share rss forum feed

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Frontier Communi..

Give it to me straight..

Recently I moved back to rural Ohio where I grew up to be closer to family for some peace of mind, my mother is getting older and I worry about her a lot. With that move I had to give up my WOW UltraTV service which I was completely in love with. I've been trying to get DSL from Frontier but I've been in a fight with them since 7/23/13 because they say I live too far away from the office to have DSL even though two homes further away than mine HAVE DSL service.

Cable isn't an option because Time Warner never ran service there, although they ran it on the road mine connects to. My Sprint service is enough for voice coverage but data is extremely spotty. I've tried the local WISP and it's hindered by hills. I could possibly get service through Verizon Wireless for 3G, possibly 4G LTE, but it seems like an awful lot of money for 10 gigs and the possibility of overages.

As far as I can tell it looks like my options are the Hotspot Plan from Millenicom, 20GB for $70/month, Exede-12, or HughesNet; I currently have Dish Network as my TV provider. My question is.. which of these is the lesser of two (three) evils? What's going to be the smartest choice financially, I guess? I'm used to playing stuff like Star Trek Online, GuildWars 2, SWTOR, and streaming Netflix; and of course I realize I'm not going to be able to stream Netflix unless I want to use up my data allowance pretty quickly, and I probably won't get to online game anymore.

But I would still like to feel connected. I would like to reliably update apps on my iPhone and iPad. I would like to be able to update my solo games like The Sims 3, Empire: Total War, Skyrim, and (God willing) Total War: Rome II. I'd like to shop online again, check Facebook reliably, buy eBooks, and just keep up on things in general.

I was thinking that Exede-12 might be a good option because of the LNFZ but I just see so many bad reviews for satellite in general. I'd love to hear from some customers who are happy with their satellite service, if any exist, and just get some feedback on this in general. Thanks ahead of time.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28

said by RogueJawa:

My question is.. which of these is the lesser of two (three) evils?

Unknown...YMMV...depending upon reception/transmission for cellphone....and number of users on your local cell-tower.

said by RogueJawa:

I just see so many bad reviews for satellite in general.

Sour grapes, in general....if your expecations are based upon today's technology, and a system setup correctly, one will find Exede's system with fewest issues...and todate, with better up/down speeds, especially on Exede-12.

Wildblue and Hughes, in previous birds, use to "stuff-em," so satellite gained a bad reputation. Wildblue sold out to ViaSat (Exede), and they have made a commitment not to "stuff-em" and they have closed various beams to new customers. My beam, for instance, is closed to new customers, and overall, speeds are good.

cordell

join:2013-01-24
Reidsville, NC
reply to RogueJawa

I had HughesNet for 3 years. I had the HN9000 version. I switched to Exede-12 about 2 months ago. The Hughes was slow, very slow at times.... but fairly reliable. Exede-12 is much better. I consistently get 12 mbps down, 3 mbps up. Many times the download speed is better than 20 mbps, even during evening hours. The data cap exists and there is latency with satellite.... but I have been completely satisfied with Exede. I have no other ISP options (other than Hughes), but Exede is so good that it has the "feel" of my workplace computer (35 mbps- fiber or T1). I have not had a video to buffer yet (ESPN, YouTube, educational sites, news sites)
I do not know how the games will work (because of latency), but for all other purposes, I would highly recommend Exede-12. But take the advice of others and order directly form Exede if you choose this route.

RogueJawa

Canal Winchester, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Frontier Communi..
reply to RogueJawa

Thank you both for the honest replies!

I'm kind of about to just tell Frontier to forget about it, unbundle my Dish service from them, order Exede. I'm not expecting miracles and their basic plan is the same price I would have paid for phone and internet from Frontier if I got both, $30 more than just their internet, or close to it at least. I'm not expecting a miracle and I know there will be service outages for weather and things that I just can't do because of the cap, but at least (hopefully) I would be able to download updates to my Steam and Origin games during the free period so I can play them offline.

Even if I have some service hiccups it's still better than the non-existant service I'm getting from Frontier. I'm just tired of going back and forth on this and want SOMETHING.

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

BTW, there is also Exede Voice too. See FAQ
»www.exede.com/voip/voipfrequentl···uestions

RogueJawa

Canal Winchester, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Frontier Communi..

If I needed voice I would probably sign up for that just to stick it to Frontier a little harder. Even with all the satellite horror stories you see it still seems preferable to what I've put up with from Frontier the past few weeks. It just seems like it's worth the gamble, especially with the good feedback I've gotten in this thread. I'm glad I asked here, it's tempered my fears about getting ripped off.

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05
reply to RogueJawa

Hotspot plan from Millenicom is Verizon service, but doesn't have free time, but has 20GB of anytime, and things like gaming work very well. I don't game, but got Star Trek Online just to try it (I like Trek stuff), it works great, no lag. Aside from the game downloads, being on a while doesn't take up much data. Depends on your area though, if you are in 4G, so borrow a 4G smartphone and check out your area first, keeping in mind you can get an external antenna if need be to get a better signal. Much better deal for 20GB than directly through Verizon, including their Homefusion option. This is 8 miles from the tower, through some trees, with a roof antenna. I don't notice any performance difference at any time of day.

Also, I don't know why people in range of cell service would get Exede voice, can't comprehend that. You can get a link to cell home phone system to connect to your existing cell service to be able to ring and dial out on multiple handsets in the house. Or Verizon has »www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/hpc.jsp which is cheaper if you can bundle it in with other services. Or if you can't bundle it in you can get the same service with »www.walmart.com/ip/22084643?wmls···&veh=sem , you pay up front for the device, but no contract and $15 for unlimited calling (generally no or little perceived taxes). Think any of these would be more reliable and a fair amount cheaper than sat. service for phone usage, if you already have good cell coverage....

Some areas the satellite service is congested. It's only Exede5 here, they didn't keep the beam open for 6 months for new or upgrading customers, closed it last year. Performance during daytime is improved, but generally not overly reliable. At night congestion kicks in, things like email pages/secure pages etc. don't load on the first try, or for a few minutes. I still hear (and see) about that from a few people that got upgraded. But the installers here are good, seldom do I hear about it going down, and any systems that have been checked or that I've looked at turn out fine. My Wildblue was never touched for any reason in the almost 7 years that I had it. Other than when they initially kicked in the traffic shaping, and when the severe congestion kicked in especially at the last, and that last imaginary data spike, it worked most of the time.

If your cell service isn't congested and is 4G, and the free nightime isn't a deal breaker, I'd pick cellular. One service you can download movies and download games (but not be able to play "fast twitch" online ones very well), the other service you could download a very small amount, but be able to play games.

RogueJawa

Canal Winchester, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Frontier Communi..

I have Sprint for cell service and it's okay for voice but I only get two bars and no 3G because of the relation of my house to the tower. I live in a heavily wooded valley. According to the Verizon coverage maps I'm considered 4G LTE Extended and the Millenicom coverage check only offered me the 3G Hotspot plan.

DrStrangLov

reply to Hltrancher

said by Hltrancher:

Some areas the satellite service is congested. It's only Exede5 here...

OP is located in an Exede-12 beam, and to my awareness, there is not a congestion issue on Exede-12 beams.

DrStrangLov

reply to Hltrancher

said by Hltrancher:

I don't know why people in range of cell service would get Exede voice, can't comprehend that.

Morality? Verizon gives/sells your data for a profit.

Its rather doubtful NSA will request en masse metadata from smaller "carriers."

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA

Another reason might be voice quality.

Sure, the Exede voice does have more delay than a typical cell phone call but the voice quality is quite a bit better than a cell phone call.

We use a higher bit rate vocoder than cell phones and the voice quality is more natural as a result.

Hltrancher

join:2012-11-05

said by DrStrangLov:

Morality? Verizon gives/sells your data for a profit.
Its rather doubtful NSA will request en masse metadata from smaller "carriers."

What would they tell them that they don't already know? Name, address, number, my personal discussions about the weather, what tractor I'm shopping for on ebay? I have nothing to hide. Do I like it? No, not at all. Are there other websites/services/cellphones/email carriers/etc. that track and monitor a person all the time? Sure.

said by viasatguy:

Another reason might be voice quality.

Sure, the Exede voice does have more delay than a typical cell phone call but the voice quality is quite a bit better than a cell phone call.

We use a higher bit rate vocoder than cell phones and the voice quality is more natural as a result.

That better voice quality would require both parties to be on a similar device, the other not on a cell phone. Kind of rare in this day and age.

I only have several hours experience with one over the course of more than a year. My aunt has one. I was the first call she tested it on, and several hours worth of calling since. Can't tell it from the landline, couldn't on day one when she called saying she got it, and then got the new one activated and called back on it. I see some complaining of quality, but if you look at the Walmart reviews of the Straight Talk device, a majority are very positive, including comments on the voice quality.

However, if you say the better voice quality is worth twice the price, I will agree that it would be for some people. My personal experience if I can't tell it from a land line, it's good enough. My opinion, but I know others would disagree.

DrStrangLov

reply to Hltrancher

said by Hltrancher:

Hotspot plan from Millenicom is Verizon service

Do keep in mind YMMV with 3G/4G. On three different towers of a different carrier in my area, the one near a highway has excellent 3G, but the other two don't deliver bandwidth. Here, it has to do with engineering decisions, usage pattern, and the blessing of bean counters. The other two towers are not overloaded, they see little usage; and the bean counters aren't going to increase bandwidth for low volume usage.

3G was the Rave, just a few years ago, and it too fizzled out when the "pilgrims" came aboard. Currently, smartphones are outselling basic cellphones...and your 4G service in metro areas are being loaded:

Super Slow 4G Speed in Chicago: "I have been paying for the 4G speed and T-mobile has been ripping me off and providing me with 2G speed only!"

So, for rural folks, YMMV on Verizon service...bean counters, expected usage patterns, and tech-limitations will determine actual bandwidth...not advertising.

At night congestion kicks in, things like email pages/secure pages etc. don't load on the first try, or for a few minutes.

Could I ask what beam this is on? It could be congestion, but it also could be a DNS server issue.

What would they tell them that they don't already know? Name, address, number, my personal discussions

I carry two cellphones when traveling, due to limited coverage via each carrier. Otherwise, I would dump Verizon's pre-paid...Verizon is like a MBA vulture.

It took legislation to clean up this pharmacy matter below...does Verizon spell out, in fine print, how they enrich their coffer on your data?

And You Thought a Prescription Was Private: August 8, 2009
Like many other people, Ms. Krinsk thought that her prescription information was private. But in fact, prescriptions, and all the information on them — including not only the name and dosage of the drug and the name and address of the doctor, but also the patient’s address and Social Security number — are a commodity bought and sold in a murky marketplace, often without the patients’ knowledge or permission.
»www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/busin···acy.html

RogueJawa

Canal Winchester, OH

I think I'm definitely going to give Exede a try. I don't need voice services, I wasn't even going to get that from the phone company. I'm tired of going back and forth on them and at this point I'd rather have something rather than nothing.

Exede Zac

join:2013-03-06
Davenport, IA
kudos:1
reply to RogueJawa

Hello Jwhitaker148,

I know I'm not a customer. But for some experience with what we provide, I'd like to pass some information to you.

With Exede, we do provide customers with 3 packages to choose from based on your Internet activity. Exede does allow you to monitor your Facebook, shop online, buy eBooks and browse the web. You can update your apps and games. However, this can accumulate more data than other activities so for it we offer the Late Night Free Zone (12Midnight - 5AM) each night for unmetered data.
Netflix is perfect during these hours because you get all the streamed videos you can handle in that time frame.

If you have other questions that you would like to ask me, I'll be more than happy to assist you. Email me at exedelistens@viasat.com with your name and phone number please! Thank you.
--
Exede Zac
Exede Internet Social Media Escalations

wh7qq

join:2012-06-12
reply to RogueJawa

Be very careful about what you connect to your router/modem. Seemingly innocent devices like BluRay players can be enormous BW hogs if allowed to run unchecked. They can run you over the cap in a day or less depending on how you use them.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to RogueJawa

I'm currently very pleased with my Exede-12 service. I would be pleased with HughesNet Gen4 except that I only get my "up to" speeds while everyone else is at work. Besides gaming, the latency issue is something you'll get used to.

One problem with satellite Internet which hasn't been mentioned is that secure connections (https via SSL) cannot be compressed, and https sites load very slowly. There was already a growing trend towards https before the public saw the "tip of the iceberg" of what the NSA is doing. Regardless of "Ma" and "Pa"'s complacency on the matter, the shift towards encrypted communications is going to accelerate. Here is an article from the Financial Times about the matter: »www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ab28f708-0a7e···dc0.html (Registration is required, but it is free.)

--
Gen4 - Beam 51 / Time Capsule (3rd gen), Exede 12 / Airport Express (2nd gen), OSX Snow Leopard

DrStrangLov

said by james1979:

...the shift towards encrypted communications is going to accelerate.

Sidebar -

The U.S. government has attempted to obtain the master encryption keys that Internet companies use to shield millions of users' private Web communications from eavesdropping.

"The government is definitely demanding SSL keys from providers," said one person who has responded to government attempts to obtain encryption keys.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

said by DrStrangLov:

"The government is definitely demanding SSL keys from providers,"

Another side note is that site certificates can be spoofed. This was also "leaked", but that was already known.

»www.grc.com/fingerprints.htm

(With thanks to dbirdman for the GRC link.)

Read the part about how Nokia decrypted "secure" connection so that they could compress the data. As more websites become "secure", satellite ISPs and their customers are going to have to make some choices about privacy versus speed and data usage.