Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shavkaca

join:2012-06-24

1 recommendation

[Info] RVS4000

Hi,

I just purchased Cisco (Linksys) RVS4000.
Apparently they come in two versions, V1 and V2.
I got a V1.

first question: Does anyone know differences between these versions? (the only difference I could find online was in hardware, I am more interested if there is difference in WAN to LAN throughput)

Second queston: I have a 60mbps cable internet. I knew that the RVS4000 would trim throughput, but then I found on one of the forums that the latest firmware gets up to 50mbps WAN to LAN when firewall and IPS are switched off.
I switched them off, but still can't go over 22-23mbps. Any workaround?

Third question: can anyone recommend similar type of router, which has the following: IPV6, VPN (not passtrhough), gigabit ports, roughly 100mbps WAN to LAN throughput, and LAN/WAN ports in rear? (I looked at Cisco RV180 but it has too many complaints and problems. Netgear FVS336 sseems to be good as well, but the ports are in front)

Thanks

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
First off, this is probably better asked in the Linksys or Networking forums.

2ndly

said by shavkaca:

first question: Does anyone know differences between these versions?

Generally speaking, minimal to none. HW bug fixes, or cheaper maufacturing methodology is the main drivers
for a version revision.

said by shavkaca:

I switched them off, but still can't go over 22-23mbps. Any workaround?

Are you using a consistent methodology to test throughput? Speedtests are generally okay, but not great.
My preferred method is a program called IPERF, and taking your internet ENTIRELY out of the equation.

said by shavkaca:

can anyone recommend similar type of router, which has the following: IPV6, VPN (not passtrhough), gigabit ports, roughly 100mbps WAN to LAN throughput, and LAN/WAN ports in rear?

www.smallnetbuilder.com

Ubiquti Edgemax

IIRC, the netgear FVS336 is somewhat long in tooth... Netgear's own page about Lifetime Warranty mentions devices
purchased after 2007.

Regards

shavkaca

Thanks for info
I tried Iperf (for Windows, in command prompt) and results are more or less the same.
basically this router (FVS4000) does not seem to go over 23mbps.

Edgemax seems to be interesting, although their website does not say anything about VPN & IPV6; but good speed for the price.

I did a thorough research on smallnetbuilder and RV180 seems to be best choice... although other reviews report lots of problems with this router.

So RVS4000 V2 probably would not be any better in regards with WAN to LAN speed?

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to shavkaca
said by shavkaca:

and results are more or less the same. basically this router (FVS4000) does not seem to go over 23mbps.

Even after a factory reset to default settings? And you know your testing devices can go over 23Mbps?
Then yes, sounds like it...

said by shavkaca:

Edgemax seems to be interesting, although their website does not say anything about VPN & IPV6; but good speed for the price.

Does this answer your questions about both features?

said by shavkaca:

although other reviews report lots of problems with this router.

Where are said reviews? As another forum member mentioned to me once before, some reviews aren't worth a pile of owl dung...
If you're that concerned, get a unit from a shop with a 30day return policy, take it home and test it out. If it works,
great. If it doesn't, get your money back and try something else.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

shavkaca

RVS4000 are not sold in shops any more will try to find RV180 and test...
I might actually go with EdgeMaxx... just read Wiki and specs look interesting.

Thanks

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to shavkaca
smallnetbuilder has a fairly decent writeup about the Edgemax if you want to get a sense of what it can do.

Also I know several other forum members that have picked up one for themselves.

VERY decent kit for the price.

Regards

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to shavkaca
I have 2 RV180's deployed. VPN/SSL features don't seem to work worth a sh** but I was getting around 800Mbs throughput on a Gigabit internet connection with basic firewall features switched on.
If you need to use VPN of any flavour though, I would avoid the RV180 for the moment.
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

shavkaca

reply to HELLFIRE
Thanks for replies.
I will try Edgemax in this case, seems to be best option for my needs.
Regards

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to shavkaca
I own 2 of them... V1
Overall, nice units

IF V2 units exist, they came out on next to last firmware update...

I, too did have to turn off some security settings in order to get full bandwidth when Comcast gave out the free bandwidth upgrades...

I forgot the bandwidth I was limited to, but I did post here what it was limited to, and what setting I turned off to get the speed upgrade...

Even with the speed limitations, I plan on running these until they no longer work, as the do what I request of them,and still work correctly... (And I got them on the cheap off EBAY years ago, from someone who was overwhelmed by them.)
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

shavkaca

Could you direct me to your post on which setting you turned off to get maximum possible bandwidth and also what is maximum speed you are getting with these?

Thanks

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
reply to shavkaca
»[Wired] IPS use on RVS4000....
--

shavkaca

Thanks!

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
reply to markysharkey
Going to bring this back to the top with some new info...
I got my RV180 to accept a PPTP connection after *months* of having a go at it off and on. Turns out if you have a 64 bit operating system, it doesn't work. Use a 32 bit O/S and it works 100% perfectly.
What a ridiculous and annoying flaw in a device that's "new" to the market.
--
Binary is as easy as 01 10 11

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to shavkaca
Click for full size
2 of the 3 computers here are 64 bit systems.... One is 32 bit...

all 3 get ~28Dn 6Up through 2 RVS4000's in series.... One at 10... one at 192... .

I'm not a barnburner by any extent.... but I'm still getting this going through 2 RVS4000's.... (And a wireless interface to 192...)
--