spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

coxuser346

join:2013-08-15

[OK] DPC3010 slow speed, only bonding 3 channels

I am located in Oklahoma City, I am using a DPC3010 with cox ultimate. Lately my speeds have been very slow in the evening. At 8 o'clock this evening speedtest was 0.48mbps down! I just tried again a few minutes ago and it was around 8mbps. Usually after midnight the speeds go back to their normal 50mbps give or take.

My modem is only bonding 3 channels, I don't know if that is normal for this market.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Your upstream shows 52 dB .. You may want to get a tech out to figure out what is causing the problem there.. Your 3 downstream channels seem within specs.

Krak

@cox.net
Before calling a technician out, attempt to do your own due diligence.

Bypass as many splitters as possible - this will usually bring your upstream signal back within specs.

In a perfect world, you'd have a coax run that hooks directly from your modem into the tap outside. Usually this isn't possible, but the second best way would be to have a two-way splitter at the box outside - one leg feeding directly to your cable modem, the other leg feeding to the rest of your outlets (or to the splitter that feeds the rest of your outlets).

See if you can get close to that configuration and post up your levels again at that point.

Best luck!

coxuser346

reply to coxuser346
sorry it took me so long to reply

here are the results without a splitter:

Channel 1: -3.2 dBmV 37.2 dB
Channel 2: -2.6 dBmV 37.8 dB
Channel 3: -2.3 dBmV 37.5 dB
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 49.5 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

speedtest before removing splitter: 24mbps down and 4mbps up and 54mbps/5mbps after removing splitter.

I guess it's safe to assume it was the splitter? The splitter I was using was about 10 years old, would I be able to get a newer splitter without affecting the signal level? I'd hate to lose cable tv in this room.

I won't be totally happy until I do a speedtest tomorrow evening around 8 pm when I get off work. The past few months that has always been the time that the internet would slow to a crawl and get 5mbps or less on speedtest. It would always get decent to fast speeds around this time of night (almost 2am cst)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
make sure when you buy a new splitter its a 5 - 1000mhz model
--
Despises any post with strings.

coxuser346

reply to coxuser346
still having slow speeds in the evening. just did a speedtest and got 6mbps down. Guess I need to call a tech?

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to coxuser346
if the speed issue resolves itself after "peak usage" time ends then it could be an overloaded node or backhaul network connection serving your area.
cox will want to fix your upstream signal problem then you will be in for a fun time getting Cox to realize the other issue.