spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cygx

join:2013-08-15

1 edit

How do I contact email spammers?

First off, I read the warning. I might get my head chopped off but I can't find where else to put this. For what it's worth, I want to kick off a personal anti-spam campaign by finding a viable personal reply email address for everyone who sends an email that winds up in my spam folder.

I realize that this could just give me more spam. I don't care. It all goes into my spam folder anyway.

I'm sick of getting sent spam emails with no means to give them a taste of their own medicine and send emails back to them!

How do I find the proper email addresses of the people sending me unsolicited spam emails, as in email addresses that won't give me a reply from mailer daemon saying my email failed!?

If you email someone, you should be required to provide a proper means by which they can email you back! Say you get a generic spam email titled "Get brand name tires for less". You should be able to ask the sender, with ease, why they thought you would be interested in tires. These spammers need to get it through their heads that there are actual people behind the email addresses they're sending their junk to, and what better way to do that than to be able to address them as people themselves?

It's the simple principle that I should be able to contact anyone who contacts me. Behind every spam bot is a person, and that person has contact information. I'm asking how to get it.

These spammers should be required to have a means for which the receiver may be able to contact them, personally, about what they were sent and any grievances they may have. A means that's at least as simple as the means the spammer used to get the person's personal email in the first place.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by cygx:

How do I contact email spammers?

Generally speaking, you can't.

If you email someone, you should be required to provide a proper means by which they can email you back!

Unfortunately, that information is easily forged. Most spam goes out with a forged sender address.

Behind every spam bot is a person, and that person has contact information. I'm asking how to get it.

You would need to do a lot of research. The spammers hide pretty well.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 22.0

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to cygx

Good luck with your campaign

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to cygx

said by cygx:

For what it's worth, I want to kick off a personal anti-spam campaign by finding a viable personal reply email address for everyone who sends an email that winds up in my spam folder.

I realize that this could just give me more spam. I don't care. It all goes into my spam folder anyway.

I'm sick of getting sent spam emails with no means to give them a taste of their own medicine and send emails back to them!

How do I find the proper email addresses of the people sending me unsolicited spam emails, as in email addresses that won't give me a reply from mailer daemon saying my email failed!?

I somewhat dislike finding myself using very old and tired cliché, but "You can't get there from here" really does apply here since spammers hide their identity and their spam run's source origination points.

REM even wrote a little ditty titled "Can't Get There From Here".

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3cYh5Pp1I

--
Whats the point of owning a supercar if you cant scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to cygx

Excluding pharmaceuticals in particular follow the money (product, service).
It might not lead to a spammers personal mailbox but even better it leads to the spammers customers - the folks who pay $ to have you spammed.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to cygx

said by cygx:

I bought my own domain. I run my own mail server (you can also find hosting which provides mail service), and set up my own filters. These filters can reject unsolicited email during the SMTP process, with a 5xx fail code. This is the only way I can think of to annoy spammers.

You don't. They know that they are annoying people who don't want their advertising.

These spammers need to get it through their heads that there are actual people behind the email addresses they're sending their junk to, and what better way to do that than to be able to address them as people themselves?

They don't care about that. They see what they do as "legitimate advertising", and protected "frea speach" (classic spammer spelling). They whine about "censorship", and have even DDoSed a well-regarded anti-spam service.

It's the simple principle that I should be able to contact anyone who contacts me. Behind every spam bot is a person, and that person has contact information. I'm asking how to get it.

The best that you can do is identify the IP address used to inject the spam; but the owner often is not the spammer. Or identify the owner of the advertised domain; also likely not the spammer. You could sign up as a reporter at Spamcop.net. I do that. Here is a recent report I submitted about a "Pump-N-Dump"spam:

»www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z554802159···4907646z

Let Spamcop.net figure out where to send abuse notifies.

One thing to be aware of: The occasional spammer will forge a valid email address, which is not theirs, as the SMTP "MAIL FROM:" argument. This happened to me in June, 2002; and I got so many NDRs from undeliverable spam that it was very close to a DoS against my account. So even if the return address in your spam was deliverable, it likely isn't the spammer's.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40

1 recommendation

reply to cygx

Spammers are criminals. Are you also going to try and contact the guy who broke into your car, and ask him to stop as well? C'mon.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr