Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Re: Muni Fiber is Bad

said by Skippy25:

Well good for them. I hope they make good use of it and cause the other long standing providers there that were dragging their feet much pain.

Google has no intention of being a fiber network; they are doing marketing research and Provo tax payers are funding it.

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD

Anon

Don't forget commercial cable/telecom borrow money from banks (not taxpayers), and add money to local economies via franchise fees. You lose that with muni builds and they become a net drain on the taxpayer and local economy.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

Don't forget Commercial Cable/Telcom got about $1-trillion in tax credits, grants, and interest free loans from tax payers between 1995 and 2005.

But that was only the big players, not your local ISP.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to batterup

to batterup
Google also stated that they're going to make a business out of this. Ohh, wait, that's the complete opposite of what you said. You may want to check your facts.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to JasonOD

to JasonOD
said by JasonOD :

Don't forget commercial cable/telecom borrow money from banks (not taxpayers), and add money to local economies via franchise fees. You lose that with muni builds and they become a net drain on the taxpayer and local economy.

That is such a ridiculous stretch in logic I'm amazed you didn't pull a muscle.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to JasonOD

Premium Member

to JasonOD
Cable/Telecom companies will either issue bonds (just like a municipality would for such a project) or various stock transactions. rarely do they go to a bank for a conventional loan and certainly not the local credit union.

Franchise fees? How much total do you think they are adding to a local economy? And do you realize that it is the consumer that ends up paying them?

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to Bengie25

Premium Member

to Bengie25
said by Bengie25:

Google also stated that they're going to make a business out of this. Ohh, wait, that's the complete opposite of what you said. You may want to check your facts.

Now that is funny; facts. Google can and will walk away from both projects, it is in their contract. This is great, tax payers paying Google to gather marketing information for the exclusive use of Google. Google is the master leech, not a builder/doer.

This is so fantastic I'm going to pop some pop corn.
batterup

batterup to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

Franchise fees? How much total do you think they are adding to a local economy? And do you realize that it is the consumer that ends up paying them?

Google charged Provo Utah a $39,000,000.00 revers franchise fee. If I lived in Provo I would be heating tar and gathering feathers.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

If I lived there I would be fine with that. It'll result in cheaper and better service. So they can tar and feather the incumbent carriers for their overpriced crappy service.

34764170 (banned) to batterup

to batterup
*pops corn* what more nonsense are you going to spew?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to JasonOD

Premium Member

to JasonOD
I'd say the amount they charge for service is a much bigger drain.
KrK

KrK to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
He can't help it, he's from the old AT&T days
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to batterup

to batterup
Provo was losing $1mil/year, Handing over the network for $1 is saving them money.