Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to k9iua6

Re: [Cable HSI] Whats with this mediacom ad?

I would like to know how Mediacom came up with people only using 14 GB of data in a MONTH. I can go through that in A DAY. (System Updates, NetFlix, Audio Streaming)

CapJack

join:2013-08-20
said by IowaMan:

I would like to know how Mediacom came up with people only using 14 GB of data in a MONTH. I can go through that in A DAY. (System Updates, NetFlix, Audio Streaming)

Maybe an average of 100% of it's residential customer base, including those with only cable TV? Or maybe it's a sample of select areas, that just happen to have low usage. Or maybe they just pulled a number out of their butts to make the justification look believable. One is just as likely as the other.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to IowaMan
said by IowaMan:

Well good for you. I suspect there are many older customers (my parents are good examples) who do no streaming and maybe check Facebook or e-mail once every few days.

It doesn't matter what the average usage is. What is pertinent is the basis used to decide the cutoff point for each tier, and how many customers are disenfranchised by that and will now need to pay. That is where Mediacom needs to justify themselves and the logic they used. Not that we have a say other than if someone chooses to remain a customer or not.

anonanon222

@mchsi.com
well not that it will do any good with our corporate congress.....but I would think we rattle congress chains about dis-allowing media companies and cable tv owners to own internet services as what mediacom is doing is dishonest at best and protecting their cable tv bases as it will now cost us if we go over and bring a windfall to them and head off cable cutting as most of us have no other choice for internet and media companies should not control internet services as it is a conflict of interest.

hi again

@mchsi.com
reply to EddieT
Oh a side note, I tried to go without an ad blocker for a couple of days using chrome. Unbelievable. Sites that start downloads of spyware without even asking, pop up multiple windows with advertising, flash ads everywhere. Absolutely amazing what the internet has become without one.

Have to stick with firefox, it does a better job than chrome handling ads. Have no choice but to keep them blocked.

anondood

@mchsi.com
reply to IowaMan
So I have Mediacom Online Intro. Do I have a 150GB limit or a 15GB limit?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
The Mediacom Intro service has transitioned to Launch. Other than the name changes not really any differences in speed or anything. You would be under the 150GB data allowance per month.

anondood

@mchsi.com
Thank you for making that clear.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
You're welcome. If you've got any other questions feel free to ask me.

MediaCon

@mchsi.com
reply to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

said by IowaMan:

Well good for you. I suspect there are many older customers (my parents are good examples) who do no streaming and maybe check Facebook or e-mail once every few days.

It doesn't matter what the average usage is. What is pertinent is the basis used to decide the cutoff point for each tier, and how many customers are disenfranchised by that and will now need to pay. That is where Mediacom needs to justify themselves and the logic they used. Not that we have a say other than if someone chooses to remain a customer or not.

If your parents are spending 60bux a month on internet for just email, that be hard to believe. every post you make is pro mediacom and makes one think you work for them.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
said by MediaCon :

If your parents are spending 60bux a month on internet for just email, that be hard to believe. every post you make is pro mediacom and makes one think you work for them.

No, I don't work for Mediacom, nor for any other ISP, cable operator, or any other component in telecommunications. I work in academia, and even there not in IT. I just happen to have a more level-headed, non-reactionary assessment of what is happening at Mediacom and other aspects of the industry. I'm also not letting myself get too bent out of shape on technology such as this. At the same time I believe Mediacom needs to improve in many ways, but I'm not going to crab about it.

And no, I don't believe my parents spend $60 for their internet, nor do my wife and I.

kashman

join:2003-12-16
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to MediacomChad
So if both Ultra 50 & Ultra 105 are capped at 999 I may need to call them and find out what the price difference is in Cedar Rapids. I feel the need, the need for speed.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
kashman,

If you would like I can get you some information on that and even have a representative contact you.

kashman

join:2003-12-16
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sure that would be great. thanks for the help!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'll send you over a private message.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to MediaCon
said by MediaCon :

said by k9iua6:

said by IowaMan:

Every post you make is just whining and pretty horrid attempts at trolling.

A lot of people pay that much for net and do nothing but email, facebook and simple surfing. Hell if I wasn't using the net where I'm staying our usage would be under 10gig a month. Most people just get what they want because it's the fastest, without regard for what they'll actually need. Just like when people buy sports cars, but yet never drive them fast.