Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to MURICA

Re: Muni Fiber is Bad

Have you ever maxed out the upload of a connection for more than a few seconds? It sucks. QoS goes away.

I'll take 1TB 100 Mbps symmetric service for $60 all-in over 30/5 uncapped at the same price. Let alone the 50/5 connection I'm on now, for $36 more.

Sure, there are 0.05% of customers who would actually benefit from no cap on a slower connection in this case. But I've NEVER exceeded 800GB on my connection, and that includes a 50/15 line where I was doing all manner of things.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by iansltx:

Have you ever maxed out the upload of a connection for more than a few seconds? It sucks. QoS goes away.

You don't have your router setup properly.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
Well, yes. I would set up a rule that disallows me from getting my full bandwidth to keep my connection running stably. But then I wouldn't be getting my full bandwidth.

Still might do that though. Though the amount of upload bandwidth available to me is variable to the point that I might be sactificing a bit too much by doing that.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by iansltx:

Well, yes. I would set up a rule that disallows me from getting my full bandwidth to keep my connection running stably. But then I wouldn't be getting my full bandwidth.

Still might do that though. Though the amount of upload bandwidth available to me is variable to the point that I might be sactificing a bit too much by doing that.

Unfortunately with how poorly designed cable/DSL infrastructure is for the situation where the upstream is congested you have a choice of that last little bit of upstream capacity or atrociously bad latency. There has been discussion of integrating better buffer management techniques into the network as in CPE and CMTS / DSLAM to alleviate these issues with buffer bloat and the resulting latency problems, but if anything that is quite a ways out if it is implemented so the only option you have at the moment is dealing with it at your router.