join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House Dig..
·Vonage
·Bright House

Monthly modem charge

Well I read a lot about it, and BHN is now introducing the monthly modem charge in my area. Yay...

I have been thinking of buying a new modem and just having that be my modem instead of having the BHN supplied one. I was actually thinking about buying TWO so that I could have one in a drawer, and can instantly replace it should there ever be a problem.

That said do you guys have any suggestions (type and website) on the most cost effective cable MODEM ONLY (don't need router) that is supported by Bright House??? The cost for modems that I see are beyond ridiculous

kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
Do the math on the BH monthly charge for 12 months and compare that to the decent modems. If you have anything over turbo, you will need a D3 modem. The math still puts BH ahead. It would take 24 months to break even, assuming your modem didn't go bad in that time. Now if you have another reason besides avoiding the charge, ok, but the math doesn't add up to buy your own just because of that.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to Milkman
MM the modem must be on our approved modems list...don't forget that part and you should get a D3 even if your level of service doesn't warrant it now.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to Milkman
I highly recommend the Motorola SB6141 its on the approved modems list and its what i use.
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/
OMG i just noticed the popular Motorola SB6121 is finally on the approved list , it wasn't for the longest time
Its ok i got my SB6141 that can handle upto 8 bonded channels and is more future proof

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Guide_Tim:

I highly recommend the Motorola SB6141 its on the approved modems list and its what i use.
»support.brighthouse.com/article/···ce-9109/
OMG i just noticed the popular Motorola SB6121 is finally on the approved list , it wasn't for the longest time
Its ok i got my SB6141 that can handle upto 8 bonded channels and is more future proof

Snuck that one in and you never even noticed...lol
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Milkman

Brooksville, FL
reply to Milkman
Yes definitely looking at D3 modems.

That is what I was looking at too Tim since I like Motorola modems so much, but damn man.. $82.00 (through Amazon) is outrageous for just a modem (IMO). I dunno....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Milkman
You don't want to know what they cost us Suffice it to say a retail D3 modem at that price isn't bad.

Milkman

Brooksville, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Dig..
·Vonage
·Bright House
said by BHNtechXpert:

You don't want to know what they cost us Suffice it to say a retail D3 modem at that price isn't bad.

I would imagine they cost you next to nothing since you purchase in huge quantity.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Milkman:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I would imagine they cost you next to nothing since you purchase in huge quantity.

Wrong...one would think that is the case but it isn't. Same goes for boxes. They are much cheaper now than a few years ago but people would be amazed.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Milkman

Brooksville, FL
Well if they don't cost a good amount less than retail, someone has got to be doing something wrong.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Milkman:

Well if they don't cost a good amount less than retail, someone has got to be doing something wrong.

No its just that margins are slim on anything tech related these days...very very slim even in mass quantities...
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Milkman
Unless of course it's an iPad....