All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
reportsdsl
join:2013-05-23

reportsdsl

Charter welcome new customers But screw existing customers

My contract is about to end this September. I have been paying 34.99 for just internet. So I call Charter and ask about renewing my contract for a reasonable price. Off course, the rep. offer me a bundle for bah bah bah. Seriously, who needs a bundle. Let's face it, nobody needs bundle, yet they continue to shove it down our throats. You got your cell phone bill, so throw the telephone out. Once you got the internet, there is no need for cable tv because you basically can watch anything+everything else you cant get from cable, not to mention if u got netflix,hulu, or redbox for alot less. Then the rep. told me that he can only offer 52.99 for internet. I ask him about the 29.99/12mos for internet on their website. He told me it was for new customers. Still after it seems like new customers got the better deal because after 12mos, standard price after that is 42.99. There is just No Love for loyal customers.

Anybody here was about to negotiate a good contract renewal recently? And is there any charter rep. here that would be able to offer a reasonable price for just internet(34-to mid 40s but below 50s)?
Lewy
join:2013-04-05

Lewy

No, and No.
baja7475
join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA

baja7475 to reportsdsl

to reportsdsl
Just Bundle. Loose your cell phone, that will save you 60+ a month and get rid of all of the subscriptions to Amazon, Hulu, netflix and any other crappy internet service.... I have no cell phone bill, i got a 20 buck landline and all of the premiums at a discount rate so I don't have to rent dvd's or download anything. Having a dvr find all of your shows is a lot easier then going online everyday and downloading 4 hrs of tv into some kind of server.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to reportsdsl

to reportsdsl
You're not getting screwed. Funny you were 100% ok with getting a deal when YOU were new. Now that you aren't you're against new customers getting a deal.

You got internet $20 cheaper than it would otherwise cost for 2 years somehow you got screwed? You do understand the concept of PROMOTIONAL pricing don't you? By the way Charter stopped offering contract 14 months ago. This isn't something new.

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7 to reportsdsl

to reportsdsl
Myself I pay 49.99, aka 50 bucks. 30 meg always full speed. I get even by not having tv service, or their phone service, hell my cell service runs me only $12, but I don't yack on the phone a lot. I download w/e I want whenever I want and usually in HD. I average 300 gigs a month, and deny myself nothing, that is how I justify the cost/price. its an individual thing, but it works for me. If they did call me bitching about my usage, only then would I dump their ass. I don't mind paying a descent price for good service, which we have in my area.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to baja7475

to baja7475
I thought the trend was for losing a landline....

you seriously need to find another carrier if you're paying $60+ for a cell phone a month.
said by baja7475:

Just Bundle. Loose your cell phone, that will save you 60+ a month and get rid of all of the subscriptions to Amazon, Hulu, netflix and any other crappy internet service.... I have no cell phone bill, i got a 20 buck landline and all of the premiums at a discount rate so I don't have to rent dvd's or download anything. Having a dvr find all of your shows is a lot easier then going online everyday and downloading 4 hrs of tv into some kind of server.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Couldn't agree more on losing that land line. Only wish I could, but my $9.99 for life plan from Vonage isn't bad. Cell phone bill is only $35 a month for unlimited everything, for the most part, from Boostmobile. Only have Charters crap expanded basic tv and wouldn't even own a tv if it wasn't for the wife!

I agree with OP on the fact that Charter doesn't give a rats a** about loyal customers though. In fact, Charter doesn't give much of a rats a** about anything except that last ungodly dollar!

As Lewy said also, no and no!
baja7475
Atascadero, CA

baja7475 to compuguybna

to compuguybna
Tried vonage and it sucked. Can't get Boost-mobile in my area. I have no cell phone bill personally. So having a 20 dollar landline is a great replacement. ALL of my friends and family have ATT, Verizon or Sprint. Those are the only ones that work in the area. They pay in between 80-100. I got 18% discount through my work for my wife and it's 60 bucks. So I save 60 bucks not having a cell phone.

ChumpChange
@charter.com

ChumpChange

Anon

Re: Thank you browser add-ons

Wait sprint works fine but boost which is sprint does not? Interesting.
baja7475
Atascadero, CA

baja7475

Which is fine with me, my company doesn't have a discount with Boost anyway. I think Boost service is fine on the other side of the county and if you don't want data.
shpatb
join:2013-07-16

shpatb to reportsdsl

to reportsdsl

Re: Charter welcome new customers But screw existing customers

I called and tried to renegotiate after my bill doubled from 29.99 to 60 something after taxes. I called and told them I wanted to cancel with no intention of canceling and go transferred to the retention office and got a new price of 39.99 for 12 months. Just tell them it's too expensive at the new price and you want to cancel, only way they'll lower your price.
tiger862
join:2013-08-15

tiger862

I called for months and only told sorry you want to leave us. Went ahead and did some math and figured I would have saved going with Satellite wait that is for 1 year and 2nd year they make price depending on market and a contract. You would pay for equipment failure and no guarantee of service in area. I said no thank you. Chatted online with Charter and finally got a good deal with no contract since my 2 year contract was running out. It is bundled by hey I get Phone, Internet, and most of the same channels I was going to get with satellite for less money. I had Vonage and loved them, ATT cell, outside antenna and internet from Charter at one time and what a mess. Seemed like I was paying bills and nothing else then bundled and saved money. Just my opinion.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to baja7475

to baja7475
Dude, how much a month were you paying for your cell phone? I only pay $90 per month for two unlimited prepaid lines. I just canceled my TV service thru charter because it was costing me over $120 per month to just watch 2 channels. Now just have internet, and paying 115 per month.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to baja7475

to baja7475
Dude, go prepaid, with a BYOP plan. I use straight talk, and with unlimited data as well. I have an SGS3. You were paying way too much.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Chubbysumo:

Dude, go prepaid, with a BYOP plan. I use straight talk, and with unlimited data as well. I have an SGS3. You were paying way too much.

Straighttalk does OT have unlimited data. That's just not factual. not to mention it tops out at 3G speeds.

Witchdoctor9
@charter.com

Witchdoctor9

Anon

I had a nice letter today about my rates going up $50 a month after the promo.. That is $600 a YEAR increase.. When you can Customer no-service they will tell you to pound sand.. Going to a Charter Office they will tell you to pound sand.. Here is the key.. Call the Charter number and tell the automated operating you want to CANCEL all services.. This takes you to a different group.. Follow up and say you have already schedule an install with a competitor which will be out in 4 days and you need to schedule a disconnect.. At that point they all the sudden have promotions to offer and bingo you are back in business.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Chubbysumo:

Straighttalk does OT have unlimited data. That's just not factual. not to mention it tops out at 3G speeds.

I have never been cut off. I used 4.4GB last month, and was not even throttled. With their Tmo SIMs, they actually tell you that they will throttle after 2 or 3GB depending on the market conditions, but the old AT&T ones did not have this, and only got throttled as AT&T felt the need to. I also used over 1000 minutes of call time last month, and still have yet to hear a peep.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Witchdoctor9

to Witchdoctor9
said by Witchdoctor9 :

I had a nice letter today about my rates going up $50 a month after the promo.. That is $600 a YEAR increase..

Yeah it's called PROMNO pricing. Which is temporary. Why do people expect PROMO pricing to be permanent? I guess they could have charged you regular price from the start then you never would have saved that $600, but at least you would have been "ripped off" by the price increase.

88615298 (banned) to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

I have never been cut off.

Good for you I guess you missed the story where there is class action lawsuit against them for lying about "unlimited" data. Or are all those people lying?
baja7475
Atascadero, CA

1 edit

baja7475 to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
I don't have or need to pay for a cell phone. Please read my whole post. I haven't had a cell phone for 8 or 9 years, ever since landlines got so cheap.... For my wife's cell phone, Straightalk doesn't have the phones she likes in our area.

Witchdoctor9
@charter.com

Witchdoctor9 to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Witchdoctor9 :

I had a nice letter today about my rates going up $50 a month after the promo.. That is $600 a YEAR increase..

Yeah it's called PROMNO pricing. Which is temporary. Why do people expect PROMO pricing to be permanent? I guess they could have charged you regular price from the start then you never would have saved that $600, but at least you would have been "ripped off" by the price increase.

If it was regular price no one would be using Charter and they would go bankrupt again. Yes, I understand what PROMO is but you should be able to jump to one PROMO to another and not expect to pay MSRP for being a loyal customer..Basically, you have to rotate between DIRECTV/DISH and Charter for the deals. Also, doing a little work saved me $600.00.. I think it was worth it. Charter is cashing in on the loyal customers.. Cable is in, modems are configured, no installation contractors, its all billing at that point. Give me a break on this PROMO thing, it is a rip off to loyal customers that pay there bill on time every month..
tiger862
join:2013-08-15

tiger862

Go to Chartercom.com and speak to live rep. That is what I did. Tried Phone and in office and was told sorry to hear you want to turn TV off but nothing we can do. Couldn't even match. I tried Dish but installer stated I would have nothing but problems due to trees. I called and again sorry can't do anything and sorry you feel that way so what day you want to disconnect your services and for a hour I tried to explain I didn't want to disconnect I just wanted a good deal and same answer. Finally she talked to her boss (yeah right) and gave my channels I wanted but she lied about price so I went online as was done in less than 10 minutes I had the price which I thought was fair and no contract and it posted on my account online and bill went up 20.00 month from promo price and have more channels and faster internet and no contract.
jammybastard
join:2009-12-23
Madison, WI

jammybastard to reportsdsl

to reportsdsl
I've been with Charter since 2000. Internet only. I was paying $91 mos. (30MB, modem, tax) after my last 2 yr. deal for 59.99 expired.
Two days ago I decided to skip call and going to the local office and used the CS Chat instead. It took 10min to get a rep.
I told CS I was going to cancel my service since I was paying too much.
I told CS I had seen my current plan being offered for $29.99.

The CS rep put me on "hold" for 5 min, and then came back and offered me the same service I had @ 30MB + free modem for $29.99 mos. for 12 mos.
No bundles, no extras.
I agreed and within 5 min the new terms were reflected on my account.

This is the lowest price I think I've ever paid in 13 yrs. of being with Charter.
Pretty amazing IMHO.
Expand your moderator at work
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to reportsdsl

to reportsdsl

Re: Charter welcome new customers But screw existing customers

There are plenty of ways to not pay $60 or more per month for cell phone service... I'm not sure how sprint does it (I never deal with sprint or it's MVNO's) but I do know there is Page Plus for Verizon (much better deal than verizon), selectelwireless for verizon (new, haven't tried them out), redpocket, h20, airvoice, and so many other MVNO's for AT&T

Straight Talk customer service is horrible and while the service may work ok (your phone calls and texts will always work), editing APN settings every other update and the thrill of having data throttled whenever AT&T feels you've used too much data is not my cup of tea.

I'd rather pay for a company that says what you can use and go ahead and use it all however you want, than deal with a company that says go ahead, use as much as you want, but use it based on arbitrary numbers and algorithms that we do not publish anywhere and can cut you off at any time for any reason we feel like it.

Witchdoctor9
@charter.com

3 edits

Witchdoctor9 to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Here is the bottom line... No one pays regular listed price. It's like buying a car of a lot at FULL price. Sprint tried what Charter did about 3 years ago without have customer change their promo plans and going full price and paying full price for phones. That backfired hard.

You have to play the game with these guys and if you do not you lose.. My price is probably not the lowest possible but low enough for me to deal with it. Bottom line: if you want to get your promo back then cancel your service. Never tell them that you are thinking about it because they will not take you seriously. Play the game as stupid as it is.. If you do not get the answer you want, hang up and call again.. you will get a different rep with a different attitude.. Good customer service is hard to find.

Mod Note: Please see Site Posting Rules before posting again. This post was moderated.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Witchdoctor9 :

Here is the bottom line... No one pays regular listed price. It's like buying a car of a lot at FULL price. Sprint tried what Charter did about 3 years ago without have customer change their promo plans and going full price and paying full price for phones. That backfired hard.

T-Mobile has taken on this approach and they've had their best quarter in YEARS and they gained more customers than either Sprint or At&t. Kind of destroys your theory.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99

Seems Ive heard Charter is doing better too...
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

T-Mobile has taken on this approach and they've had their best quarter in YEARS and they gained more customers than either Sprint or At&t. Kind of destroys your theory.

I think for now it's because they are really the only ones doing so... their network is horrible outside of urban sprawl and it's put together very sporadically (also doesn't help that they have 2100mhz, 1900mhz, and 1700mhz spectrum.)
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by BlakePaulson:

I think for now it's because they are really the only ones doing so... their network is horrible outside of urban sprawl and it's put together very sporadically (also doesn't help that they have 2100mhz, 1900mhz, and 1700mhz spectrum.)

Oh I agree their network sucks. The only one of the 4 major carriers that doesn't have service anywhere within 50 miles of me. For the record Verizon will deploying LTE over 1700/2100 MHz. And they have 1900 MHz they use for 1x that they do plan on converting to LTE eventually. I'm sure T-Mobile will get some of the 600 MHz spectrum in the auctions next year.