Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Onemore
Premium
join:2006-05-12
Louisville, KY

Google Fiber

Hoping that Google Fiber, will one day be in every state and or every city in the US. As I watch Billionaire cable companies scramble to begin to try to change their ways, in every city that Google Fiber says that it will begin to run fiber to the home....it does my heart good. Hoping that Google Fiber comes to my city one day, so that I can watch, up close, the war of the Billionaires.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Don't hold your breath on that one. Like all other projects/hobbies they shut them down after a few years.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Onemore
said by Onemore:

Hoping that Google Fiber, will one day be in every state and or every city in the US. As I watch Billionaire cable companies scramble to begin to try to change their ways, in every city that Google Fiber says that it will begin to run fiber to the home....it does my heart good. Hoping that Google Fiber comes to my city one day, so that I can watch, up close, the war of the Billionaires.

and then the cable owned RSN's and channels can play hardball with google over fees.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Don't hold your breath on that one. Like all other projects/hobbies they shut them down after a few years.

TB,
In every one of your posts you have an air of negativity with concerns to Google, but even I have to admit, you are right. This may be a side project that they most likely will leave in the dustbin in the future.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband
Like Google mail and their search engine. Where'd they go?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to spewak
its not all negativity. They're search engine is a great product has has driven their business. But when they're starting to build networks like this or buy them for $1 and still leaving the tax payers on the hook for the rest of the network, only later to be able to offload it if they see they're "not making money" with no proof needed. That becomes a problem. Even in KC they're able to sell the network just after 2 years of building it. Do people really think they're going to keep a network like that?? It's going to cost them millions to finish building out in their areas. Google is a PR machine and DSLR is their publisher. Google needs to find a business they enjoy and keep it. If this was any other business doing this; they would be called out by Karl and everyone else on here.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to jmn1207
Those are not hobbies of the company. Search was their first product. Gmail was added later and only came out of beta over the last 5 or so years. But look at all their other products they've ended. Look at their Google handsets they were making and selling direct that was suppose to bring prices down. That didn't work so they ended that in a hurry. But of course its not going to work when they only had ONE network that they would work on. MOTO was nothing but a business to buy and turn into a hobby. If they were serious with that they'd be using MOTO to build their own products for their customers directly. And should we go on about how they were going to turn the wireless/cellular industry around? Yah that really happened too. And their "open" ftth network. another pile of BS by Google. Their shareholders are in charge now and will want that $$$$ back. Google is limited on that.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
Android another hobby? Google has no need to become a manufacturer. They are a data company. They need to make sure their money is made on data, not hardware sales.

I think Google would love to be in your TV and your set top box. But they won't get in though any cableco just as they couldn't get into the cellphones though the wireless carriers.

If we get strong net neutrality laws then the need for Google ISP will be reduced. If not, I fully expect them to keep deploying and trying to get into the TV.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
Android was NOT developed by Google and that has been stated countless times. Google PURCHASED Android to compete. And with the model of data over hardware it shows the company has NO real commitments if they're not willing to make $$$ off anything they purchase. Those purchases are a waste and the shareholders need to start acting like a shareholder and making Google's CEO start selling those companies back off or use them.

And Google IS a cableco. And they could have put their money where their mouth is and bought Sprint, Metro, Leap or any other company. Hell even a prepaid company they could have created by an MVNO. But the fact is they just like having their name in the news with BBR claiming they're the greatest thing of all time. And there is still no such thing as net neutrality. It's a myth and Google plays into it by paying for access. There is no issues with traffic not being equal that anyone has been able to document. NN was a thing that the media, and Karl created to drum up a scare for what they want to push- and still do.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband
Being Google really has nothing to do with it. If it was ANY company, new old large or small, that came in and was doing what Google is doing, which is basically threatening the livelihood of the companies you come here fighting so hard for, you would be doing the EXACT same thing.

I could come into 150 billion dollars tomorrow and start a fiber project and you will come here trying to find a chink in every piece of armor and bad mouthing it left and right. You have been this way for as long as I can remember.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to TBBroadband
You do realize that having your connection gives them 100% of your data regardless of search engine and that data is probably worth more to them, right?

I realize sometimes it is easy to miss the forest while we look at the trees, but ponder that for a while as you continue to try to define what their core business is and what is best for it.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB
They want access to that data, just as they get with Gmail and searches. and having as many possible avenues to gain access as possible, is what drives most of their "free"/beta/hobby farm efforts.

Throw mud at it and see what sort of tracks it leaves.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to TBBroadband
How could you POSSIBLY know that? Do you work for Google too, or just TWC?