spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimPhreak

join:2013-04-25
White Plains, NY

Replaced Actiontec now it won't get an IP from new router???

Click for full size
I just replaced my Verizon Actiontec router with a Linksys e4200v1 router running DD-WRT following this guide:

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier)

I got up to Step 7 but my Actiontec will not receive an IP address from my new router and I'm not sure where to go from here. I've attached a screen shot of what the settings page for my Actiontec WAN connection looks like. Any advice or a point in the right direction would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
Make sure you have a good cat5 cable between the Linksys and the Actiontec.

Is the Linksys getting a WAN IP? Some routers won't assign LAN IP addresses until after they obtain a WAN IP address.

Are the LAN subnets of the Linksys and the Actiontec different?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
reply to JimPhreak
You'll probably need to call Verizon to break your DHCP lease so your new router can grab an IP address or wait a few hours until that DHCP lease breaks on its own.

JimPhreak

White Plains, NY
My new router has a WAN IP address and I can surf the internet fine through it. It just won't provide a LAN IP address to the Actiontec.

JimPhreak

White Plains, NY
reply to JimPhreak
Do I need to manually configure the Actiontec so that it gets an IP from my new router (192.168.1.0 network) and also uses it's own network (192.168.2.0 ?) for my STB's?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
You can certainly try that. Without knowing what's causing your problem, it's hard to say if that will work.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

JimPhreak

White Plains, NY
Well my main (new) router is serving up IP's to plenty of other devices with no issues connecting out to the internet. It's just the Actiontec that won't get one. I think I'm going to try reseting the Actiontec to default settings when I get home as I haven't done that yet. Is there a default username/password to login to the Actiontec once it's been set back to default settings?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Resetting the Actiontec will reset the LAN subnet to 192.168.1.x. That's not going to work, if your primary router is also using the 192.168.1.x subnet.

For that reason, I strongly recommend putting the primary router on a subnet other than 192.168.1.x, leaving the Actiontec on 192.168.1.x.

The default password of the Actiontec varies depending on its revision level (which you didn't specify).
It can be the serial number of the router, it may be printed on the label, or it may prompt you to enter a password on first access.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I login to the Verizon router
--

quickr1

@verizon.net
I am having a very similar issue with a Rev I. have an ASUS RT-AC66U that is hooked up directly to the ONT and assigning IPs no problem. The Actiontec rev i has an IP and the internet icon on the Actiontec is showing signal, its just that the signal is not flowing through to the computer hooked up to its LAN.

Wireless and wired internet is working through the ASUS, just not the Actiontec.

I followed the instructions here up to 7 as well.
Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 3): WAN-to-LAN keeps Guide and VOD (easier))

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

JimPhreak

White Plains, NY
reply to JimPhreak
Well I fixed my issue. I did what you said More Fiber and set my new router (Linksys e4200) to 192.168.2.1 and I then reset my Actiontec router to default settings. Unplugged both devices and then plugged in my e4200 (the one connected to the ONT) followed by the Actiontec. My Actiontec received an IP address from the e4200 on the 192.168.2.x network and all is working great now. Program guide and VOD included! Thanks for the tip More Fiber!

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JimPhreak
It used to be that you could power down your ONT for about 5 mins and that would do it.. but for some reason, Verizon is wary of NEW devices coming online after a power down.. so it might take 30 mins or longer (which is sometimes about how long you might have to wait on hold w/ customer service to get someone to break it manually).

BEFORE you replace your old router w/ the new one.. do a CONFIG RELEASE.. this will unblock it for the new router ( or at least should in theory ).

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Good advice, but that's not the OP's problem. His Linksys (primary) is getting a WAN IP just fine.

The problem is the Actiontec (secondary) is not getting a DHCP address from the Linksys.
--

Quickr1

join:2013-08-15
Richmond, VA
reply to JimPhreak
after resetting the actiontec router to factory settings and following the steps again, everything works fine now. I am not sure what caused the issue in the first place, but all is good now.

Thanks!
Chris

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to quickr1
That is an older setup , I fear no one has made changes, and if so I fear no one has done the leg work of writing it down. Make it easier on yourself, and make the asus the primary and turn the actiontec into a moca bridge. much much easier and VOD, guide and caller id work great.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"