spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EddieT

join:2010-01-16
Dubuque, IA

[Cable HSI] Whats with this mediacom ad?

Ad or notice, what is this and why did it appear once my youtube page loaded up:

»i132.photobucket.com/albums/q39/···775e.png

It also appeared on another site before but I lost it before I could take a image of it. When I hovered my cursor over the buttons it gave the youtube link along with a long weird link.

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
I can't see the image, but I imagine it's Mediacom's HTML hijacking injection js at work if its telling you something about data caps or a new policy or something. I personally think this practice is a little creepy and over-steps several boundaries.

I haven't seen the notice, but I have read about several people that have. I block js and cookies on most sites and block nearly all 3rd-party scripts so I doubt I'll ever see it. I also use 3rd-party DNS since Mediacom's is so terrible.

If you haven't heard, Mediacom has implemented data caps for all customers (effective September), even previously grandfathered customers that were told they would not have a data cap as long as they did not change their plan. They are suppose to be sending out letters, but I haven't seen one yet.

EDIT: spelling mistakes (probably more I didn't notice)

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
Well I block js and use a 3rd party DNS as well.

Is the data cap for September the same as the one before? As in no lower limits?

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom
I never really paid attention to what they were before, but a couple posts down in this thread show the caps that will go into effect for everyone.

»bandwidth usage limits please..

150 GB for the 3 Mbps Intro/Launch
250 GB for Prime
350 GB for Prime Plus
999 GB for Ultra and Ultra Plus

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
These popups are to help explain the changes that are occurring with the data usage policies. You'll want to read through this. If you have any further questions let me know.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
said by MediacomChad:

These popups are to help explain the changes that are occurring with the data usage policies. You'll want to read through this. If you have any further questions let me know.

what popups? I have yet to see one of those

rudnicke
Premium
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL
kudos:4
reply to EddieT
These caps are just stupid and greedy on MC's part. As soon as I can nail down another provider, I'm dumping these creeps.
--
I did have a sig, but I had to remove it because my political views were too 'wrong' for some users on DSLr.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL
said by rudnicke:

These caps are just stupid and greedy on MC's part. As soon as I can nail down another provider, I'm dumping these creeps.

Who? Frontier? Good luck with that. Face it in our area there is just mediacom

TMar

join:2006-12-05
Gilbertsville, KY
reply to GLIMMER
They seem hit and miss. I just got one instead of google search. If your going to inject JS notices about crappy caps at least give me the page I'm attempting to load as well.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
reply to MediacomChad
Wrong way to explain this, especially if it appears on my personal website and making me think I have malware.

I suggest sending a email or letter in the mail instead.

MediaCon

@mchsi.com
said by EddieT:

Wrong way to explain this, especially if it appears on my personal website and making me think I have malware.

I suggest sending a email or letter in the mail instead.

I am specail, they call every 4 days to let me know i went over my cap. Yesterdays ''kid'' i told him yes i know sept 7th is D-day and until then i am attempting to blow the modem up.
i hoping to get the 10tb crown. hehe
he said it sounds like i know the levels and such etc. have good evening. i said plz read notes on customers before ya dial out.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Another failure point in this process, Chad, is that the wrong person in the household might see this note. What if comes up on a kid's browser first, and not the browser of the primary account holder? The message will get lost or confused, and those that that need to know won't know.

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11
said by k9iua6:

said by MediacomChad:

Another failure point in this process, Chad, is that the wrong person in the household might see this note. What if comes up on a kid's browser first, and not the browser of the primary account holder? The message will get lost or confused, and those that that need to know won't know.

The challenge we have is that no one form of communication seems to work or satisfy all customers. Many have concerns about the browser notification. Others don't use or read their Mediacom email address. Many don't read the information included with their bill. We are attempting to use all three methods for notifying customers in the hope that nobody is surprise by the policy change. Additionally many of the methods will be used going forward to help notify customers should their usage reach near-allowance levels.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL
BAINCH

How about not making a person have a mediacom email to view there usage? That should be with the billing website not the mediacom today site. I mean are your web designers that bad they can't make it show on the billing website?

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11
said by GLIMMER:

BAINCH

How about not making a person have a mediacom email to view there usage? That should be with the billing website not the mediacom today site. I mean are your web designers that bad they can't make it show on the billing website?

The usage meter is hosted internally. The billing website externally. We are working on getting those together with single sign on. I don't have a timeframe I can share on that yet but we agree it is important.

TMar

Gilbertsville, KY
reply to EddieT
Now there's a name I haven't seen in awhile!

Anyhow I do find it interesting that Mediacom choose an overage fee over throttling. It's right up there with their "no other reason than to have a lower advertised price" $15 monthly fee. If we should have to pay them to go over the caps isn't it fair they discount us when we are under them? I'm just not sure I can justify $65 a month for capped fairly unreliable/inconstant service.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Tmar,

If you are having problems with your service I would be happy to help you with that. We do want to make sure you are getting good service and low downtime.

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to EddieT
I never see any of that crap, but then i don't use MC's DNS servers. I use OpenDNS, faster and more reliable and it blocks a lot of crap, as well as making it impossible for MC to inject all that crap. They arent the only one doing it though, i have seen some of my customers complain now about Frontier's hijacking, especially when you mistype a URL, so i guess its becoming common practice. I generally just switch them to OpenDNS and its all good.

If your behind a router just go in and change your DNS from auto to manual and put in OpenDNS for both the primary and secondary DNS.

www.opendns.com if you want to check on it yourself.

EddieT

Dubuque, IA
I actually recommend google's DNS. It's been a lot better for me than open.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
I finally set up DNS/DHCP on my CentOS VM that I have setup to test my websites on my media center. I also use Level3's DNS 4.2.2.x as a backup since they're the fastest here. OpenDNS was the slowest, followed by Google. I'll NEVER go back to Mediacom's!

TMar

Gilbertsville, KY
reply to MediacomChad
I'm sure there's logs you can look at for it for them. I normally contact medicom twitter support to confirm area outages with cut fiber and whatnot so it's not so much just mine service. A couple hours a couple a times a month isn't much in the scheme of things but compared to others it's high.

anachronda

join:2011-05-16
Ridgecrest, CA
reply to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

I saw one of these ad banners this morning.

First thought was "Krep! Those boogers are dorking with my web pages!"

Second thought was "Hold on, there. Could be a phishing attempt trying to trick me to click on one of them buttons and install some of that there malware; any old badguy can tell from my IP address that I'm a MediaCom customer. I better web on over to the ol' MediaCom homepage to see what it says."

Not a thing.

If this is so important that you're willing to inject stuff into web pages to ensure we're seeing the messages, it should be FRONT AND CENTER over at mchsi.com.

You'd also think that a customer service guy saying "you'll want to read through this" would toss a link into his message taking me to "this".

And while I'm ranting... since they've upgraded my area, I keep getting ads in my snailmailbox telling me "upgrade your service and save BIG the first year!", but the flyer doesn't talk about what the upgraded service will cost in subsequent years. So the only thing I really learn about the upgraded service is that it's so expensive you don't want to tell me what it costs!

I'll stick with the devil I know, thank you very much.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Hello anachronda,

Unfortunately there isn't a link to the popup. This is merely one form of communication we are using with our customers to get the information out there and known.

anachronda

join:2011-05-16
Ridgecrest, CA
said by MediacomChad:

Hello anachronda,

Unfortunately there isn't a link to the popup. This is merely one form of communication we are using with our customers to get the information out there and known.

But the popup takes you to some *other* message (three buttons: details, remind me later, i agree). Shouldn't you have a link to wherever the "details" button takes you?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Currently I do not have access to the link or I could post it.

dwiecking

join:2002-10-28
Bethany Beach, DE
reply to BAINCH
I just checked my MCHSI mailbox, and see 25 unread messages from Mediacom going back to December 2009. I see no message about upcoming data caps, so I assume this new policy does not apply to my account, and I thank you. BTW-messages on the Weather Channel crawler are usually how I find out about Mediacom channel changes; I suggest this additional method to notify affected customers of your new data cap policy.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
dwiecking, the new Data allowances will be affecting everyone as of 9/7/13. I will be happy to look over your account and verify your usage if you would like. Feel free to send me an IM with your account or phone number.

drumnj

join:2010-05-13
Ames, IA
reply to EddieT
Click for full size
So much for Mediacom grandfathering in those before the usage cap. Was the first customer in Ames to get docsis 3.0 (I knew this cause techs gave me their number to call them when I was available since I was kind of a customer guinea pig), only ultra 50 was available at the time. I was glad to hear when they added caps that they were keeping those with existing service at unlimited, but I guess even those who've stuck it out are getting taken for granted.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
I suspect the administrative paperwork with tracking between grandfathered and non-grandfathered customers was proving to be too much of a nightmare to administer. While many feel this is a money-grab on the part of Mediacom, I don't think this is, but rather a need to reduce operating expenses and complexity of operation. Applying the usage cap to everyone removes complexity in the billing process, which reduces billing costs.

CapJack

join:2013-08-20
reply to drumnj
Lies from MediaCON? No way?! I thought they were as honest as the NSA and Executive branch.