spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clueless115

@puregig.net

Teksavvy vs. Voltage?

Hi, does anyone know what is going on with this? Last I heard was the judge was going on vacation and would make a decision afterwards. It's been a month? Thanks

onlinejunkie
Premium
join:2002-10-26
Orleans, ON

1 edit
I was wondering the same because a story came out of the news the other day that a community in Ottawa showed movies in PUBLIC ...so this is against the law for showing "in whole or in part" .. sure they probably were not making money for the showing of the movie, but Im sure they were making money for some other part like selling some other things... Im sure there was some sort of benefit...

the other thing that stuck out was that they are only charged 200$/movie (so just over 2000$ for showing movies for 3 years) for public broadcasting... but these lawfirms want 10's of thousands of dollars from end users ... am i looking at this wrong?

»www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainm···ory.html

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to Clueless115
Things tend to slow down during the summer what with vacations and cruises. So after the summer is over Voltage will get back to the business of suing these copyright thieves.

onlinejunkie
Premium
Orleans, ON
im just wondering why its cheaper to be sued for copyright infringement as a "community" and show the movie for public viewing then to download and view as a individual user... does not make sense... seems to me the showing the movie in public would be a bigger infringement.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Because P2P isn't just downloading a copy, especially with BitTorrent, its also facilitating in the provision of alleged copyright material. For instance while you're downloading, you're also uploading completed portions of a file and once its complete possibly seeding the file. The industry sees this as larger infringement than just making a copy.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to ChuckcZar
What theives, they're imaginary boogymens!

onlinejunkie
Premium
Orleans, ON
reply to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Because P2P isn't just downloading a copy, especially with BitTorrent, its also facilitating in the provision of alleged copyright material. For instance while you're downloading, you're also uploading completed portions of a file and once its complete possibly seeding the file. The industry sees this as larger infringement than just making a copy.

so if your not using bit torrent to download its not as big of infringment... so watching it online at a site or downloading it via a site is not as bad... Im confused, to me it should all be the same, shouldnt it?

Anon99

@rogers.com
Oh I can't wait for the long winter of battles to start again which hopefully go no where like usual. copyright fight it dead as soon as these businesses understand this they can start to make some money off of the new age and stop wasting money for these pointless court cases.
Expand your moderator at work