how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pbj75

join:2001-09-18
Saint Charles, MO

[CATV] Charter 4 room DVR advertisement

I had Charter in the old house for many years and the service was fine. Moved to a new house, and cable was not available. So, started started with Dish/DSL and am now using Uverse.

Recently got the Charter AD showing 4 room DVR and the ability to record 8 shows. Unfortunately, the actual pricing and capabilities are unclear.

For example, it says "DVR service on up to 4 TV's with he ability to record up to 8 shows at once - only $19.99/mo.** "

Looking at the "**" footnote ( in like 6 pt font ), it says ""**Lease of Charter DVR receiver required for DVR service"

Reading through this forum, I think the $19.99 for 8 show recording is very misleading.

To get that capability, I need to pay the $19.99 plus another $20 for 4 DVR's. I think this also means I am limited on where I can watch my recordings. If I want to watch a recording on any TV, I will need to set it up to record on each of the 4 receivers.

Compare this to Uverse TV. Uverse only has one DVR in the house and the other 3 TV's all have thin and silent client boxes. All 4 TV's can pause live TV and watch any recording. I can readily point out some other limitations with Uverse, but it seems like the whole house approach is much better.

Am I wrong in my understanding of Charter's setup? Or, does Charter have a newer solution that is more like Uverse's?

I would love to have Charter's Internet speeds, but I would like to understand any TV impacts before I jump into the Charter pool.

CoolMan

join:2008-01-07
Tennessee
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Charter
·Suddenlink

said by pbj75:

To get that capability, I need to pay the $19.99 plus another $20 for 4 DVR's. I think this also means I am limited on where I can watch my recordings. If I want to watch a recording on any TV, I will need to set it up to record on each of the 4 receivers.

Am I wrong in my understanding of Charter's setup? Or, does Charter have a newer solution that is more like Uverse's?

You are correct, $19.99 DVR service charge for up to 4 DVRs. Also, its actually $5.99 per mo. per DVR, and yes (unlike U-Verse) you would need to set the program to record on each DVR separate as Charter no longer offers any form of Whole Home DVR service.

So it would be $19.99 DVR service charge + $23.96 (4 HD DVRs) = $43.95 per mo. for only equipment fees...

BTW you can view your Charter local rate card information here »www.charter.com/browse/content/r···ard-info

pbj75

Saint Charles, MO

1 recommendation

reply to pbj75

CoolMan

Great info. Thanks. In spite of those limitations, I am still thinking of switching to Charter because of the Internet.

I will need to do a little spousal preparation for the TV changes.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to CoolMan

said by CoolMan:

So it would be $19.99 DVR service charge + $23.96 (4 HD DVRs) = $43.95 per mo. for only equipment fees...

However you are going to pay that $5.99 fee whether you have a DVR, a HD box or a SD box. So the $5.99 isn't extra since you would already be paying that fee. You'd simply be swapping a SD or HD box for a DVR.

CoolMan

join:2008-01-07
Tennessee
kudos:2

Good point BF69.

pbj75

Saint Charles, MO

3 edits
reply to 88615298

I understand what your are saying, but remember, I don't have ANY Charter equipment right now. All I have is a mailed advertisement.

As a non-Charter user, I am seeing an advertisement that states $29.99 for Charter TV, $29.99 for Internet, $29.99 for phone, and for $19.99 more, I get 4 room DVR and 8 channel record capability.

Total price is $109.96.

What is not stated is there is an additional $23.96 for the required 4 DVRs to provide the advertised capability. Real total price, $133.92.

That being said, I don't think that price is unreasonable, it is just that the $19.99 price includes some rather significant assumptions that are NOT covered elsewhere.

Regardless, appreciate the info. Certainly helps.

Premium
West Tenness

said by pbj75:

I understand what your are saying, but remember, I don't have ANY Charter equipment right now. All I have is a mailed advertisement.

Well right but if you decided against the DVR route now you still have to pay $5.99 per box regardless of which box it was. The only situation were you wouldn't need a box is if you weren't interested in digital/HD channels. The only other situation is if you didn't need 4 boxes but you wanted the 8 show recording capability. I don't have a DVR so I don't have a clue as to what their capabilities are.

Ctech

join:2013-07-27

the triple play package includes one box.

miscposter

@charter.com

No, it does not include one box

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by pbj75:

Well right but if you decided against the DVR route now you still have to pay $5.99 per box regardless of which box it was. The only situation were you wouldn't need a box is if you weren't interested in digital/HD channels. The only other situation is if you didn't need 4 boxes but you wanted the 8 show recording capability. I don't have a DVR so I don't have a clue as to what their capabilities are.

And also like me if you only have one DVR you still pay 19.99 for the service not just 4.99. That is why i returned my DVR when my contract ran out and am saving 19.99 a month.
In the past you could connect a USB HDD to the Cable box and make it a PVR, itseems that feature that most all cable boxes have was removed on these leased boxes.

Its bad enough to be paying 99.99 a month for the gold package and then also shelling out another 44 a month in lease and service f
FEE's just for a box we should be able to own.

That's how me and many more fell.

Premium
West Tenness

Even if you could own a box you would still get charged for the DVR service. This isn't something unique to Charter. Go with DirecTV. Not only will you get charge $6 a box( or more ) and for the DVR service but any after the first DVR you have to pay DirecTV $99 each. And you still don't own the thing. If you could buy a DVR you'd be paying $400 or more for it. So sure after 5 years you'd start to get ahead. Assuming you kept it more than that.

For only 1 DVR the new pricing is more expensive. For 2 boxes it's a wash. For 3 or 4 you save.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to pbj75

Don't forget you can avoid that $44/month in DVR and equipment fees entirely if you bring your own equipment to the party. I pay a whopping $2/month in equipment and DVR fees (cable card) for my 4 room DVR system using Charter service, my own Ceton InfiniTV cable card tuner plus 3 Ceton Echo extenders. Works just as well as my old DirecTV and Dish systems and far, far better than anything Charter offers. Their DVRs are a joke and about 10 years behind satellite DVRs.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Even if you could own a box you would still get charged for the DVR service. This isn't something unique to Charter. Go with DirecTV. Not only will you get charge $6 a box( or more ) and for the DVR service but any after the first DVR you have to pay DirecTV $99 each. And you still don't own the thing. If you could buy a DVR you'd be paying $400 or more for it. So sure after 5 years you'd start to get ahead. Assuming you kept it more than that.

For only 1 DVR the new pricing is more expensive. For 2 boxes it's a wash. For 3 or 4 you save.

That is the problem, why should it cost 20 a month to be able to watch a show when you want. The HDD is in the box and the show is saved in the local box, so where is the service?, it is just a money grab.

As was stated by mdavej, you can setup a PC and it can do it until the industry thinks it should also control that, someday it just might get that bad.

Premium
West Tenness

said by mmainprize:

That is the problem, why should it cost 20 a month to be able to watch a show when you want.

Because it's an extra service. If a there wasn't a DVR charge would I get a DVR since it's the same price as my HD box even though I don't need a DVR? Sure. In fact as a non DVR user I'd be ticked that DVR users are paying the SAME price as me.

Also Charter is not doing something every other pay TV service does. You could go with DirecTV or Dish. Oh wait they charge $20 a month for DVR service too.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by 88615298:

said by mmainprize:

That is the problem, why should it cost 20 a month to be able to watch a show when you want.

Because it's an extra service. If a there wasn't a DVR charge would I get a DVR since it's the same price as my HD box even though I don't need a DVR? Sure. In fact as a non DVR user I'd be ticked that DVR users are paying the SAME price as me.

Also Charter is not doing something every other pay TV service does. You could go with DirecTV or Dish. Oh wait they charge $20 a month for DVR service too.

Fisrt it is not a service, it is a feature of the box. A service would be if they provided 1TB of space some where else for me to save movies to watch later. In this case it is the box that can do this. So if the box has more features why do they not just charge more to lease it. Who gets the 20 dollar DRV service FEE. Charter, Motorola, Movie industry or the guy that invented the DVR feature ?
So it seems what you are saying is that we are paying 5.99 a month for the lease of a 50 dollar HD box or a 400 dollar DVR box. But in the case of the DRV box we are paying a extra 20 FEE for the right to use the DRV feature to be able to save a movie to watch later.

Just because everyone is doing it, don't make it right. I bet the content owners had something to do with that pricing and i would bet they get a cut some how.

Premium
West Tenness

said by mmainprize:

Just because everyone is doing it, don't make it right. I bet the content owners had something to do with that pricing and i would bet they get a cut some how.

We'll contact your congressman and get the government involved in banning DVR service fees. I'm sure that will result in you getting DSVR for a total of $6 a month. Oh wait they'll jack up the cost of the DVRs to $15-$20 a month and make it more expensive for the majority. The option where they get rid of the fee and you still get a DVR for $6 a month doesn't exist.

The content owners would rather DVRs didn't exist at all. Which is dumb thinking on their part. And if content owners are getting cut and that that makes the service more expensive it's because people skip commercials which is a revenue source so I can't say as I blame them for wanting a cut. Too many people feel that the free lunch actually exists. Maybe one day they'll get the fact it doesn't.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

"So it seems what you are saying is that we are paying 5.99 a month for the lease of a 50 dollar HD box or a 400 dollar DVR box. But in the case of the DRV box we are paying a extra 20 FEE for the right to use the DRV feature to be able to save a movie to watch later."

mmainprize we need to buy some converters from you. Today the realistic price is around $300 for a non DVR and $800 for a HDDVR.
The consumer as of today has some options such as TiVO or HomeTheater PC then you would have only a $3 CableCard fee but you lose the Guide and VOD.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state

Slight correction. Cable card is $2, and you don't lose the guide or VOD. Full guide is in Tivo and Windows Media Center (WMC), and you can still order VOD over the phone, just not from your DVR since cable card is only one-way.

Not sure why anyone would actually want to pay $7 for a movie on demand that you can get for $1 at Redbox, but you still have the option. As for the free On Demand stuff, you can get a lot of that online.

Also, the interface on Tivo and WMC is far better than any antiquated Moto DVRs from Charter.

I think HTPC is the way to go if you want to save the most money. Most people probably already have a PC that would work, and it has no subscription fees like Tivo. All you really need is a tuner for $100 or so and an extender for each TV at around $150. The PC doesn't even have to be anywhere near your TV or connected to it at all. Since you'd be saving around $40/month, you'd make up all your initial costs in the first year or so.

See how nice the guide in WMC looks compared to a Charter DVR:
»thedigitalmediazone.com/wp-conte···reen.png

Premium
West Tenness
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

So it seems what you are saying is that we are paying 5.99 a month for the lease of a 50 dollar HD box or a 400 dollar DVR box. But in the case of the DRV box we are paying a extra 20 FEE for the right to use the DRV feature to be able to save a movie to watch later.

I like to know where you get a HD box would cost $50. You can barely even get a OTA ASTC tuner that outputs in SD analog for $50. You'd pay at minimum $250 for a HD box an I'm being generous. And if it stopped working or you simply wanted a new one guess what you're paying another $250. If my HD box stops working I take it to the local office and ask for a new one.

By the way TiVo has a subscription fee.

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

»www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=dcx···0&crdt=0

or

»techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/20···gateway/

Premium
West Tenness

Used doesn't count and you know that. Quit arguing just to argue.