spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SafeMode

join:2011-10-08
Ajax, ON

[DSL] Very slow download speed. Bell says everything is OK!

Been Teksavvy customer since 2008 and never had any issues.
A week ago I upgraded to 15/1 DSL. The upgrade went well and after the technician installed the POTS splitter, I was getting 16M down. This joy lasted for three days. One morning I tested my speeds and was getting only from 2.3M to 5M down depending on the server (Teksavvy, Nexicom, Start). My upload speed is fine 0.78M and pings are from 12ms to 21ms. In order to troubleshoot, I bought a new modem (D-Link DSL-520B) and tested it at the inside demarc. I got only marginal improvements. Teksavvy opened up a ticket and the Bell technician showed up few hours later. I was impressed. He told me that the inside jack was not the demarc and installed one on the outside. He said that the line between inside jack and the outside demarc must be the culprit and Bell is not responsible to fix it. I told him about the diagnostic fee and he said not to worry since there was no actual demarc before. He said that everything looks just fine at Bell's end and he was closing the ticket. Before he left, he tried several different profiles to optimize my connection. I asked him what happens if I connect my new modem to the outside demarc and still get slow download speeds? He replied that that is not possible and if it is, then there is very little that Bell can do!?!? WTF!! Well, guess what. The download speed did not improve at the outside demarc.
I am asking Teksavvy to open another ticket and have Bell come to my house with a modem to verify the slow download speed. What could cause the modem stats to be normal or acceptable but the actual download speeds to be much slower? I am thinking that the Stinger (OSLAM) has a problem. Maybe Bell could try different port or check the line card. What if Bell refuses to do anything? What are my options? Anyone?

lowping

join:2013-08-04
said by SafeMode:

Been Teksavvy customer since 2008 and never had any issues.
A week ago I upgraded to 15/1 DSL. The upgrade went well and after the technician installed the POTS splitter, I was getting 16M down. This joy lasted for three days. One morning I tested my speeds and was getting only from 2.3M to 5M down depending on the server (Teksavvy, Nexicom, Start). My upload speed is fine 0.78M and pings are from 12ms to 21ms. In order to troubleshoot, I bought a new modem (D-Link DSL-520B) and tested it at the inside demarc. I got only marginal improvements. Teksavvy opened up a ticket and the Bell technician showed up few hours later. I was impressed. He told me that the inside jack was not the demarc and installed one on the outside. He said that the line between inside jack and the outside demarc must be the culprit and Bell is not responsible to fix it. I told him about the diagnostic fee and he said not to worry since there was no actual demarc before. He said that everything looks just fine at Bell's end and he was closing the ticket. Before he left, he tried several different profiles to optimize my connection. I asked him what happens if I connect my new modem to the outside demarc and still get slow download speeds? He replied that that is not possible and if it is, then there is very little that Bell can do!?!? WTF!! Well, guess what. The download speed did not improve at the outside demarc.
I am asking Teksavvy to open another ticket and have Bell come to my house with a modem to verify the slow download speed. What could cause the modem stats to be normal or acceptable but the actual download speeds to be much slower? I am thinking that the Stinger (OSLAM) has a problem. Maybe Bell could try different port or check the line card. What if Bell refuses to do anything? What are my options? Anyone?

Did he test with a Bell login to see if the speed are better ?

Also, is it possible for you to post your DSL stats here ?

SafeMode

join:2011-10-08
Ajax, ON
No, I did not see him do that.
Here are the stats from my new D-Link modem.

lowping

join:2013-08-04
reply to SafeMode
Well the stats are weird.

First you seem to be a 14mbps profile.

Your upload is at 7.9 SNR db, which is very borderline. But you don't seem to have any errors.

Overwall stats look good.

On the safe side, I would test at the dmarc with the modem directly plug modem and PC if possible.

If not, then another tech would be required. But it's possible you're suffering from congestion either from the Bell side or TSI.

And with a another ISP login, you can easily prove that.