spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Fren
join:2013-08-14
Pittsburg, KS

2 edits

Fren

[ALL] I'm having trouble with activating SB6120. HELP ME!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi guys.

I'm having problem with SB6120.

The modem will not activate. I get the cox.com/activate page, but when I click next it says " error occurred blah blah please contact technical support."

So, I called technical support, and they verified correct mac address had been entered, but the modem wasn't responding to their requests. (5 of them =/)

They told me they can't get a signal from the modem. They suggested I try to plug in into other outlet but still nothing happened.

They are going to send a technician out on Friday morning.

Can anyone give me an advise? I don't know what to do and I don't think tech can fix this problem too =P

Oh and I'm sorry about my poor English skills. I just got here for studying English.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

First, the second picture has your Modem's mac, so may want to edit that out. Second, could you give some background on your situation? Is this new service? A service upgrade? A new modem? Is the modem new or 2nd hand?

avillafane
@cox.net

avillafane

Anon

look like your power level is too high it should be 40 or below so you might have a splitter problem or a cable line problem but your 36 db is in the range so that good but getting too much power level so i would have the tech to check your line to see if he can replace it or get a new splitter hope that helps if it not a line problem you could have gotten a bad modem

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

It needs be under 50, not 40.
»Cox HSI Forum FAQ »What should my modem signal levels be?

And I don't think its a signal problem because he is getting the Self Registration page, which he wouldn't get if his modem wasn't online. Its likely a provisioning issue, maybe even caused by a glitch in the Self registration system. I have a feeling it might fix itself over night.
Fren
Pittsburg, KS

Fren to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357
Just edited second picture. Thanks very much.
I just moved in to new apt so this is new service.
Modem is not new. My roommate gave it to me when he moved out.
I asked him about the modem but.. he told me that he didn't have any problem with it.
Fren

Fren to avillafane

to avillafane
Well.. i don't use splitter and if I hook up my old SB5101U, it works great. (im using it right now)
Fren

Fren to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357
so do i have to hook it up before sleep? cuz im using SB5101U right now.

KipAtCox
join:2013-02-18
Chesapeake, VA

KipAtCox to Fren

to Fren
This is probably the second biggest hazard of used modems, aside from just plain bad modems. Provisioning errors.
I found the MAC (before you deleted it ) on a different account, and even though it had been deactivated there, it still takes a little while to expire.
I see the self-activation attempt went through this time, but your modem is going to reset one last time to make a correction to your service code. Since the old modem was DOCSIS 2 and this one is DOCSIS 3, I figure I'll save you a call.
Fren
Pittsburg, KS

Fren

well I solved the problem. My ex roommate called cox and took the modem off from his account. It works now. Thanks guys!

Optimus2357
Premium Member
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to KipAtCox

Premium Member

to KipAtCox
Im the kind of nerd that buys every new model modem and tries it out for fun, then usually gives it to a friend or family member, so I have come all too aware of issues like that. It actually doesn't happen that often I find, but when it does, they tell me it can be a pain to fix. Have to say Kip, you are kicking some serious Forum butt. Really nice to see Cox give this kind of support. Bravo.