bandwidth caps.

I would take Time Warner/Verizon/Frontier's slower, corporate greed trash over capped muni fiber any day. What the hell is the point of fiber with a cap?

Time Warner's 30/5 Mbps tier allows you to transfer over 10 terabytes of data in one month, assuming you keep it saturated the entire time. That is ten times the amount of data transfer that XMission allows on their fiber plans.

Pretty sad when a 30 Mbps connection allows you to do more than a 100 Mbps connection.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

Don't forget the $25 delivery fee and who knows what other taxes and fees. Oh that's right, they pay no tax, "Time Warner/Comcast/Verizon/Frontier " would take that deal.

I found uncapped broadband; don't forget the $25 delivery fee.
quote:
How much does Business UTOPIA cost?

Packages start as low as $149.99/month for 20/20Mbps. However, prices and package availability vary, so please contact our sales team for an estimate.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to MURICA

Well you're talking a 1 terabyte cap.

CenturyLink, their biggest telco competitors, now caps 1.5 Mbps DSL users at 150 GB:

»CenturyLink Confirms Usage Caps

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless
reply to batterup

Well...
Even with a $60 a month price and 1tb data cap... It's a far better connection than most of the county has available.

Where I live 5megs up is the BEST you can buy for residential.

20/20 is business class and way more than $150 a month here.

jasondean

join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY
reply to MURICA

I'm sure TWC/FiOS, etc. would either charge you or throttle your service if you hit 1 TB/month. It sounds more like you're running a business on a consumer grade service.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to MURICA

Have you ever maxed out the upload of a connection for more than a few seconds? It sucks. QoS goes away.

I'll take 1TB 100 Mbps symmetric service for $60 all-in over 30/5 uncapped at the same price. Let alone the 50/5 connection I'm on now, for $36 more.

Sure, there are 0.05% of customers who would actually benefit from no cap on a slower connection in this case. But I've NEVER exceeded 800GB on my connection, and that includes a 50/15 line where I was doing all manner of things.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
reply to buzz_4_20

Now that we are a side track; I just found out that Google paid one dollar for Provo Utah's tax payer funded, still stuck with the debt, fiber plant.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to buzz_4_20

Same here.

Heck, you'd have to have Grande, AT&T or TWC run you fiber at $XXXX per month (okay, maybe high $XXX) to get that. No thanks.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to batterup

Well good for them. I hope they make good use of it and cause the other long standing providers there that were dragging their feet much pain.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
reply to MURICA

said by MURICA:

It IS bad.

Time Warner's 30/5 Mbps tier allows you to transfer over 10 terabytes of data in one month, assuming you keep it saturated the entire time.

That is exactly what some in here call 'abuse'. Just because they tell you it is 30/5 doesn't mean you really get to use it like that.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Well good for them. I hope they make good use of it and cause the other long standing providers there that were dragging their feet much pain.

Google has no intention of being a fiber network; they are doing marketing research and Provo tax payers are funding it.

JasonOD

@comcast.net

Don't forget commercial cable/telecom borrow money from banks (not taxpayers), and add money to local economies via franchise fees. You lose that with muni builds and they become a net drain on the taxpayer and local economy.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Don't forget Commercial Cable/Telcom got about $1-trillion in tax credits, grants, and interest free loans from tax payers between 1995 and 2005.

But that was only the big players, not your local ISP.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
reply to batterup

Google also stated that they're going to make a business out of this. Ohh, wait, that's the complete opposite of what you said. You may want to check your facts.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

Don't forget commercial cable/telecom borrow money from banks (not taxpayers), and add money to local economies via franchise fees. You lose that with muni builds and they become a net drain on the taxpayer and local economy.

That is such a ridiculous stretch in logic I'm amazed you didn't pull a muscle.

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC
reply to JasonOD

Cable/Telecom companies will either issue bonds (just like a municipality would for such a project) or various stock transactions. rarely do they go to a bank for a conventional loan and certainly not the local credit union.

Franchise fees? How much total do you think they are adding to a local economy? And do you realize that it is the consumer that ends up paying them?

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

1 recommendation

reply to MURICA

said by MURICA:

It IS bad.

XMission has bandwidth caps.

I would take Time Warner/Verizon/Frontier's slower, corporate greed trash over capped muni fiber any day. What the hell is the point of fiber with a cap?

Time Warner's 30/5 Mbps tier allows you to transfer over 10 terabytes of data in one month, assuming you keep it saturated the entire time. That is ten times the amount of data transfer that XMission allows on their fiber plans.

Pretty sad when a 30 Mbps connection allows you to do more than a 100 Mbps connection.

Um yeah... I'll take 30/5 for $100 vs 100/100 for $35 because they have a cap that's very reasonable.
--

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC
reply to CXM_Splicer

Actually, you can and I do.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
reply to Bengie25

said by Bengie25:

Google also stated that they're going to make a business out of this. Ohh, wait, that's the complete opposite of what you said. You may want to check your facts.

Now that is funny; facts. Google can and will walk away from both projects, it is in their contract. This is great, tax payers paying Google to gather marketing information for the exclusive use of Google. Google is the master leech, not a builder/doer.

This is so fantastic I'm going to pop some pop corn.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
Netcong, NJ
reply to CXM_Splicer

said by CXM_Splicer:

Franchise fees? How much total do you think they are adding to a local economy? And do you realize that it is the consumer that ends up paying them?

Google charged Provo Utah a $39,000,000.00 revers franchise fee. If I lived in Provo I would be heating tar and gathering feathers.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

CenturyLink, their biggest telco competitors, now caps 1.5 Mbps DSL users at 150 GB:

Pathetically slow and an extreme slap to the face with that ridiculous cap.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Have you ever maxed out the upload of a connection for more than a few seconds? It sucks. QoS goes away.

You don't have your router setup properly.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to batterup

If I lived there I would be fine with that. It'll result in cheaper and better service. So they can tar and feather the incumbent carriers for their overpriced crappy service.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to batterup

*pops corn* what more nonsense are you going to spew?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to JasonOD

I'd say the amount they charge for service is a much bigger drain.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to 34764170

He can't help it, he's from the old AT&T days

somms

join:2003-07-28
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to bobjohnson

BTW: I have XMission as my FTTH provider and have been breaking this soft 1TB cap fairly regularly for the past couple of months...

Now I can look forward to getting a nice $10 price reduction next month as well since I've been paying $45/month for 100Mb/s service when I got the fiber installed...

Also, this ISP is interested in actually shielding customers from warrantless authorities: »arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···privacy/

Yeah, I'm not interested in leaving these guys for another provider anytime soon!

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC
reply to JimMcCoy

Well don't say that too loudly or the 'connection police' will lecture you about how you are ruining it for everyone else by actually using the connection you pay for.

Personally, I am all for being allowed to use your connection to the fullest potential. Unfortunately, there are providers who will throttle you if you try.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

plus the $25 infrastructure costs so its $60/mo, not $35.
--
Despises any post with strings.