All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tiger_scout
join:2010-02-20

tiger_scout

Xbox One Microsoft reversals

So apparently you will have the option to dis-kinect the spy camera. This is good but I wish they would make it an accessory and drop the price.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

said by tiger_scout:

So apparently you will have the option to dis-kinect the spy camera. This is good but I wish they would make it an accessory and drop the price.

According to a few sources, the Kinect 2.0 costs Microsoft more to make than the X1 itself. To take it out now would cost them far more (in repackaging and stuff), and you can bet your ass nobody would buy it then.

At the least the system asks you to turn it on IF you play a game that would require it.

I believe this was done to account for the possibility of something happening to the Kinect itself while the rest of the system might be intact, so that at least it can remain usable otherwise. Unlike the WiiU where it practically does require the tablet that comes with it.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm to tiger_scout

to tiger_scout
It's coming bundled. Get over it.

Pollux7777
join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Pollux7777

said by Grimm:

It's coming bundled. Get over it.

Or simply don't buy it. That's what I'm doing. Vote with your wallet. $ talks.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm

Exactly. But people need to stop bitching the exact.same.shit. over and over.

I'll be voting with my wallet as well when I pick up my X1, accessories, and games.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to tiger_scout

Premium Member

to tiger_scout
I'm getting a PS4. But I think the tech behind the Kinect is really awesome. I wouldn't mind having it packaged in if I was getting a box.

One thing that had me thinking since the reveal...being that there will be a flavor of the Windows OS on it, will this now be targeted by virus creators? And if so, common sense says, you'll need AV protection for it, and constant updates to it to keep it protected.
Take with that the usual BSODs that you see with computers, and you got yourself some pretty frustrated gamers.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

The reason most consoles usually take some time to be emulated properly is because they're almost always running custom and/or non-standard hardware platforms.

Even to this day, there is still no fully capable Original Xbox emulator because even the CPU and API's had console-specific shortcuts and instructions that were never brought over to Windows or standard x86 instruction sets.

I would fully expect a similar thing to be happening with the X1 and the PS4, even though they're both running essentially the same CPU and GPU combinations.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

The reason most consoles usually take some time to be emulated properly is because they're almost always running custom and/or non-standard hardware platforms.

Even to this day, there is still no fully capable Original Xbox emulator because even the CPU and API's had console-specific shortcuts and instructions that were never brought over to Windows or standard x86 instruction sets.

I would fully expect a similar thing to be happening with the X1 and the PS4, even though they're both running essentially the same CPU and GPU combinations.

Ok that was totally random.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

The original Xbox ran on a modified Win2000 kernel... and even now, it's still problematic to properly emulate on hardware that is several times more powerful.

Much of DirectX 10 came from the work microsoft was doing for a DirectX-like API for the Xbox 360... while there likely won't be proper emulation of that console for PC for quite a while, at least many of the games were natively ported to PC at the same time.

So with that said, while the new X1 is slated to be running some version of Win8 on its hardware, I doubt it'd be as easy to just install even metro apps on the thing without some kind of recompiling, which virus writers are usually wont to do unless they feel there's a big enough target for it.