spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skuba

join:2004-07-26
San Francisco, CA

How do I know if I am accessing primary router or repeater?

I have successfully setup an ASUS RT-N66U as primary router and a Motorola WR850G as a repeater. If both SSID are the same how can I tell which one my devices are accessing? I want to make sure the devices are flowing access from one to another depending on best signal.

The repeater was setup to give better access in the bedrooms. I do notice a much slower DL speed in the bedroom so I am not sure if it's because I am accessing repeater which is a g router, or if it's just because I am far from the primary n router.

I get around 24-28Mbps in the living room where primary is, and about 2-4Mbps in the bedrooms. Does this sound normal?

Thanks so much

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
it might not function that way just because the SSIDs are the same.

the only thing i can think of is to check signal strength and/or login to the APs and see if it has a 'current connections' listing the active devices.

even with the enterprise wifi setup at work i cant tell which one i am connected to unless i login to the wireless controller, then i can see which computer is on which wifi ap.

i can tell based on my office location and signal strength if i am connected to the one outside my office or one further away if i notice the signal strength is lower.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
reply to skuba
By repeater I assume you mean you set up one of the access points without a wired connection and configure it as wireless bridge to connect to the other AP. If that is the case and if the unit only has one radio there is a significant performance penalty since the AP talks to the client, then forwards the frame to the other AP, half duplex store and forward.

If both AP are connected using Ethernet to your LAN performance should be the same regardless of which one the client is using.

Since these are your AP the easiest way to tell which AP the client is connected to is to determine the MAC address of the AP.

Assuming this is Win Vista or later, to display the AP MAC address from the command line type:
netsh wlan show interfaces

»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···071.aspx

/tom

skuba

San Francisco, CA
said by tschmidt:

If that is the case and if the unit only has one radio there is a significant performance penalty since the AP talks to the client, then forwards the frame to the other AP, half duplex store and forward.

From what I read the performance penalty would be half of the bandwidth, right?

Is it normal I am only getting about 10% of the speed of the primary AP from the repeater? Does it have to do with the fact that it's a g protocol instead of n? I thought g would be able to handle the 25Mpbps I get with the n.

Thanks Tom.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to skuba
Grab a copy of inSSIDer and install it. It will show you which of the AP's your laptop is connected to. You can even watch it switch between them as you move through the house.

skuba

San Francisco, CA
I actually have inssider installed. Couldn't get it to switch APs. I think because I am non macbook air and it has pretty good reception so it just stays with my primary AP anywhere in the house.

iPad mini has a weaker modem reception but there are currently no apps on appstore for this kind of stuff.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
You do have the SSID and the password set the same on both AP's, right? I haven't touched a Mac since the 90's, so I can't help on that end.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
reply to skuba
said by skuba:

I actually have inssider installed. Couldn't get it to switch APs. I think because I am non macbook air and it has pretty good reception so it just stays with my primary AP anywhere in the house.

iPad mini has a weaker modem reception but there are currently no apps on appstore for this kind of stuff.

it may be worthwhile to tinker with the output power on the a/p if possible.
the trick to enterprise wireless design and a/p placement is twofold -- making sure that you can guarantee adequate coverage through walls, etc -- and ensuring that your wireless coverage has just enough overlap to ensure a seamless handoff.

it sounds like that rather than a "venn diagram" looking spread -- you're unbalanced.
tweak power levels and go from there.

also -- if you hold the "option" key while clicking on the wireless network icon on your mac -- you'll get the signal/station info. verify the 'bssid' of the connection as you move from one a/p to the other.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to skuba
I would begin my testing by plugging the laptop directly into one of the Lan ports of the repeater and checking speeds there. Make sure it is working before worrying about the wireless link.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to skuba
said by skuba:

If both SSID are the same how can I tell which one my devices are accessing?

Usually via the MAC address of the device sending the SSID. Unfortunately not all wireless management tools
*coughs*windows zero*coughs* will tell you this level of detail.

Regards

skuba

San Francisco, CA
reply to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

it sounds like that rather than a "venn diagram" looking spread -- you're unbalanced.

Thanks. How can I change power levels on my primary router?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
said by skuba:

said by tubbynet:

Thanks. How can I change power levels on my primary router?

i've never played with an asus router. i'd assume that its a box in the "wireless" settings somewhere.
it may not be supported, in which case, you may have to put a third party f/w on it.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."